What Gps do you use?

topherc1

I just need to know what Gps would be best for Geocaching and Hiking/biking/Backpacking/camping. I looked around on Shopzilla but I wasnt quite sure what exactly was the best one. I'm looking for a Topo map, with compass and possibly color screen although thats not a big deal to me. I also don't know what every Gps has and what is rare in a Gps. I'm a first time buyer and I need help. :D:D

Edited by topherc1

I just need to know what Gps would be best for Geocaching and Hiking/biking/Backpacking/camping. I looked around on Shopzilla but I wasnt quite sure what exactly was the best one. I'm looking for a Topo map, with compass and possibly color screen although thats not a big deal to me. I also don't know what every Gps has and what is rare in a Gps. I'm a first time buyer and I need help. :D:D

There is a myriad of opinions and no one all around best choice. I'm on a five year old GPS because I haven't found anything new out there that satisfies the need completely for the price of the units.

The upcoming Delorme PN-40 has features I really like but it lacks a bigger screen. Garmin has had a pretty good history until they came out with the Colorado and then it seems (due to the number of complaints) the accuracy has suffered. Magellan was doing good up until they dropped the Meridian series 4 years ago and have not recovered since then. You don't hear much about Lowrance, and I understand the Bushnell hasn't done all that well in accuracy. It's a lot to go through, but if you can go through this forum, you might find something you'll be happy with based on the reviews and opinions there.

There is a myriad of opinions and no one all around best choice. I'm on a five year old GPS because I haven't found anything new out there that satisfies the need completely for the price of the units.

The upcoming Delorme PN-40 has features I really like but it lacks a bigger screen. Garmin has had a pretty good history until they came out with the Colorado and then it seems (due to the number of complaints) the accuracy has suffered. Magellan was doing good up until they dropped the Meridian series 4 years ago and have not recovered since then. You don't hear much about Lowrance, and I understand the Bushnell hasn't done all that well in accuracy. It's a lot to go through, but if you can go through this forum, you might find something you'll be happy with based on the reviews and opinions there.

Lowrance makes a very good GPS, I've had my iFinder Hunt for a couple of years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. For one reason or another they just don't advertise as much as Garmin.

I just need to know what Gps would be best for Geocaching and Hiking/biking/Backpacking/camping. I looked around on Shopzilla but I wasnt quite sure what exactly was the best one. I'm looking for a Topo map, with compass and possibly color screen although thats not a big deal to me. I also don't know what every Gps has and what is rare in a Gps. I'm a first time buyer and I need help. B)B)

I've been through a few Garmin units and have played with some Magellan units. So far my GPS of choice is the Garmin 60CS. I've got mine loaded with Topo, street maps, and a few other map options. The 60 has been with me for 26,000 miles (according to the odometer) and it's still working well.

You can add maps to many GPS units, but not all. You'll want to do some research before buying to discover which ones do and don't. As for compass, all GPSRs have a compass, but I'd trust the handheld compass over any in a GPS.

The Garmin Colorado 400t comes pre-loaded with topo, it's color, and have a good sized screen. It also has a fairy large price tag.

As for compass, all GPSRs have a compass, but I'd trust the handheld compass over any in a GPS.

Sorry, this is total misinformation. Most GPS units have a compass rose which is completely different from a real electronic compass.

A rose doesn't float and relies on movement and satelllites to get it to point the correct bearing of direction. The speed of movement requiured is typically +2MPH for about 15-20 feet with a good satellite signal. Or if you have a good view of the sun and/or moon, line up the symbols on the rose to gain your true bearings.

An electronic compass requires no movement or satellites to point to North. and will require initial calibration to work properly.

Garmin has some units with 2D electronic compasses. That is; they must be held relatively flat to get a reading +/- 2 or 3 degrees depending on the model.

Magellan specializes in 3D electronic compasses. That is; they can be held near vertical and and still be within the 2 or 3 degrees of error.

Delorme is about to come out with a model with a 3D electronic compass.

Edited by TotemLake

As for compass, all GPSRs have a compass, but I'd trust the handheld compass over any in a GPS.

Sorry, this is total misinformation. Most GPS units have a compass rose which is completely different from a real electronic compass.

Terribly sorry for the mis-information, I did not realize the OP was requesting an electronic compass. The non-electronic compass is able to find North as a compass would, however straight-line movement is required to get it to adjust.

