Wyoming 2008

AtwellFamily

A little pre-info as to why I want to make a Wyoming coin: I lived in Cheyenne, WY most of my life. In fact my parents are still there and I have some geocaching friends from there also.

Is there enought interest to make either coin or a 2 coin set? If someone is working on a Wyoming coin already please contact me and let me know. I would like to help or will wait till next year on this.

2ATF-141.jpg

2ATF-140.jpg

Mike,

You know I would buy a set. I did here some chatter about a Wyoming coin, but don't know how far it has progressed. You might want to contact Wyohunter (Rex) as he was the one talking about doing a Wyoming coin. I know there are a bunch of people out there who are leery about a coin from Wyoming because apparently there was one made, money taken and the coin not delivered to many of the people who paid for it. I was not around during that time, but I know some Wyoming cachers who stopped buying coins after that fiasco. I know any coin you design and have made will be delivered to the people who paid for it. I trust you! Perhaps you can drop a thread on the WAG forums. That way you can see if there are others in Wyoming interested in purchasing a new Wyoming coin. Not all coiners in Wyoming frequent the Groundspeak coin forums. Jodi

BTW.. I like your design!

edit: spelling

Edited by Team FIREBOY

The design is nice but in my own personal, biased opionion: State coins should be left to the people who live in them unless they contacted someone who currently doesn't reside in the state to do the coin. At minimum, get with the residents of WY and talk to them first.

This may not bother others but it bothers me (not that it matters to you B) ). I lived many years in Minnesota and I would never dream of doing a Minnesota coin. If I were ever to consider doing something like (which I'm not). I would make it more of a personal coin with MN flavor.

Anyhow, I know you'll do what you want but I sure hope you talk to some WY residents or I think there may be some hurt feelings. Some people feel very strongly about their State.

Just don't come out 4 months later and say you lived in Montana and "what do you think of this design." B)

Again just my thoughts and feelings, guess I take this a bit more personal.

The design is nice but in my own personal, biased opionion: State coins should be left to the people who live in them unless they contacted someone who currently doesn't reside in the state to do the coin. At minimum, get with the residents of WY and talk to them first.

This may not bother others but it bothers me (not that it matters to you B) ). I lived many years in Minnesota and I would never dream of doing a Minnesota coin. If I were ever to consider doing something like (which I'm not). I would make it more of a personal coin with MN flavor.

Anyhow, I know you'll do what you want but I sure hope you talk to some WY residents or I think there may be some hurt feelings. Some people feel very strongly about their State.

Just don't come out 4 months later and say you lived in Montana and "what do you think of this design." B)

Lived in Montano no, but I was born in the back seat of a car while driving through state. Just get a picture of that coin would you B)B)B)

That is why I am asking the question and trying to see if anyone was working on a design. Wyoming will always have a place in my heart.

And contray to your assumption I ask for feedback and will take it.

I like the coins.

Isn't there already an Indian Paintbrush coin by Crake?

Yep.

PaintbrushNickel_store.jpg

this is not a state coin, but rather a botanical coin. i think if someone wants to put out a wyoming coin because he loves the place or used to live there, no problem. if someone else gets their nose bent out of shape, that is THEIR problem.

lara/rsg

I like the coins.

Yep.

this is not a state coin, but rather a botanical coin. i think if someone wants to put out a wyoming coin because he loves the place or used to live there, no problem. if someone else gets their nose bent out of shape, that is THEIR problem.

lara/rsg

Actually, the problem ends up being that some of the state organizations use coin sales as fund raisers for our groups. In Texas, coin sales help us pay for our Texas Challenge, among other projects that promote geocaching in our state.

I like the coins.

