What impact have you made for Earthcaching?

Cav Scout

wow.... did not know it was pick on Cav Scout thread in here and be Snarky Day too boot! but I looked around in some earthcache sites you have set up Socorro and two of your latest also require a photo of The Person and the questions there are a bit involved. Ventura_kids if you look and read the requirements it explains what is needed and would make for a bit more enjoyable cache.

Barcalounger EC's are just too easy and everyone can do those... :( it seems like Earthcaches are to involve the cachers to get out and enjoy what Mother Nature has created. Both of you have just mentioned "one cache" also.. why not get out there and try more this Cachers EC's before placing the big Red Monogram on him.... giving up that easy says alot for one's character..... so why not make the challenge here to challenge yourselves with trying more of Cav Scouts EC's before placing and passing judgement and being just plain old bitter.

You snub your nose with coming to Kentucky so casual that you are blocking yourselves to having a wonderful adventure if you did come here.. you have placed it in your own mind to have a negative experience. Kentucky has alot to offer with nature and history too bad your "one" bad experience has you block to fun. It doesnt appear that Cav Scout allowa any negativity block his drive to make Earthcaching an enjoyable experience and to create more and more for friends and family to enjoy. Its sad to see that some out there let things get so petty to keep them from fun. So everyone just take a deep breath and let the bad out (shoooooooosh) and breath the good in... (innnnnhaaaaaallllle) and smile! lets have fun! :laughing::laughing:

Its good that both Ventura kids and Socorro bring this up ;) . The failure to post the correct pictures and being in the correct location for the EC makes a impact on me with keeping the standards high and preventing armchair finds, even though they may of been to the sites, its always the picture that gets the finders log deleted. I give everyone a chance to log the find correctly. The questions are simple and instructions are clear TAKE A PICTURE WITH YOU IN IT AT THE SITE AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS.

The one thing I will never do is require finders to draw pictures of the site and to scan and send me a copy or will I never have a written test to get credit for the find. Keep it simple.

There are many more who get upset about the rules but there are many who have actually contacted me and explained what was wrong when they did not have a picture and ended up posting a find after we worked things out.

Many geocachers who place ECs spend a lot of time and effort into doing this. There is nothing worse than seeing a log with TFTC and no picture, or will load a picture when I get home in 30 days :laughing::laughing::( . Just follow the rules, thats all I ask.

I keep the standards the same across the board for all. Its only the 1% who have trouble with reading the instructions. The other 99% have a good time.

I myself have had many of my EC finds deleted to because I did not follow instructions. I complained too, but eventually figured out that it was the owners EC and their rules. I have done some really difficult ECs across the USA, and this is why I keep my questions simple. If the EC is to tough or I dont understand it I will not do the EC. I have come across a few like that.

Just respect the EC owners logging rules and read the logging requirements before you attempt the EC :D .

Thats all you gotta do :D

I found only one of Cav Scouts earthcaches, and had a horrible experience with him.

I'll never find another cache hidden by him.

I don't have quite the awesome record you do, but I too had a terrible experience with one of his caches based on the photo requirement (mine wasn't clear enough?! what a rip off!). Very non-geological and vague questions anyway. Very sad. I was just trying to start out with Earthcaches too...luckily I tried some others.

At least experiences like those help you realize to be patient with newcomers. Every once in a while I get a wrong answer for my Magdalena Fault EC. I take the time to write to them telling them why that's the incorrect answer rather than just deleting their log.

It's a game, but at the same time, it's not about numbers...you know?

Edited by Cav Scout

Back on topic. There has been a surge in EarthCaches created by many geocachers around Kentucky and the Southern States and even more new ECs up North :laughing::laughing::( .

Anyone have new ECs in their area?

Chimney Rock EarthCache.

IMG_2780.jpg

I can't get enough of Earthcaches and enjoy bringing EarthCachers/geocachers to locations that are interesting, educational, and beautiful.

Edited by Cav Scout

but I looked around in some earthcache sites you have set up Socorro and two of your latest also require a photo of The Person and the questions there are a bit involved.

So...it's bad to actually make people think...? Instead asking "if the sand is really sand" or "what color is the lizard" (questions recently updated, at least)?!

Making caches just for the sake of saturating the area is...well...sucky. And deleting someone's log because they didn't claim a nearby cache (suspecting the cacher of not visiting the cache; yet the cacher fulfilled the cache requirements in total) is ridiculously unsportsmanlike...and completely frustrating to the cacher.