My two cents:

I used to carry a Garmin Etrex Vista, which was state of the art at the time, with on-screen maps, mag compass, baro altimeter, etc. I also carried, as a backup, a magnetic compass and printouts of the topo maps for the area in which I was navigating. I found myself consulting the paper maps more often than the screen maps; they're larger and easier to read, and there's no scrolling and zooming to see what's beyond the next ridge.

When the Vista gave up (used it so much that the rubber armor wore through in places), I reexamined my style of navigation and got a wrist-mounted Foretrex 201. Since I was carrying a compass and maps anyway, the fact that the Foretrex lacked these features was no hardship. The convenience of having your hands free and being able to consult the GPS as easily as checking your watch is wonderful.

I'm no Luddite; I like feature-laden gadgets as well or better than the next guy, but in this case I've decided that less is more. One other advantage of the Foretrex: I broke mine, and Garmin's flat-rate repair service replaced it for $69.

I've had numerous hand held GPS units. Garmin Legend and Vista, Geko 201, Lowrance iFinder H20, Magellan Meri Gold, Map 60CS and currently the Map 60CSX which is the best hand held GPS I've ever owned.

I won't hesitate to recommend the 60CSX, but right now for your stated uses, the Garmin Legend HCX and Vista HCX would probably be your best choices simply because of their compact size. They can do everything the 60CSX can do in a smaller package.

If you had added vehicle navigation to your list of planned uses, I would have said the 60CSX because of the slightly larger screen and buttons on the front of the unit, but since you are just going to use it for Geocaching/ Hiking/biking/Backpacking/camping go with the Legend HCX or Vista HCX (note the HCX in the model name, there are similarly named units in Garmin's line (Legend and Vista) that do not compare favorably to the HCX models.

The differences between the Legend HCX and Vista HCX are in the compass and altimeter. The Legend's compass uses sats to determine direction of travel so you need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for it to work. If you walk too slow or stop, it won't know direction. It also uses the sats to determine elevation, which is not the most accurate method. The Vista HCX has a magnetic compass and a barometric altimeter, so elevation will be more accurate and the compass will work if you are standing still.

Some people prefer the Legend HCX because it's cheaper and you don't have to calibrate the compass and altimeter periodically. Others like prefer the electronic compass and aren't bothered by the need to re-calibrate frequently.

for your stated uses, the Garmin Legend HCX and Vista HCX would probably be your best choices simply because of their compact size.

And they have a longer battery life than the 60CSx. While this is not relevant for daytrips, on longer hikes you will be happy not to carry around a heavy load of spare batteries.

I just got a Colorado a month or so ago. I have to agree on the accuracy part... It bounces around a lot if it doesn't have good coverage, whereas my old eTrex and eMap before didn't.

The one piece of advice I can give is make sure you get a receiver that has a helical antenna (which the eTrex doesn't, the 60CSx does). It used to drive me insane that I had to carry my GPS flat to make sure it held a signal lock. If I got tired and put it in a pocket, then took it out, I'd have to wait to reaquire, and my tracks and odometer would be messed up when I got back home. Now with the Colorado, I just clip it to my pack straps, take it off when I need, no worries. The helical antenna can see the satellites just fine in any direction.

And of course the Colorado has a super-simple interface for paperless geocaching. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again yet though, jury's still out.

I've been through three Garmin units ,and still own all three.

The one I use the most now is the GPSmap 60CSx You have to buy the maping software,but for the price,

this is the best unit on the market today. Free basemap upgrades are available.

Check The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx @ http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us;jsessi...2863FD346E0BE8A :unsure:

You can buy this unit at a good price at Wal-Mart.com

Edited by ChiefEagleBear

After our 8+ mile hike on Sat in the pouring down rain (for all 8+ miles) and a few days of 'drying out', it looks like we're in the market for a new GPS.

Huge quandry... but I'm seriously considering the 60CSx + City Nav + Topo for about $500-ish (cursory glance at the $$ amts).

I will, however, do a bit more lookin' into the Colorado simply due to the GPX loading factor. It sounds like it's more of a pain in the butt than it may be worth for me though.

Thoughts (other than "go read about it in the other forum")?

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

After our 8+ mile hike on Sat in the pouring down rain (for all 8+ miles) and a few days of 'drying out', it looks like we're in the market for a new GPS.

Huge quandry... but I'm seriously considering the 60CSx + City Nav + Topo for about $500-ish (cursory glance at the $$ amts).

