COINTEST! COINTEST! Cointest ended.

acadiahiker

Mount Desert Island is a great place for surfers!!!

I think that in 2006, (26/5/2006?) the world champion of surfing was in !Mount Desert Island! Am I correct?? :D

:) Don't think so! I did see a surfer once off Sand Beach a few years ago! Where ever did you find that tidbit? :)

Well, I was just surfing the web and found an MDI World Surf Tour video on Youtube, no surfing but some a neat video of MDI.

There is not a Walmart, box store or major grocery store on the whole island. You have to travel for these luxuries.

Also, no McDonalds, BurgerKings, KFCs, etc. Sometimes in Winter, we get a real hankering for a Whopper and now with the price of gas, the 20 mile trip to a BK makes ordering off the dollar menu rather expensive :).

For the past few years in July, the Maine Basketmakers Alliance has held a Native American Festival on the grounds of the College of the Atlantic. There are Native made baskets and goods for sale, demonstrations of native crafts, a silent auction and of course Native music with drumming and dancing.

:)

Mmm..the coast of Maine

One of the best things about the Atlantic coast is being able to find juicy tidbits to bring to your dinner table. One of my favorite are the blue mussels which carpet the rocks around Mt Desert Isle. Some interesting facts about these mussels:

One pound of mussels, in the shell, yields three and one-half ounces of raw mussel meat or l00 grams that is the equivalent of 95 calories, 14 g. of protein, 2.1 g. of fat, .5 g saturated fat, 55 mg. cholesterol, and sodium 284 mg.

- They filter water (up to 20 gallons a day!)

- Easy to feed, Mussels can find 20 million edible tidbits to graze on in just a liter of seawater.

- They can walk. Mussels have an appendage called a foot, that enables them crawl.

Blue mussells spawn in the summer and lose a lot of the stuff you can eat, so pick them in winter and spring.

Try sauteeing them in garlic and butter and white wine....

Wild Coin Cacher

There was a brief period when it seemed Mount Desert would again become a center of French activity. In 1688, Antoine Laumet, an ambitious young man who had immigrated to New France and bestowed upon himself the title Sieur de la Mothe Cadillac, asked for and received 100,000 acres (400 km²) of land along the Maine coast, including all of Mount Desert. Cadillac's hopes of establishing a feudal estate in the New World, however, were short lived. Although he and his bride resided here for a time, they soon abandoned their enterprise. Cadillac later gained lasting recognition as the founder of Detroit. The island's highest point, at 466 meters (1530') the highest point on the eastern seaboard of the United States, bears the name Cadillac Mountain, and is notable for the fact that its summit is the first point in the United States touched by the rays of the rising sun.

To add some useless facts...

In 1820 Mount Desert Island had a population of 1121 inhabitants.

In 1821 Mount Desert Island had a population of 1221 inhabitants.

In 1836 Mount Desert Island had a population of 1603 inhabitants.

In 1840 Mount Desert Island had a population of 1887 inhabitants.

In 2008 Mount Desert Island has a population of 10.000 inhabitants.

John D. Rockefeller Jr. gifted the park with much of its land area. Like many rusticators, Rockefeller, whose family fortune was derived from the petroleum industry, wanted to keep the island free of automobiles; but local governments allowed the entry of automobiles on the island's roads. Rockefeller constructed approximately 80 kilometers (50 miles) of carriage roads around the eastern half of the island. These roads were closed to automobiles and included many scenic vistas and beautiful stone bridges. Hand made according to pastor John see I can read) Approximately 65 kilometers (40 miles) of these roads are within Acadia National Park and open only to hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, horse-drawn carriages and cross country skiers.

U.S. Naval Radio Station Otter Cliffs was a United States Navy radio receiver facility located on Mount Desert Island in Bar Harbor, Maine.

The station was commissioned on August 28, 1917, under the command of Lt. Alessandro Fabbri, who had personally cleared the land, built and equipped the station, and offered it to the government in exchange for a commission in the Naval Reserve and assignment as Officer-in-Charge.

Otter Cliffs was the Navy's best transatlantic radio receiver site because of its absence of nearby man-made radio noise, its unobstructed ocean path from Europe, and the outstanding receivers, antennas and noise mitigation techniques developed by the Wireless Specialty Apparatus Company under the leadership of Greenleaf Whittier Pickard.

By the end of the war, over 100 Navy enlisted men and 25 Marines were assigned to the station. By 1933, however, its buildings had become dilapidated and Navy funds were not forthcoming for repairs. When John D. Rockefeller, Jr. suggested that it be removed, the Navy agreed to include the station in his donation to Acadia National Park, provided that he would build an equally good receiving station nearby. He did so at the Schoodic Peninsula's tip, about five miles away across Frenchman Bay, and Feb. 28, 1935 Otter Cliffs was decommissioned and the new Winter Harbor station was commissioned. (It later became Naval Security Group Activity, Winter Harbor, and on July 1, 2002, was decommissioned and transferred to the National Park Service.)

