Question about Stealth

screech20

I am planning to go to a local park with gym sets, a baseball diamond, sand box, etc. The cache is hidden in the park somewhere. How much do I have to hide me looking for something, let alone when/if I find it?

Please clarify how stealthy one has to be, do I have to train to be a Ninja? :D:D

I am planning to go to a local park with gym sets, a baseball diamond, sand box, etc. The cache is hidden in the park somewhere. How much do I have to hide me looking for something, let alone when/if I find it?

Please clarify how stealthy one has to be, do I have to train to be a Ninja? :D:D

I wouldnt try to be so stealthy that you DO draw attention to yourself. Maybe if you have one take the family dog out for walk, bring a small child with or pretend your on your cell phone and just strolling and having a conversation. I find that cloak and dagger tactics out in the open dont work too well. Happy hunting.

Edited by Boyscout64

I'd definately agree on taking a dog or kids with you, kids can get away with rummaging around and looking for stuff and nobody bats an eyelid. I often pretend to be on my phone and wander around casually looking at hiding places and kicking piles of leaves too.

If you need to wait for people to clear the area then sitting or leaning aginst something while you check your phone or diary, or rummaging in your backpack for something are good techniques.

There are two good times for attempting a cache at a park like that. Either go when the park is packed (a softball tournament, for example) or empty (raining, mid-day in the middle of the week, middle of winter, etc.).

If the park is packed there are too many people doing wierd things for anyone to notice you. If the park is empty then no one will see you. If you go when the only people there are mothers watching their children play in the sand box then they'll watch you like a hungry hawk watches a mouse.

Also, most important of all, don't *act* stealthy. Act like you belong there, and everyone will assume that you belong there.

Please clarify how stealthy one has to be, do I have to train to be a Ninja? :):D

It seems to me that carrying all of that stuff with you would be an awful lot of work just to try to be stealthy. :) Really, the best way to be stealthy is to just act natural and as if you have a reason to be there, which you do. Go about your business without the furtive looks over your shoulder and you should be just fine. I second the comment about how the moms with little kids will watch. That is the time to move on to another cache.

I've got one of those obnoxious orange-with-neon-stripes safety vest in my truck. I've thought it would be a great idea for cover some time. It's like a licence for peculiar activity. I don't think anyone would give a second look to someone in a safety vest and a GPSr poking around somewhere. It would be pretty easy to assume you were on some official mission, especially if you had a hard hat too! Take a clip-board with the cache print-out even, helps make it look like you are filling out some official paperwork for 'your job.'

Thank you very much. There were a couple people there. We took our dogs, so it went easy as pie. Never found it though. It was my first time and still trying to figure out exactly what I am looking for. Had a great time in the sun and it was fun for my wife and I to get out plus our dogs got some good excercise. I think I'm starting to get addicted to this whole geocaching thing.

It helps with such good replies. THANK YOU!!