I will, however, do a bit more lookin' into the Colorado simply due to the GPX loading factor. It sounds like it's more of a pain in the butt than it may be worth for me though.

michelle

Avoid the Colorado and go straight to the Oregon instead. It is a major improvement (if you don't take into account the dimmer backlight) over the Colorado.

I just need to know what Gps would be best for Geocaching and Hiking/biking/Backpacking/camping. I looked around on Shopzilla but I wasnt quite sure what exactly was the best one. I'm looking for a Topo map, with compass and possibly color screen although thats not a big deal to me. I also don't know what every Gps has and what is rare in a Gps. I'm a first time buyer and I need help. :laughing::D

I am relatively new to the game and the world of GPS myself. However, I use a Garmin GPSmap 60 and it seems to work well for me. I got it at a very good price and though it is an older model, it has proved to be pretty accurate. It does not have some of the "cooler" features such as color screen but for an entry unit I have been very content and many people still seem to feel that it is a decent model.

I may be mistaken but I believe the main difference between the map60 and map60cx is the color display. In most other respects they are very similar.

However, if I am wrong please correct me.

After our 8+ mile hike on Sat in the pouring down rain (for all 8+ miles) and a few days of 'drying out', it looks like we're in the market for a new GPS...

Your previous GPS was not waterproof?

Even mine lost integrity after the first year and required several days of drying out and a resoldering job to bring it back to running condition. It's lasted 4+ years since.

The one piece of advice I can give is make sure you get a receiver that has a helical antenna (which the eTrex doesn't, the 60CSx does). It used to drive me insane that I had to carry my GPS flat to make sure it held a signal lock.

That is so 2 years ago. The new eTrex H series units will get a lock regardless of the position. The lock is best when it's held flat, but when I'm looking at my GPS it's usually pretty flat.

The helix antennas work best when held vertically but when I'm looking at my unit I'm not holding it vertically.

Actually these days the differences between antennas are inconsequential.

Judging from everything I've read in the other forum, I wouldn't. Just stupid things like not being able to delete a geocache waypoint without loading a new file would drive me bananas.

It's hard to find a better unit than the 60CSX. If you want GPX capability from what I've read the Oregon is better than the Colorado, but I'm waiting for the South Carolina to come out.

I may be mistaken but I believe the main difference between the map60 and map60cx is the color display. In most other respects they are very similar.

You are corrected. The 60CX has expandable map memory and a high sensitivity receiver in addition to the color display. They are vastly different units. I have a a 60CS and the 60CSX and the difference between the two is like Biden and Obama.

Edited by briansnat
The one piece of advice I can give is make sure you get a receiver that has a helical antenna (which the eTrex doesn't, the 60CSx does). It used to drive me insane that I had to carry my GPS flat to make sure it held a signal lock.

That is so 2 years ago. The new eTrex H series units will get a lock regardless of the position. The lock is best when it's held flat, but when I'm looking at my GPS it's usually pretty flat.

The helix antennas work best when held vertically but when I'm looking at my unit I'm not holding it vertically.

Judging from everything I've read in the other forum, I wouldn't. Just stupid things like not being able to delete a geocache waypoint without loading a new file would drive me bananas.

It's hard to find a better unit than the 60CSX. If you want GPX capability from what I've read the Oregon is better than the Colorado, but I'm waiting for the South Carolina to come out.

You are corrected. The 60CX has expandable map memory and a high sensitivity receiver in addition to the color display. They are vastly different units. I have a a 60CS and the 60CSX and the difference between the two is like Biden and Obama.

Well thank you for that bit of information. So it is just the Map60CS that is very similar to the map 60 and the CX is the next step to that?

Your previous GPS was not waterproof?

Yes, it was.

I've had absolutely zero trouble until this past weekend. Then the screen started fogging up. And it started beeping sort of randomly and all-the-time at once.

Oh, and it had no idea where we were. (Thank God we did. :cry: )

Even mine lost integrity after the first year and required several days of drying out and a resoldering job to bring it back to running condition. It's lasted 4+ years since.

We'll be opening this baby up soon. Maybe this weekend since it looks like it's going to ...RAIN... all weekend.

michelle

We'll be opening this baby up soon. Maybe this weekend since it looks like it's going to ...RAIN... all weekend.

michelle

The high humidity will slow down the drying a bit which was the same problem I had when mine flooded in the Wenatchee River. I put it in front of a small fan for a couple of days to increae the evaporative process.

