Colorado 300

Not only not waterproof, but not rainproof either. I carry mine in a ziplock bag when anywhere near moisture. Even if you follow Garmins suggestion to make sure it's closed tightly it still leaks. Don't lubricate the gaskets with a petroleum product such as grease as it will ruin the gasket. According to Garmin even though water gets inside the case it won't enter the battery compartment or card slot. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

I have bought a Colorado 300 Qs how do you delete geocaches that you have found as I can't seem to be able to find anywhere that you can

If you do a pocket query and have one GPX file with multiple caches, I believe you can remove those caches from the GPX file with GSAK. Otherwise you can re-run the pocket query and tell it to ignore the caches you have found, then load it over the old GPX file.

If you downloaded a GPX file for each cache with the sent to GPS feature, you can simply delete the file pertaining to that cache.

Ok over the weekend I accidently drop my colorado in a creek. Reached in a pulled it out and shook some water out of it. Colorado still was working during and after the dip in the creek. When I got it home, the battery compartment and SD card were bone dry. No water got into the circuitry. I think it handled up to what it was advertised to do.

Ok over the weekend I accidently drop my colorado in a creek. Reached in a pulled it out and shook some water out of it. Colorado still was working during and after the dip in the creek. When I got it home, the battery compartment and SD card were bone dry. No water got into the circuitry. I think it handled up to what it was advertised to do.

Good to hear that somebody's unit is OK. There were nasty rumors that at least one production run had the wrong size gaskets for the SD slot. No matter how tightly you closed the unit, it would leak. I believe Garmin was replacing those via RMA.

And you do need to make sure the cover is pushed all the way up to ensure a good seal for the SD slot. Do not depend on the latch to close it for you.

B) Thanks for the reply, that is a bit naff of garmin not allowing you to delete found geocaches

A quick question as to how you are loading the cache info in the first place? I think most of us here use Pocket Queries and so the usage pattern hasn't really bothered us.

I have almost all of my caches stored in pocket query files of 100 or 500 caches apiece covering the cities or towns that I plan to visit soon. For the number of caches I find out of them it isn't that big of a deal that their info isn't deleted since when I mark them found on the CO/OR it omits them from searches and shows them as found on the map. By the time I would find a significant number of caches in a given GPX file, enough time has passed that I already would want to rerun the pocket query in order to get updated logs, newer caches, and omit ones that are archived or out of order. I set my queries to omit caches that I've found so the storage will be reclaimed as soon as I get an updated query file to reload.

Now, if you load the caches one by one using "Send to GPS", then you'd need to delete the GPX files for the caches you found and not the ones you haven't. This could be time consuming and frustrating since the files are named after the GC code rather than anything you might easily remember from finding them. This is probably where GSAK and its friends could help as they could combine your GPX files into a single file that had them all listed and provide some easy ways for you to identify and delete the found ones - but the default way of going onto the unit as a file system and deleting the specific GPX files for the found caches would indeed be frustrating.

It might be enough for Garmin to provide a way to delete the GPX files for which all caches have been found - this would include the ones loaded using "Send to GPS" since they only have one cache per file. Such a feature wouldn't be a priority for those of us who manage the info using pocket queries or GSAK, though...

guys;

I must be missing something...when you log a cache on the Colorado it moves from one file w/ all the cache listings to a found file - or at least a found state. Cuz, you can do a view finds and see the finds versus the to be found caches.

pocket queries aren't intelligent (not sure why?) enough to exclude found caches and/or your own caches (simple radial button and background filtering?). BUT, for a few dollars investment in GSAK, you can easily filter out those finds as well as your placements AND name your cache w/ added details, etc, etc, etc. GSAK is cheap for what it does folks and it isn't that complicated!!! You can even deal w/ the nag screen for a long long time before (i) you break down and pay for it.

I must be missing something...when you log a cache on the Colorado it moves from one file w/ all the cache listings to a found file - or at least a found state. Cuz, you can do a view finds and see the finds versus the to be found caches.

It doesn't "move" the cache, it simply makes a note in the geocache_visits.txt file - the GPX file is unchanged.

pocket queries aren't intelligent (not sure why?) enough to exclude found caches and/or your own caches (simple radial button and background filtering?).

Well, they aren't intelligent, but you are given the option to filter out 'found' caches when creating the PQ.