60CSx Verses Oregon 400T - 60CSx for now!

YBLee

I have about 15 months experience with my 60 CSx and many other GPS's including the PN-20 and the 400T Oregon for about 3 weeks. I have 549 caches for with 116 FTF's, so I have some experience with Geocaching and multiple GPS's. I love the Oregon's touchscreen interface and the the feature set in general but unfortunately, that's were it ends. On 6 attempts to locate caches the most recent this afternoon, the Oregon hasn't done the job, period, I had to return to the 60CSx to find the cache. Today, the 60CSx indicated I was within 4 feet of the cache and the Oregon had it 108' away. This was the end for the Oregon I'm sorry to say. Aside from the accuracy issues, (I do have 2.3 loaded) the display is a challenge in bright sunlight but I would have tried to deal with that. But the basic function of a GPS is reasonable accuracy and I do not feel comfortable with the Oregon's accuracy at this point and that it can be improved via updates. For now, the 60CSx is my GPS of choice and the Oregon will be returned.

I had a similar experience today. I needed to find diversion points on a creek where water was being directed to an irrigation area. I used a 60CSX and a Colorado. I was careful to keep them seperated as to not diminish the signal of either unit. The 60CSX was DEAD ON and had me zero in on the points previously recorded by a sub-meter Trimble. The Colorado was at least 50 feet off at best. Once again, I was dissapointed by the Colorado.

I had a similar experience today. I needed to find diversion points on a creek where water was being directed to an irrigation area. I used a 60CSX and a Colorado. I was careful to keep them seperated as to not diminish the signal of either unit. The 60CSX was DEAD ON and had me zero in on the points previously recorded by a sub-meter Trimble. The Colorado was at least 50 feet off at best. Once again, I was dissapointed by the Colorado.

I wish the other guy could have used a Colorado too for his caches and not just the Oregon. I've done several recent caches with my Colorado but didn't have any other GPSr with me to compare. I can't say that the Colorado was dead on as its location marker was always moving around (drifting maybe?) but I don't think I ended up with more then a 15 foot radius error for any of them. Unfortunately I need to do some new caches where I really look at this more closely. Once I was on the cache I never once looked to see where the waypoint was relative to the cache. :D

The Colorado and Oregon are definitely the future but I still feel both have a ways to go to equal their brother the 60CSx. My opinion from experience with both. I think the Oregon will be a great GPS some day!

Edited by YBLee

I have about 15 months experience with my 60 CSx and many other GPS's including the PN-20 and the 400T Oregon for about 3 weeks. I have 549 caches for with 116 FTF's, so I have some experience with Geocaching and multiple GPS's. I love the Oregon's touchscreen interface and the the feature set in general but unfortunately, that's were it ends. On 6 attempts to locate caches the most recent this afternoon, the Oregon hasn't done the job, period, I had to return to the 60CSx to find the cache. Today, the 60CSx indicated I was within 4 feet of the cache and the Oregon had it 108' away. This was the end for the Oregon I'm sorry to say. Aside from the accuracy issues, (I do have 2.3 loaded) the display is a challenge in bright sunlight but I would have tried to deal with that. But the basic function of a GPS is reasonable accuracy and I do not feel comfortable with the Oregon's accuracy at this point and that it can be improved via updates. For now, the 60CSx is my GPS of choice and the Oregon will be returned.

I wonder if you had a dud OR. Mine doesn't seem to have any accuracy issues. I turned it off Friday at work, about 15 miles away. I just turned it on. Sitting at my kitchen table on the first floor of a two-story house it took about 30 seconds to tell me that 'home' (my kid's playset in the side yard) was 24 feet away. It's off by about six feet but it is still acquiring sats.

Wesbo, anything is possible I guess, but it isn't the first time I had an issue and resorted to the 60CSx. Believe me, I wanted it to be the replacement because of all the added features especiall the benefit of "paperless caching" but it just didn't work out at this point in time. I've been using Garmin GPS's for a long time and have purchased 6 + the Colorado and Oregon - both were returned after three to four weeks. I have both feet firmly planted in the Garmin court but believe these two instruments and still under construction and will be great devices - some day!