COINTEST! COINTEST! Cointest ended.

acadiahiker

I've been lucky to have won a couple of cointests recently, so now it's my turn. :)

I live on Mount Desert Island, L'Isle des Monts Deserts, so named by Samuel de Champlain in 1604. The Island is rich in history and natural splendor, and is home to Acadia National Park.

The Rules:

1 fact per post.

1 post every 30 minutes.

Cointest over 6pm Eastern time on Monday.

Winner by random draw.

The prize: Swedish Moose Geocoin Ant.Silver/Ant.Gold.

Good Luck!

Mount Desert Island, in Hancock County, Maine, is the largest island off the coast of Maine. With an area of 108 square miles (280 km²) it is the 50th largest island in the United States.. Though it is often claimed to be the third largest island on the eastern seaboard of the United States, it is actually second behind only Long Island (and ahead of Martha's Vineyard).

Thanks for the cointest... TFTC!! :D

Mount Desert Island is the second largest island on the eastern seaboard of the United States. Thanks for the cointest acadiahiker!

Me thinks Martha's Vineyard, off Mass. comes in second with 108 square miles, 3 square miles more than MDI.

Whoops. That's what I get for using Wikipedia. :D

Ok how about this: During certain times of the year, Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park it is the first place in the U.S. to see sunrise.

Edited by xboxcrazy33

Beginning in 1844, the island was popularized by Thomas Cole and the "Hudson River School" of painters who flocked to the area to capture its beauty on canvas. As a result of this exposure, the island was adopted as a summer residence by socially prominent and wealthy eastern families such as the Rockefellers, Morgans, Fords, Vanderbilts, Carnegies, and Astors.

Mount Desert Island is the second largest island on the eastern seaboard of the United States. Thanks for the cointest acadiahiker!

Me thinks Martha's Vineyard, off Mass. comes in second with 108 square miles, 3 square miles more than MDI.

Whoops. That's what I get for using Wikipedia. :D

Ok how about this: During certain times of the year, Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park it is the first place in the U.S. to see sunrise.

Hey xboxcrazy33-You were right!! MDI is now listed as #2. My old reference books differ. See, This is a learning experience!

Acadia, as the name suggests, was French before it was English and then American. French frigates hid from English men of war in Frenchman Bay, screened from detection by the Porcupine Islands. The French and English battled for possession of North America from 1613 until 1760. French explorer Samuel Champlain sailed into the Bay in 1604 and named this Mount Desert Island because of its landmark bare top.

Pretty cool stuff I think!

Preservation of a large portion of the island as a national park is due in large part to the efforts of one of these residents, wealthy Bostonian George B. Dorr, who from 1901 and for most of his life devoted considerable energy and much of his family fortune to the establishment of the park and acquisition of lands for it. He also served as the park's first superintendent.

Hey xboxcrazy33-You were right!! MDI is now listed as #2. My old reference books differ. See, This is a learning experience!

Indeed it is! After researching Mount Desert Island, I really want to make it there and go through Acadia National Park; looks absolutely beautiful!

Another fact: Mount Desert Island has a permanent population of about 10,000.

Edited by xboxcrazy33

Thunder Hole is a small inlet, naturally carved out of the rocks, where the waves roll into. At the end of this inlet, down low, is a small cavern where, when the rush of the wave arrives, air and water is forced out like a clap of distant thunder. Water may spout as high as 40 feet with a thunderous roar!