placing a cache in a park

garynlyssa

Depends on the park.

Yep. What he said.

Here in the Houston area, if you are hiding a cache in a regional metro park outside of Houston proper you have tacit approval, because ParkerPlus and I got that approval at a regional Park Director's meeting 5 years ago and I have maintained a local lifeline with the succession directors over the years.

Our park directors immediately saw the benifit of geotourism to their local communities and we barely had to point it out. :)

No one has stepped over the line hiding a cache in that time so specific permission is not yet a requirement here. :)

Depends on the park.

Yep. What he said.

Ditto.

In Seminole County Florida, our public lands are divided amongst four different agencies:

Seminole County Parks & Recreation = hide what you want, where you want. They'd rather not know about it.

Seminole County Natural Lands = A tremendously limiting policy regarding placement, requiring explicit permission.

State of Florida, Division of Forestry = No new caches allowed.

St. John's River Water Management District = A simple application process.

So, even in the second smallest county in the state, the "rules" vary greatly from site to site. If you contact your reviewer, giving them the GC number of the existing cache, they should be able to help you determine if permission is required or implied.

Post script: Great choice on the container for your first hide! :)

Edited by Clan Riffster

By definition on http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx you need permission for ANY (and ALL) of your hides.

Parks should be much easier to find the guiding authority as opposed to nearly every other place a cache is planted nowadays.

The guidelines do not require explicit permission for every cache placement. In general, permission for caches placed in parks is required for those parks that require permission.

By definition on http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx you need permission for ANY (and ALL) of your hides.

Parks should be much easier to find the guiding authority as opposed to nearly every other place a cache is planted nowadays.

The guidelines state "adequate permission". There are many park systems that don't require permission, so to go to them and demand permission would be absurd. If no permission is required you have adequate permission to place your cache.

If there is already a cache at one of the parks in my area do I still need to get permission from the park to place another?

Most parks allow casual recreational activities. Geocaching is exactly that. Where parks allow casual activities they allow caching. If they have specificlly decided to regulate caching, you need to follow the regs.

If there is already a cache at one of the parks in my area do I still need to get permission from the park to place another?

More importantly, the guidelines state that just because something was done in the past, it may not neccessarily be able to be done today. There is no precedant.

If that previous cache in that park was yours, then perhaps you still need to get permission for a new cache in that park, unless the park managers gave carte blanch for caches or carte blanch for your own caches in that park. But