Yep.

lara/rsg

Actually, the problem ends up being that some of the state organizations use coin sales as fund raisers for our groups. In Texas, coin sales help us pay for our Texas Challenge, among other projects that promote geocaching in our state.

i still don't see an issue. there are several coins dedicated to texas. i don't know which was designed by whom for what unless an event name is part of the coin. so atwell wants to make a wyoming coin - why is that a problem for others making wyoming coins, unless you are talking about taking money away from folks that make state coins that live there.

not trying to be difficult here, i just have a problem with people telling others what they can and can't do when it doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. so far i haven't seen a wyoming coin that i have to have. a couple of texas ones have caught my eye though. isn't that the final decider? what appeals to the buyer?

rsg

I like the coins.

Yep.

lara/rsg

i still don't see an issue. there are several coins dedicated to texas. i don't know which was designed by whom for what unless an event name is part of the coin. so atwell wants to make a wyoming coin - why is that a problem for others making wyoming coins, unless you are talking about taking money away from folks that make state coins that live there.

not trying to be difficult here, i just have a problem with people telling others what they can and can't do when it doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. so far i haven't seen a wyoming coin that i have to have. a couple of texas ones have caught my eye though. isn't that the final decider? what appeals to the buyer?

rsg

I'm not telling Atwell what he can or can't do. He can make the coin or not.

We aren't talking about taking money away from folks who live here, we are talking about fundraising for our non-profit group. Those funds are used to promote geocaching in the state. Our state organization funds the annual Texas Challenge. TXGA has also donated to many of the statewide events. We would not have the funds to do this without coin sales, as we do not charge to join our group. So it isn't an issue of lining individuals pockets on the state side.

The issue is that the group trying to raise funds for a geocaching group vs. someone making a coin for personal profit.

lara/rsg

Funny thing here in Colorado. The organization did their own coin and we had no issues overlapping sales becasue I waited. I even asked if they wanted to buy a number at wholesale price and sell them now that they sold almost all the organization coins and figuring people would want a different Colorado coin before they bought the same one again. The organization passed. I am still donnating a number of them to event and letting event host buy at the wholesale rate and the coins are moving pretty when (26 at the last event).

I understand what you are saying and that is why I posted here and work closly with the organization in Colorado when I produced the coin.

Edited by Atwell Family

The issue is that the group trying to raise funds for a geocaching group vs. someone making a coin for personal profit.

and both can't be done? now i am really confused! it must be a confusing evening for me. B)

lara

If you do them at the same time, you risk both coins having less sales. Not everybody has unlimited funds to buy every coin that comes out.

I remember about a year ago, someone came out with an event coin, without getting with the event organizers. They had their own coin in the works. Would that be okay?

How about me coming out with a LadyBee4T personal coin?

I don't think it has anything to do with people telling others when or what coin they can mint. It's more like asking if making such a coin is going to be stepping on others' toes or coin efforts already in the works. Mike is just being conscientious and considerate member of a pretty tight (and small) community.

In answer to the OP: I already have 2 Wyoming state coins and would not pass up another. Also I like the Indian Bottlebrush backside to the Meadowlark even though I also have a couple of CRAKE's Bottlebrush coins.

Edited by Droo

I say make the coin. Who cares where you live. We all live in America, at least I most of us.

Do I have to be from the state to own the coin as well? :laughing::laughing::laughing: .

Nice design :(B)B)

This may not bother others but it bothers me (not that it matters to you :anicute: ). I lived many years in Minnesota and I would never dream of doing a Minnesota coin. If I were ever to consider doing something like (which I'm not). I would make it more of a personal coin with MN flavor.

Just don't come out 4 months later and say you lived in Montana and "what do you think of this design." :sad:

and both can't be done? now i am really confused! it must be a confusing evening for me. :laughing:

lara

If you do them at the same time, you risk both coins having less sales. Not everybody has unlimited funds to buy every coin that comes out.

I remember about a year ago, someone came out with an event coin, without getting with the event organizers. They had their own coin in the works. Would that be okay?

how many people came out with their own version of geowoodstock 6 event coins? LOTS! it is rather the survival of the fittest, the cooler coins, (or whatever) sold better than others. that is the chance you take when you design and sell a coin.