Edited by TotemLake

Count me in on being a Garmin convert. I dropped the SporTraks in favor of a 60CSx. Very happy.

I'm still getting used to the electronic compass. A lot of times I prefer to turn it off. It's trivial to turn it back on, too. Love that I can have the same autorouting maps as my Nuvi. I have a mount for my bikes (motor and pedal).

About the only complaint is how dark the screen is inside. Outside it's great. Inside I have to turn on the light. Also, it doesn't auto-average while sitting still like the older Magellans. The trade off is it doesn't have the sling-shot effect either!

It's a bit of a struggle going from the SporTrak, and how it worked best, to the Garmin. I still hit the wrong buttons out of habit and such. However, I wouldn't go back.

There's probably no "best" geocaching GPS, but there are a few that fit the bill very well. Plus, next year there will be another gee-whiz bang newfangled toy to play with. I'd go broke chasing the very latest of everything.

Anyway, for me it was a Garmin 60CSx GPS @ $299 from Walmart.

Count me in on being a Garmin convert. I dropped the SporTraks in favor of a 60CSx. Very happy.

I'm still getting used to the electronic compass. A lot of times I prefer to turn it off. It's trivial to turn it back on, too. Love that I can have the same autorouting maps as my Nuvi. I have a mount for my bikes (motor and pedal).

About the only complaint is how dark the screen is inside. Outside it's great. Inside I have to turn on the light. Also, it doesn't auto-average while sitting still like the older Magellans. The trade off is it doesn't have the sling-shot effect either!

It's a bit of a struggle going from the SporTrak, and how it worked best, to the Garmin. I still hit the wrong buttons out of habit and such. However, I wouldn't go back.

There's probably no "best" geocaching GPS, but there are a few that fit the bill very well. Plus, next year there will be another gee-whiz bang newfangled toy to play with. I'd go broke chasing the very latest of everything.

Anyway, for me it was a Garmin 60CSx GPS @ $299 from Walmart.

In another thread that got locked, you mentioned the following...

I love the elements of not having adequate batteries and losing your way. Signal bounce or the sling shot effect of the Magellans? BTW, the SporTrak series and most, if not all, older Magellans no longer receive the WAAS signal. I used to be a huge fan of Magellan and WAAS generally doesn't matter that much on the finding side, but Magellan has pretty much abandoned geocachers. I now own Garmin products.

I was wondering why my EPE seemed generally a little higher, but took that to being the age of the unit; which although correct by your post, incorrect by my assumptions. I looked and I indeed am not receiving anything from the WAAS satellites. I tried doing the search on the why... Can you fill this in a little bit? Was there a frequency change?

=-=-edited to add-=-=

And as soon as I posted this my search results located this by trainlove:

Feb 11 2008, 11:00 AM

There is an issue for at least some Magellan GPSr's where the WAAS satellite numbers are hardcoded in the firmware. Since the owners of PRN122 moved their satellite last summer and the Government decided to change over to a new PRN my Magellan does not know about that change. And even though my GPSr does receive the other WAAS satellite on the east coast (PRN120) it never says WAAS Averaging on the Position Screen.

Edited by TotemLake

Well, I must be the odd ball in the bunch. I use a Magellan eXplorist 500, and just love it. No problems with it and it's pretty accurate. I don't see the need for uploading any other maps, so that's not a concern. I use GSAK to load waypoints and it's easy as can be. I guess I'm in the minority here, but Magellan works for me.

Can you fill this in a little bit? Was there a frequency change?

=-=-edited to add-=-=

Yeah, I figured it out after the second or third time out I didn't get WAAS lock. It was picking up WAAS signal, but not locking. The reason was it was the satellite was no longer sending the signal. I also realized a couple of my caches had been listed with coordinates that didn't use the WAAS. Before no one ever complained about my coords. Then I started getting feedback about these new placements, or moved caches, being off.

Yes, trainlove has done a lot of research on this. I've looked into a bit as well. But considering Magellan no longer even supports SporTraks I figured it was time to move on. It's too bad, too, I really liked the auto-averaging feature. I could take readings repeatable to within .001 minutes. I haven't tried it with the 60, yet.

Can you fill this in a little bit? Was there a frequency change?

