Another new reviewer

MBFace

Well lets make Alba15 be made welcome. Don't want her to start off thinking we are a right nippy pickety bunch (we never winge on here do we??) :)

Well Done Geoki on taking up the challenge of Reviewer and working alongside Deceanci and Graculus. About time we had a female on our reviewing team!! :D

With a large gathering of Scots in the glens this weekend, and rumours flying of a new recruit, I doubt Deceangi would have been able to keep it quiet much longer.

Now how do I abbreviate Alba15, hmmm? :)

We do indeed have a new member of the reviewing team in the UK. Welcome to Alba15 aka Geoki aka Carol.

Once her powers are switched on the 3 of us will get into a huddle and burst out of it all fired up ready to publish and manage your caches :)

Graculus

(no longer the newbie reviewer :D:):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::huh: )

I wondered why Deci had gone up to GITG - that's out of his comfort zone for a weekend trip usually!!!

Congratulations ALBA15!

First off my apologises for not making the official announcement, the attendance at the Glens was planned months before I ended up the only UK Reviewer as a family holiday. As such I was under orders to have a break from the PC!

As to why the announcement was made at the Glens, thats simple. Carol was there, I was there so it made it a even more special occasion for her to be officially announced in front of Scottish cachers. It was a moral boost for me to see the disappointment when I announced that that would be the Last Glens event I would Review and a joy on see the looks of joy when it was announced that there was a new Scottish based Reviewer. It was event more fantastic to see the warm welcome Carol received when she finally stepped up after winding everyone up :)

So A official warm welcome from me

Oh and Hazel I'm sure there will be a few photos posted to the event, of me in a Cilt [Kilt if your Scottish] :):D

First off i'd like to take this chance to thank all that have either posted here, on geofrees, geoX and GAGB. I'd also like to thank the cachers that have sent me personal emails congratulating me on taking up the challenge of being the [first] Scottish reviewer.

The whole weekend has been fantastic. We, as a family, love the GITG and this year we were looking forward to it just as much, then just after the Harrogate mega i recieved the email from Deceangi asking whether i would consider the position. I was amazed that i had even been put forward by some of the scottish cachers, there are plenty out there with far more experience and years than me. A lot of thought and talk to both my husband [who started us off in this mad pastime that i admit is an addiction for me!!] and Deci, and then the space to think about the proposition led me to accepting it.

I know that the announcement on Saturday evening after an action packed day was the icing on the cake, and yes it did feel great seeing the shock on my friends [as lot of the cachers up here are indeed friends] faces especially Tracy from the 4brochers who happened to be out the night before on her first ever night caching experience with me. Here's a wee snippet of the log from the cache

‘We'd just got through the gate [and over the fence] when another car pulled along side.

'Geocachers by any chance?' asked the driver.

'What gives it away; it's getting dark, gps in hand and a few more to tick off this evening?'

I extended my hand and introduced myself as Carol [Mrs Geoki] and Tracy. He replied 'I'm Dave' I asked 'Dave from…?'

With this the passenger leaned forward and said ' He's royalty!' For me the penny dropped, but Tracy hadn’t a scoobie, so I turned and said ‘He’s Decci, the moderator’. They were on route to Scott lodge, so we left them and carried on, we had more caches to get.

[i couldn’t help chuckling to myself though as the weekend was going to progress in a way that only Mr G, Dave and I knew about teehee]’

The congratulaions from all the cachers there meant a great deal. It was nerve wracking stepping forward from the crowd, they could have reacted in a negative way then who would have egg on her face!

So i look forward to working in partnership with Deceangi and Graculus. I also look forward to all the challenges that this position brings and helping work with the Scottish caching community.

Oh and the name, well it's the old Scottish Gaelic name for Scotland and covers the whole of Scotland so seemed appropriate.

Well i think that's everything apart from...this is the longest post i think i have ever done [even as Geoki!!] B)

[oh and does this now mean that Graculus and me are royalty in training?!? B) ]

Edited by Alba15

[oh and does this now mean that Graculus and me are royalty in training?!? B) ]

Training? B) After this weekend it was more a baptism by fire! It has been busy but I've learned a huge amount about the job. It's basically easy: Reject, Reject, Reject, Reject. Half the caches never reappear so thats cuts the work right down! B)

Joking aside, all caches submissions, all emails and all 'needs archived' logs are given the same tender loving care by yours truly.

dnd_mi_20060511a_picMain_en.jpg

Graculus

So back up to three reviewers (subject to training of course... B) ) but will each reviewer have responsibility for a specific area as before or is there a different set-up this time?

Just wondering...

So long as all three concentrate on caches put out in Cumbria, (especially by me) I don't see any need to prioritise any other area. B)

Edited by Johnmelad

How about a Flood Light :laughing:

The local Reviewer/s decide that the current workload justifies the need for a new team member [which in this case was me :D ]

They then look for suitable candidates [in the case of the current situation I asked the community for suggestions]

Once a suitable candidate is found, this persons name is submitted to Groundspeak [who own Geocaching.com] for initial approval.

If this is received, the person is then put before the whole Reviewer community for their opinions.

If the person passes this stage, they then go back to Groundspeak for final approval.

Once this is given, then and only then is the person approached and asked to join the Reviewer community :D [and thats a nerve wracking time for the person doing the asking (me :D )]

If they say yes a official announcement is made, if no the local reviewers go back to stage 2 and start again.

Moderators are a different situation.

Groundspeak identifies a need for a new moderator, and identifies a suitable candidate. They then canvas the opinion off other moderators. Before asking the person to become a moderator.

Flood Lights turned off :D

Groundspeak identifies a need for a new moderator, and identifies a suitable candidate. They then canvas the opinion off other moderators. Before asking the person to become a moderator.

Even now I live and learn :cry: I never knew that. During my time forum moderators came from the local reviewing community. I admit to not following the process since we lumberedasked you to join us so maybe things have changed.

On that topic, are there any suggestions that we might get another UK moderator to help mandarin?

Edited by The Hornet

Even now I live and learn :) I never knew that. During my time forum moderators came from the local reviewing community. I admit to not following the process since we lumberedasked you to join us so maybe things have changed.

On that topic, are there any suggestions that we might get another UK moderator to help mandarin?

Due to a huge increase in workloads, a decision was taken to separate Reviewing and Moderating into 2 separate roles. So you will not see Mandarin Reviewing caches [she's got more sense B) ], and you will not see Alba15 or Graculus Moderating the forums.

And I've gone back to the same role I filled with you, that of back up Moderator :). As for the future and new forum Mods, sorry but at this point I have no idea what will develop ;)

Groundspeak identifies a need for a new moderator, and identifies a suitable candidate.

Those two steps include the current moderators of the thread in question. The most common way for Groundspeak to identify the need and the candidate is when the current moderator says,

"HELP, I need help in this forum. I think we should ask (secret name here) to help me in this forum". Normally the current mod/mods are the ones best suited to make a recommendation.