>>How about me coming out with a LadyBee4T personal coin?<<

well, that would be silly now, wouldn't it, since you are NOT the person in question - there wouldn't be much point to it.

where on a coin does it say you have to live in that state to make that state coin. or in the "rules" of geocoin making.

hey, my people were early pioneers in texas, still have folks there. i used to live in texas, but not now. does that mean i shouldn't make a coin honouring my memories of texas or my heritage? or any of the other states i have lived in?

do all the people that design coins with a celtic theme, come from a celtic background?

it is one thing being considerate of others, perhaps not make a state coin at the same time as another is being released.

this may be a small community, but let's not try to make it so restrictive.

just another sleepless night thought - or several of them. time to design my redshoes of texas and montana coin. :laughing:

rsg

and both can't be done? now i am really confused! it must be a confusing evening for me. :laughing:

lara

how many people came out with their own version of geowoodstock 6 event coins? LOTS! it is rather the survival of the fittest, the cooler coins, (or whatever) sold better than others. that is the chance you take when you design and sell a coin.

>>How about me coming out with a LadyBee4T personal coin?<<

well, that would be silly now, wouldn't it, since you are NOT the person in question - there wouldn't be much point to it.

where on a coin does it say you have to live in that state to make that state coin. or in the "rules" of geocoin making.

hey, my people were early pioneers in texas, still have folks there. i used to live in texas, but not now. does that mean i shouldn't make a coin honouring my memories of texas or my heritage? or any of the other states i have lived in?

do all the people that design coins with a celtic theme, come from a celtic background?

it is one thing being considerate of others, perhaps not make a state coin at the same time as another is being released.

this may be a small community, but let's not try to make it so restrictive.

just another sleepless night thought - or several of them. time to design my redshoes of texas and montana coin. :laughing:

rsg

Again, I never said there was a rule that Mike could not make this coin. He can. I was stating the possible repercussions for others.

Why is the fact that I state my opinion on his coin, making anything restrictive? I'm just one person.

This is just one person's opinion. I will buy state coins from the state organizations before I will buy them from individuals. I would much rather support a state or local org. They are the backbone of geocaching.

Look forward to your RSG of Texas. My personal coins is shaped like Texas, but it is clearly a personal coin, and not for sale.

The samples for the official Texas coin will be here in a couple of weeks.

Atwell Family asked for opinions, some of us gave them to Atwell Family (even if our opinion was was not agreeable with some of you).

The State coin issue has been hashed out in other threads. I don't think this thread was intended to hash out the issue again.

Some of you are just spiteful or always looking to argue with someone else's opinion.

How hard is it to just give your opinion to the OP and move on instead of egging someone else on because you don't agree with what we/they said? Start your own thread or dig up one of the old ones if you feel the need to debate.

I can see why the majority lurk on these threads. Posting less and less myself these days....

Mike sorry your thread is getting derailed and with this post I'm partly to blame I suppose. I still have the same opinion but I will be interested to see what comes of the coin, like I said before I do believe it is a nice design :laughing:

Edited by tsunrisebey

Atwell Family asked for opinions, some of us gave them to Atwell Family (even if our opinion was was not agreeable with some of you).

The State coin issue has been hashed out in other threads. I don't think this thread was intended to hash out the issue again.

Some of you are just spiteful or always looking to argue with someone else's opinion.

How hard is it to just give your opinion to the OP and move on instead of egging someone else on because you don't agree with what we/they said? Start your own thread or dig up one of the old ones if you feel the need to debate.

I can see why the majority lurk on these threads. Posting less and less myself these days....

Mike sorry your thread is getting derailed and with this post I'm partly to blame I suppose. I still have the same opinion but I will be interested to see what comes of the coin, like I said before I do believe it is a nice design :laughing:

No problem, I requested thread to be closed. due to the fact it is not the train I got on. :laughing:

sorry if this has been hashed out before, and for the thread derailment.