=-=-edited to add-=-=

Yeah, I figured it out after the second or third time out I didn't get WAAS lock. It was picking up WAAS signal, but not locking. The reason was it was the satellite was no longer sending the signal. I also realized a couple of my caches had been listed with coordinates that didn't use the WAAS. Before no one ever complained about my coords. Then I started getting feedback about these new placements, or moved caches, being off.

Yes, trainlove has done a lot of research on this. I've looked into a bit as well. But considering Magellan no longer even supports SporTraks I figured it was time to move on. It's too bad, too, I really liked the auto-averaging feature. I could take readings repeatable to within .001 minutes. I haven't tried it with the 60, yet.

Glad to see this get bumped up. After our discussion and a couple more months research, I settled down on the PN-40se. Pre-ordered it in October and received it shortly ater I broke my leg in November. I never once regretted the purchase.

I got lots of advice from people about their favorite GPSrs, but in the end it came down not to which one was better overall (as there are many good units out there) but what fit our particular needs best.

I went back and forth for weeks on which GPSr to buy, and just ordered a Garmin Colorado tonight. There were 3 or 4 units in a tight running, but in the end the deciding factor was kid-friendliness. The combination of the simple interface, paperless caching, and Wherigo player made it seem like the best choice for geocaching with my kindergartener.

Here's hoping it works out for us as well as expected!

--Susan

Currently I just use an old Garmin eTrex. It is very reliable (the same can't be said for the Garmin eTrex Legend, which my friend has). However, the two models I would recommend are: Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Though I have personally never used on, I have heard excellent reviews on them. The other is the Delorme pn-20, which my friend just bought to replace his legend. Again, I haven't personally used it, but it has gotten excellent reviews as well. They are both pretty close in price (150-180, depending on where you look). They have different features, but I think it would be worth looking into them. Good luck! ;)

I use my Garmin eTrex Legend I got it today but its hard to use. I heard the eTrex Vista ones are better. If i see one ill pick it up and sell my Legend. That way i can actually download the waypoints i think there called to my GPS.

I use my Garmin eTrex Legend I got it today but its hard to use. I heard the eTrex Vista ones are better. If i see one ill pick it up and sell my Legend. That way i can actually download the waypoints i think there called to my GPS.

I have the Oregon 400t and it is my first handheld and the first unit I cached with. This unit almost 100% of the time brings me right on the spot where the dl'ed coordinates are. I am new at all this but have been very happy with this unit for what it's worth.

Currently I just use an old Garmin eTrex. It is very reliable (the same can't be said for the Garmin eTrex Legend, which my friend has). However, the two models I would recommend are: Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Though I have personally never used on, I have heard excellent reviews on them. The other is the Delorme pn-20, which my friend just bought to replace his legend. Again, I haven't personally used it, but it has gotten excellent reviews as well. They are both pretty close in price (150-180, depending on where you look). They have different features, but I think it would be worth looking into them. Good luck! :ph34r:

I use the Garmin eTrex Legend Hcx and am quite happy with it. I have it mounted to my street MC and my off road bike also. I also use it for mountain biking, canoeing, geocaching, and in the car. True the screen is small and occasionally hard to see if the sun light is at the wrong angle but it has taken me many places without ever glitching (or whatever happens when these things don't work properly). I am sure there are more capable units out there but I am happy with it so far. Not bad for $200 Can.

I use my iPhone 3G

ygo2slow, I was hoping to use my iPhone 3G for geocaching, but when I put Lat/Long into Maps or Google Earth apps, they both move the target to the nearest street address, which is not exactly helpful.

Which iPhone app are you using with your iPhone, and does anyone know a way around the street address default for Maps or Google Earth apps?

Thanks in advance,

John

I bought the Garmin Colorado 400t the first month that it was available. It has been a solid unit for me. I've used it to navigate me on a 100 mile 4 day kayaking/geocaching trip down the huron River (okay...we only actually paddled 60 miles of it and jockeyed cars back and forth to get us around the boring bits).

I've used it on a simple 10 mile overnight camping trip. But most importantly I used it on a 92.7 mile 16 day backpacking trip to Isle Royale last year. I had it on the entire time we were hiking. I carried 8 AA batteries for it (2 in the unit and 6 spares). I also carried my Brunton Solaris solar panel to charge said batteries. It worked great for keeping my GPS and my camera batteries charged the entire trip. Besides hiking EXACTLY 92.7 miles I took over 1200 pictures. The Colorado 400t worked flawlesly and I always knew how much further it was to the next campsite by double checking our position with the preloaded TOPO maps.