And, wishing_on_a_star, been to KY plenty of times for my own caving pleasure and for class. No need to fill out questions on the color of a rock or what insect likes to live there. No thanks.

Sorry folks...this REALLY bothers me about Earthcaching. Most of the "impacts" I have encountered are negative. EC needs to change.

Signed, GSA paying member...

There are many more who get upset about the rules but there are many who have actually contacted me and explained what was wrong when they did not have a picture and ended up posting a find after we worked things out.

After emailing you and explaining the situation, you, buddy, didn't let me repost my log. I tried three times, posting more and more photos of me and my family and the surroundings each time I submitted the log.

You get a unsmiley face 'cause that's just not cool.

Edited by Socorro
Its good that both Ventura kids and Socorro bring this up :laughing: . The failure to post the correct pictures and being in the correct location for the EC makes a impact on me with keeping the standards high

I've not done your earthcaches and only looked at one because of this topic. Since there is a correct picture and apparently lots of incorrect pictures, why not post an example picture of what you want to see or pretty close to it? This will make sure people are getting the right picture. There is nothing worse than getting home and realizing that you have the wrong pictures not because you didn't read the page but because you misunderstood and/or misinterpreted what the owner wants.

If it was 'take a picture at the bird blind' and there is one at the coordinates and not one for a half mile away, most people would understand and get the right picture. Sometimes you get 'take a picture with the diabase rock with the schist' and there are lots of them but only one is the 'correct picture'. Coordinates are only so good at times.

This is an attempt at being constructive in this forum/thread, not criticizing.

================

One sentance Summary of my Earthcaches to date, all of which are in Ontario Canada. Some of them photograph better then others.. it is a little hard to photograph a 150km wide crater for example..:

================

Minesing Swamp: The Canadian Version of the everglades, without the Alligators

Wasaga Sand Dunes: 7 Storey Tall sand dune at the worlds largest freshwater beach

Peterborough Drumlin Fields: An region containing hundreds of Glacial Drumlins

Sudbury Astrobleme: The worlds second largest impact crater (next to Vredefort, South Africa)

Trilobite Powered Lightbulbs - Black oil shale beach, packed full of trilobites.. Some of which are Golden (Pyrite-covered)

Scarborough Bluffs - Coastal White Sandstone cliffs, remenisant of Sussex England

Callander Volcanic Pipe - Dead Volcano Crater

Hog's Back Fault - A waterfall falling through a fault line

Gnot just a Gneiss Lighthouse! - Blood red coastal stone cliffs

Uhthoff Aggregate Quarry - Large Limestone Quary, requires onsite chemistry

Rock-Hill Corners Crevices and Caves - Caves, Cracks, Stone Pillars, Spires, Fissures and such.. all within a few hundred meters!

La Cloche Fjord - Worlds only inland Fjord

THE MARMORATON - Gigantic Pig-Iron open pit mine

================

Some Pictures:

================

82db2d26-5868-40a7-b91f-60e5f68dfcaa.jpg

3accc797-471d-4b4f-aaa8-5a8dcef68e06.jpg

5b68da94-583f-46c9-a05c-1f447c5ada59.jpg

3545373f-8d91-43c9-9549-6b8b4bede2b4.jpg

768f38d4-b42f-49a9-8939-e36c6ec506ae.jpg

42acb2a9-d2a7-4c5e-ba6d-fe9409430a94.jpg

e1c6662c-e308-4e41-a01e-ff6baaaf9922.jpg

c4e852c1-2f8e-43a7-a302-4a603a0be829.jpg

ba7ada7f-6d2b-411b-9be6-97172cab1cf0.jpg

Edited by Juicepig

1.McNabs Island Estuary by Dude-geologist (GC1H94C)

2.Purcell's Cove Quarry by Dude-geologist (GC18VWR)

3.Perched in Mount Uniacke by Dude-geologist (GC18P28)

4.Erratic behavior in Gander by Dude-geologist (GC17MV0)

5.Renfrew Gold by Dude-geologist (GC15QMC)

6.Halls Harbour Sea Cave by Dude-geologist (GC15G78)

7.Mount Uniacke Drumlin by Dude-geologist (GC14ZP7)

8.Coquina Reef by Dude-geologist (GC143A0)

9.Mistaken Point by ECT Hikers adopted by Dude-geologist (GC12YV3)

10.Chebucto Head Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC1223Q)

11.Cobequid Chedabucto Fault by Dude-geologist (GC11WHZ)

12.Eastern Passage Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC11QY3)

13.Blue Beach Fossil Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC11JP6)

14.Cape Blomidon Cliffs by Dude-geologist (GC11J4Z)

15.Salt Marsh Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC11B66)

16.St. Croix Karst Topo Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC119V8)

17.Halls Harbour Earthcache by Dude-geologist (GC119AT)

Those are great photos of your EC sites :laughing: .

