Walking speed, Oregon

Gimbal1

The speed reported by the Oregon (while walking) is VERY unstable. The numbers vary a lot, even the occasional 0.0 flickers by. My old legend is rock solid in comparison.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Definitely. I was hoping the "GPS improvements" in 2.3 might be addressing this but I don't seen any differences between 2.2 and 2.3 with accuracy or with "low speed" stability. The best way to see this is watch your "Stopped Time" while walking. On a normal 2-3mph walk where I don't stop (and the 60csx and CO both confirm this) I'll see a lot of stopped time on the Oregon. Similar to you I also see the speed indicator periodically drop to 0 as I'm walking along at a constant speed.

GO$Rs

The speed reported by the Oregon (while walking) is VERY unstable. The numbers vary a lot, even the occasional 0.0 flickers by. My old legend is rock solid in comparison.

Has anyone else noticed this?

This sounds very similar to early problems with the HCx series- couldn't detect speeds below 2 mph- now I thing I don't see anything lower than 0.7 mph but it still jumps a bit.

here you have a comparsion of walking-speed (with some breaks)

Oregon 300 - Gpsmap 60 CSX - Vista HCX

all of them with the newest firmware

vergleich-3-speedpxn.jpg

more information with the original tracklog --> http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?t=31194

The 3 pictures above are made with the excellent tool GPS-Track-Analyse --> http://www.gps-freeware.de/Default.aspx

Edited by freeday