In the village of Town Hill you can find the Estate Brewery of the Atlantic Brewing Company, where you can take a free tour of the brewhouse and taste some award winning ales.

My first post on a Groundspeak forum and first attempt on a geocoin contest, will it mean beginners luck? B)

greetings from the Netherlands!

In the village of Town Hill you can find the Estate Brewery of the Atlantic Brewing Company, where you can take a free tour of the brewhouse and taste some award winning ales.

My first post on a Groundspeak forum and first attempt on a geocoin contest, will it mean beginners luck? B)

greetings from the Netherlands!

Welcome - and Good Luck!

Another intesting piece of informaion about Mount Desert - many summer employers can not find enough labor force among locals so they often employ young students from other countries. The work force on the island is a melting pot of people from all over the World. There was a recent fire in Northeast Harbor where labors lost everything in their apartments, including thier passports. Red Cross, Social Security and other officials worked feverishly to assist them.

I just got home from traveling all the way across the continent and seeing so many spectacular places, but it remains a fact, that I believe Mount Desert Island is just about the most phenomenally beautiful place on this planet. B)

c2bbf884-6d5b-440e-b581-8a3ef55f9c9e.jpg

Bar Harbor Brewing makes about the best beer I've ever had too. It's a family business, they used to give tours in a cabin next to their house at the border with Otter Creek, but now they've got a place right downtown in Bar Harbor, it looks like they're expanding! That Cadillac Mtn Stout, mmmmm...

Abenaki Native Americans called the island Pemetic, meaning "sloping land." Here they fished, hunted and gathered berries. In 1604, French explorer Samuel de Champlain is believed to have run aground at Otter Point, where he met members of the tribe. He would name the island Isles des Monts Deserts, meaning "island of barren mountains" -- now called Mount Desert Island, the largest in Maine.

Mount Desert Island is a great place for surfers!!!

I think that in 2006, (26/5/2006?) the world champion of surfing was in !Mount Desert Island! Am I correct?? B)

:D Don't think so! I did see a surfer once off Sand Beach a few years ago! Where ever did you find that tidbit? B)

Well, I was just surfing the web and found an MDI World Surf Tour video on Youtube, no surfing but some a neat video of MDI.

Hmm...There was a site saying that, World surf tour and thedate, and that it was in your island, but I can not find it now!!! Oh! I was probably mistaken! Sorry! Well...I found that there was a surfer in your island once !!! B)B)B)

First settled in 1763 by Israel Higgins and John Thomas, the community was incorporated in 1796 as Eden, after Sir Richard Eden, an English statesman. Early industries included fishing, lumbering and shipbuilding. With the best soil on Mount Desert Island, it also developed agriculture. In the 1840s, its rugged maritime scenery attracted the Hudson River School and Luminism artists Thomas Cole, Frederick Church, William Hart and Fitz Hugh Lane. Inspired by their paintings, journalists, sportsmen and "rusticators" followed. Agamont House, the first hotel in Eden, was established in 1855 by Tobias Roberts. Birch Point, the first summer estate, was built in 1868 by Alpheus Hardy.

By 1880, there were 30 hotels, with tourists arriving by train and ferry to the Gilded Age resort that would rival Newport, Rhode Island. The rich and famous tried to outdo each other with entertaining and estates, often hiring Beatrix Farrand to design landscaping. A glimpse of their lifestyles was available from the Shore Path, a walkway skirting waterfront lawns. Yachting, garden parties at the Pot & Kettle Club, and carriage rides up Cadillac Mountain were popular diversions. Others enjoyed horse-racing at Robin Hood Park-Morrell Park. President William Howard Taft played golf in 1910 at the Kebo Valley Golf Club. On March 3, 1918, Eden was changed to Bar Harbor, after Bar Island which protects the harbor. The name would become synonymous with elite wealth. It was the birthplace of vice-president Nelson Rockefeller.

Mount Desert Island Hospital was National Rural Health Association's 2007 Outstanding Rural Health Organization.

Congratulations XBOXCRAZY33! Send me your address through my profile and I'll mail your coin out tomorrow.

Thanks to all who participated and I really enjoyed the pictures! After trying many times, I still haven't mastered the art of posting photos to this forum. B)

Mount Desert Island Hospital was National Rural Health Association's 2007 Outstanding Rural Health Organization.

Congratulations XBOXCRAZY33! Send me your address through my profile and I'll mail your coin out tomorrow.

Thanks to all who participated and I really enjoyed the pictures! After trying many times, I still haven't mastered the art of posting photos to this forum. B)

Woohoo! I can't believe I won!

Thanks so much for the awesome cointest acadiahiker! I didn't know about Mount Desert Island before this, but now I really want to take a trip there! Thanks again!

Woohoo! I can't believe I won!

Thanks so much for the awesome cointest acadiahiker! I didn't know about Mount Desert Island before this, but now I really want to take a trip there! Thanks again!

Come when you can and don't hesitate to contact Maine cachers to help you plan your trip. Congrats on your win!