================

One sentance Summary of my Earthcaches to date, all of which are in Ontario Canada. Some of them photograph better then others.. it is a little hard to photograph a 150km wide crater for example..:

================

Minesing Swamp: The Canadian Version of the everglades, without the Alligators

Wasaga Sand Dunes: 7 Storey Tall sand dune at the worlds largest freshwater beach

Peterborough Drumlin Fields: An region containing hundreds of Glacial Drumlins

Sudbury Astrobleme: The worlds second largest impact crater (next to Vredefort, South Africa)

Trilobite Powered Lightbulbs - Black oil shale beach, packed full of trilobites.. Some of which are Golden (Pyrite-covered)

Scarborough Bluffs - Coastal White Sandstone cliffs, remenisant of Sussex England

Callander Volcanic Pipe - Dead Volcano Crater

Hog's Back Fault - A waterfall falling through a fault line

Gnot just a Gneiss Lighthouse! - Blood red coastal stone cliffs

Uhthoff Aggregate Quarry - Large Limestone Quary, requires onsite chemistry

Rock-Hill Corners Crevices and Caves - Caves, Cracks, Stone Pillars, Spires, Fissures and such.. all within a few hundred meters!

La Cloche Fjord - Worlds only inland Fjord

THE MARMORATON - Gigantic Pig-Iron open pit mine

================

Some Pictures:

================

82db2d26-5868-40a7-b91f-60e5f68dfcaa.jpg

3accc797-471d-4b4f-aaa8-5a8dcef68e06.jpg

5b68da94-583f-46c9-a05c-1f447c5ada59.jpg

3545373f-8d91-43c9-9549-6b8b4bede2b4.jpg

768f38d4-b42f-49a9-8939-e36c6ec506ae.jpg

42acb2a9-d2a7-4c5e-ba6d-fe9409430a94.jpg

e1c6662c-e308-4e41-a01e-ff6baaaf9922.jpg

c4e852c1-2f8e-43a7-a302-4a603a0be829.jpg

ba7ada7f-6d2b-411b-9be6-97172cab1cf0.jpg

I have 9 earthcaches these are some of my favorite photos that others have posted in their logs.

4f1907e5-6c37-4a20-9fa3-5c1b36ec4152.jpg

GCZP4M - Vasquez Rocks Earthcache

6618fbcd-96d5-4bda-b778-cd4da021ce4a.jpg

GC10YWK - Virgin River Gorge Earthcache

9da3904c-d7ec-4c4e-8a89-4bd8a9d971c3.jpg

GC19NT7 - Tehachapi Loop Earthcache

ed987ac9-2cf3-4481-a495-1db7477c50f2.jpg

GC1B0NK - Old Ridge Route - Fault Features Earthcache

a7241eec-5619-473d-9ce4-b9c0b422ea79.jpg

GC1B0Z1 - Ivanpah Dry Lake Earthcache

I travel for business in the Middle East and Africa. Many of these countries have very few caches.

I try and place "acessible" caches for the tourist or business traveller in these countries as many of them are not frequently travelled to (Rwanda, Kenya, Oman etc.)

I still have a bunch of EC's in the wings.

Glad to have a few EC's across this area and hope to be placing more in countries I travel to. It allows caches in some remote areas - and also allows for new caches in countries where maintenance is a problem for traditionals as there are no local cachers.

Bringing this back on topic.....

We are hoping to make a trip to Kentucky next spring....that rock formation suggests we may need to consider bringing our paddling gear! We'd hoped to go this past spring but plans didn't come together for us. Looks like a case of good things come to those who wait.