It is a power hog, to be sure. When on that Isle Royale trip it would eat one pair of batteries almost every day (8 hours of continual use). My old Garmin GPSMAP76C was very economical on batteries and would last about 30 hours on 2 AAs.

I almost never use the digital compass on my Colorado 400t.

Although not exactly trouble free, it has been nearly so. The one major problem I did have with it required sending it back to Garmin for a replacement at no charge. And I have been happy ever after.

I personally prefer the Garmin Rino series. I have two rino 120s and a rino 130. They have two-way radios, great GPS reception, and can send and receive waypoints.

If you go out packing with a group and everyone is carrying a Garmin rino:

- You can stay in touch by radio

- You can look at your map on the screen and see exactly where everyone (with a rino) is in real time

This can be very handy if you decide to split into smaller groups, etc.

I just recently purchased a Dakota 20 and I could not be happier! After using the eTrex Legend for the past four years, it was definitely time for an upgrade. I thought about the Oregon, however, I simply did not have $500 to spend on a quality Oregon unit.

Plus, all of the horror stories about not being able to see the screen in direct sunlight was a major concern for me. With the Dakota however, the screen has its best visibility when it is in direct sunlight without the backlight on! Granted the screen size is a bit smaller on the Dakota, however, I have not had any difficulty reading the text or symbols on the screen. Also, having the three axis compass is definitely a perk!

Besides the Oregon, I also considered purchasing an iphone for geocaching. However, I could not justify spending $200 on the phone itself, plus an additional $30 for a monthly service charge on a phone that has sketchy GPS accuracy to begin with.

The Dakota 20 has allowed me to finally catch up to the rest of the world and go paperless. Although there are many diehard Oregon fans out there, I simply could not be more satisfied with my compact, efficient and yet very powerful Dakota 20. :lol:

I just recently purchased a Dakota 20 and I could not be happier! After using the eTrex Legend for the past four years, it was definitely time for an upgrade. I thought about the Oregon, however, I simply did not have $500 to spend on a quality Oregon unit.

Plus, all of the horror stories about not being able to see the screen in direct sunlight was a major concern for me. With the Dakota however, the screen has its best visibility when it is in direct sunlight without the backlight on! Granted the screen size is a bit smaller on the Dakota, however, I have not had any difficulty reading the text or symbols on the screen. Also, having the three axis compass is definitely a perk!

Besides the Oregon, I also considered purchasing an iphone for geocaching. However, I could not justify spending $200 on the phone itself, plus an additional $30 for a monthly service charge on a phone that has sketchy GPS accuracy to begin with.

The Dakota 20 has allowed me to finally catch up to the rest of the world and go paperless. Although there are many diehard Oregon fans out there, I simply could not be more satisfied with my compact, efficient and yet very powerful Dakota 20. :laughing:

FWIW, I think you made the best choice by going with the Dakota 20 over the iPhone or Oregon. I have the DK20, the iPhone 3G and briefly had the OR 450T. The OR wobbles annoyingly every time you set it on a table, it's heavy, the batteries rate at 16 hours (with minimal backlight use), the current firmware 3.30 breaks the unit making it unusable, and the backlight is better for night or shade viewing than sunlight. Also, the included TOPO map is 100K and doesn't include a decent library of landmark features. You'll find yourself adding at least another $100 to the cost, bringing the OR well over $600.

The Dakota, on the other hand, is currently $300 with Garmin's new $50 mail-in rebate, and you can get 24K US maps with a great pibrary of landmarks for $100. Total cost: $400 plus tax. It's compact, lightweight, 18+ hours battery life (I use NiMH), and the screen, though notoriously dim, is very readable in any kind of lighting, especially sunlight. Can't beat the added 3D compass and Geocaching features. I switch between profiles, using Automobile for turn-by-turn street navigation, then when I get to the trailhead I switch over to Recreational to begin navigating trails and logging tracks and waypoints.

For the moment, keep your DK20 at firmware version 2.70, as 2.80 and 2.90 have reported bugs which will break your device.

Well thank you for that bit of information. So it is just the Map60CS that is very similar to the map 60 and the CX is the next step to that?

The 60CSx also has a built-in compas and altimeter which the 60CS does not. I have the 60CSx and love it.