Newbie Help

Fe02

Okay... My family is new at this. Here's the question:

When the clue says to add a date (a year like 1803) to a Latitude (like N12.34.56) to come up with a new latitude, how do I do this??

I've tried the following ways:

1. Remove all decimals, add the numbers, place the decimals back in. Results did not make sense.

2. Converted Latitude from deg.min.sec. to decimal (online converter), added the year to the number, and converted back. Results did not make sense.

3. Added the year to the seconds, divided the total seconds by 60, added to minutes and left the remainder in seconds. Results did not make sense.

HELP please !!!!!

Thanks,

Fe02 & Family

When the clue says to add a date (a year like 1803) to a Latitude (like N12.34.56) to come up with a new latitude, how do I do this??

1. Remove all decimals, add the numbers, place the decimals back in. Results did not make sense.

2. Converted Latitude from deg.min.sec. to decimal (online converter), added the year to the number, and converted back. Results did not make sense.

3. Added the year to the seconds, divided the total seconds by 60, added to minutes and left the remainder in seconds. Results did not make sense.

HELP please !!!!!

Thanks,

Fe02 & Family

N12.34.56 + 1803 = N12.52.59

HELP please !!!!!

Thanks,

Fe02 & Family

Are you sure is N 12 34.56 ? To me you are missing one number. Like it should be N 12 34.56_ Maybe then add the year and see if that makes some sense.

To add a year normally I would take the cord like N 12 34.567 and add 1988 I would come up with N12 36.555.

It just looks to me like your missing the last number in the cord.

Hope that make some sense.

Hi, let us have the cache number so we can see what the clue is. Usually the missing parts of the coordinates (lat and long) have letters which you substitute with numbers worked out from the clues. For example: Take that year and use it to find the missing numbers of the cache coordinates as follows: Cache Coordinates: 51º 35.a9b North 2º 44.x2y West where a = the third and fourth digits added together, b = the second digit - 2, x = the third digit minus the first digit and y = x..

Coords are always in the format of North (or South) DDº MM.MMM and West (or East) DDº MM.MMM

Hope this helps!

Chris (MrB)

Hi, let us have the cache number so we can see what the clue is. Usually the missing parts of the coordinates (lat and long) have letters which you substitute with numbers worked out from the clues. For example: Take that year and use it to find the missing numbers of the cache coordinates as follows: Cache Coordinates: 51º 35.a9b North 2º 44.x2y West where a = the third and fourth digits added together, b = the second digit - 2, x = the third digit minus the first digit and y = x..

Coords are always in the format of North (or South) DDº MM.MMM and West (or East) DDº MM.MMM

Hope this helps!

Chris (MrB)

Mr. B,

The cache is "Smithville -South Cemetery cache by MountainMoe, Lil' Princess & Lil' Angel (GCKW48)

New Hampshire.

This is what I have so far:

Birth year for Lucy: 1805

Birth year for George: 1803

Add Lucy's birth year to N42.42.421, I get N42.43.226

Add George's birth year to W071.50.922, I get W071.52.725

The longitude doesn't seem right. I plug it into this website: http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html, and it doesn't like the seconds. So, I made the Latitude N42.43.22.6, is this correct??

The longitude is greater than 60 seconds... ????

Thanks for your help....

Fe02 and family

OK I see your problem! Can I suggest you edit your post to remove the two date years as these are clues to the cache and it isn't correct etiquette to post answers to clues on the forums. I've made a note of them. I'm afraid its not clear to me either! You must end up with the format correct of DDº MM.MMM you can't have any more digits. When you get the next set of coords for Heather they won't take you very far and then for the final again it won't be that far away probably less than a mile. If anyone else wants to help please do, I'm stumped.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

The cache is "Smithville -South Cemetery cache by MountainMoe, Lil' Princess & Lil' Angel (GCKW48)

New Hampshire.

Please refrain from posting puzzle answers on the forums in the future.

I've done that cache and do not remember having any troubles. You can walk to the final from either of the 2 spots (3 stones) in that cemetary. I've even gone back with another cacher and his son while traveling to an all day excursion to a terrain high puzzle.

Very nice cache.

I do think it was decimal minutes like ALL coordinates for us geocachers, not degrees, minutes and seconds.

Oh and yes you add the whole 4 digit years, but what you add to is not the coords of any of the grave stones it's to some other coords on the cache page. Print it out, or bring good notes, or bring a Palm or Pocket PC with all the necessary cache information.

Edited by trainlove