We have found a mess of EarthCaches and learned a lot from the visits and the cache listings. We have placed six EarthCaches and those who visit seem to enjoy the discovery of the spots we've picked. In particular, many folks have visited Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa, and gained new appreciation for the fact that geology played a huge part in the shaping of the regional cultures. We enjoyed the EarthCache at Pipestone in Minnesota for the same reason. Hopefully our choice of locations and focus for the learning tasks have helped shed a little different light on geology as it influences anthropology and the local cultures. I also hope that folks who visit these caches get different ideas for their own placements.

Most of our EarthCaches don't get tons of visits, because we also tend to put them in places where you have to hike or work to get to ground zero. So hopefully, we've helped with folks' cardiovascular programs! :unsure:

I've been hosting EarthCaching Events in the State of Iowa over the last two years.

In this area, EarthCaches are not quite as mainstream as they might be. Especially considering the geological diversity of this area. So, I've been organizing Events. I've had pretty good turn out the last two years. It seems as though alot of people are intimidated by the entire process of getting an EarthCache approved.

It seems like my efforts have been positive. There are several more fantastic EarthCache is this part of the Country.

I've been hosting EarthCaching Events in the State of Iowa over the last two years.

In this area, EarthCaches are not quite as mainstream as they might be. Especially considering the geological diversity of this area. So, I've been organizing Events. I've had pretty good turn out the last two years. It seems as though alot of people are intimidated by the entire process of getting an EarthCache approved.

It seems like my efforts have been positive. There are several more fantastic EarthCache is this part of the Country.

Plus we sure like having you stop by all of our caches and providing your smiling photos and kind words in the logs...now how do I go about getting me one of those CachingMonkey Pathtags?

Hummm what have I done? I guess just by publishing and collaborating on over 30 ECs in Wisconsin (and one in Iowa) I have brought awareness to both ECs and the cool geology all around us but isn't that the point? Also I have donated all but 9 of those ECs to other folks so that they too could enjoy the fun of ECS.

Its good to see this kind of stuff happening with EarthCaching. We had our 2nd Annual EC event this year as well. Cumberland Gap Style http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28-1fc7376df33d

The 3rd Annual EC event location is undetermined right now but it will happen. Hopefully with the EC submitting form falling under Groundspeak, we can get more support and cool things donated for the event.

Edited by Cav Scout

In answer to the question posed by this topic, does ranting in the forums count?

While I have developed a few, assisted others with a few, adopted a couple, and enjoyed visiting some, looking at the pictures in this thread makes me realize how big of an impact earthcaching has (and should have) on me. People have done some amazing work. I need to quit my job, live off of my wife, and devote my time to seeing some of these places. If only my daughter was not expecting me to pay for her to go to college . . . But thank you for all those who have made an impact.

Edited by Erickson

Prior to me moving to Kentucky from Alaska, there was only 19 publised earthcaches in the entire state of Ky... There are now 159 active ECs and more coming in. I like to think my time on ECs is putting Kentucky on the geocaching map as the place to find Earthcaches. There are a large concentration of ECs in the cities of Lexington, Louisville, and the Red River Gorge geological area. Many are easy to drive to and there are quite a few that you must hike to.

I am currently working on a series of earthcaches that are only accessable by boat along the Kentucky River. This is known as the palisades region of Ky.

Here is a picture of my newest EC I submitted. Its called Chimney Rock.

IMG_2780.jpg

I can't get enough of Earthcaches and enjoy bringing earth cachers/geocachers to the locations I find that are interesting, educational, and beautiful.

That is exactly the reason I drove all the way to Kentucky, was for all the ec. Also to kinda get more of a feel while looking at listings to where I would have a broader spectrum of what to do. Now I'm almost ready to start filling in some of Ms and Al with more ec.

Plus we sure like having you stop by all of our caches and providing your smiling photos and kind words in the logs...now how do I go about getting me one of those CachingMonkey Pathtags?

Hummm what have I done? I guess just by publishing and collaborating on over 30 ECs in Wisconsin (and one in Iowa) I have brought awareness to both ECs and the cool geology all around us but isn't that the point? Also I have donated all but 9 of those ECs to other folks so that they too could enjoy the fun of ECS.

Hey Mr.Lostby7,

I'll hopefully be seeing you in Waukesha next month. You've already earned one of my Pathtags by developing those EC's near Horicon. Lostby7 is indeed the Godfather of EarthCaching in Wisconsin. Anyone out there who is lookng for some unforgetable EarthCaching experiences, visit Wisconsin.