Are Earthcaches Becoming More Popular?

BiT

I've notice that within the past two 6 weeks a lot of cachers have came though my area and only focused on my earthcaches.

On some of my earthcaches, they have to drive right by some of my other regular caches and one of my earthcaches is just 38' feet from my 1/1 caches.

Is the popularity of earthcaches on the rise? I hope so.

Edited by BiT

It's a good question. I've set up a few earth caches and anticipated that "yes" earthcaches are becoming more popular. I figured people would be really interested in checking them out, but they haven't received as much attention as expected.

Cap Sauer Esker

Lemont's Limestone Fen

Still with the flood of SO many dang micros, particularly in parking lots or in parks that don't show me anything (personal opinion), I thought that maybe setting up something different like earth caches would offer an alternative to the above-mentioned caches. I figure an earthcache is essentially a virtual cache; they're pretty easy finds, but maybe the actual learning requirement turns away some people.

I'm not putting down anyone in my area or anyone who doesn't seek the cache. Again, I just thought there'd be more people coming around.

When I recently drove back to Chicago area from Minneapolis, for the most part I only hit virtuals and earthcaches. Even now I regret not going to seek a few other EC's that were a little more off my route than I expected, but oh well.

I've notice that within the past two 6 weeks a lot of cachers have came though my area and only focused on my earthcaches.

On some of my earthcaches, they have to drive right by some of my other regular caches and one of my earthcaches is just 38' feet from my 1/1 caches.

Is the popularity of earthcaches on the rise? I hope so.

I would have to say YES. Although I only have 3 EC’s the responses are always very favorable.

As for your [biT] ECs, I will have to say that in Ohio there are a handful, perhaps 6 or so, cachers who have done excellent work in the area of ECs. My dad lives in Delaware County so I’m back and forth quite a bit from Pittsburgh and usually make it a point to hit an EC while I’m out that way.

I think one measure of success is the “tie-in” w/ the park systems, particularly the Ohio Historical Society. It would be nice to see more ECs here in western Pennsylvania.

BTW… I really enjoy the SMSI Series.

The BIG downside to the National Park ECs is that they usually cost money to get into :(

I am finding that the earthcaches in US National Parks very popular, especially Yellowstone and Zion. The comments say that cachers are happy to have something to go after while in the park.

Edited by Cav Scout

It seems like there was an explosion of new ECs but then the development of new ones tapered off a bit (at least locally). I’d say, yes they are still quite popular with some folks. We have several teams in WI that plan caching trips around doing ECs. Some of these teams even plan multi state trips in order to do ECs. But then there are those who will avoid these caches as they don’t like that the words on the pages don’t match their system of beliefs.

Edited by Lostby7

In South Africa, Earthcaches have definitely taken off.

Initially there were very few, and not many people bother to do them.

I have been placing a few around some high cacher density areas, and I have seen a large uptake in cachers logging the caches in the past few months.

A number have even bought layman's geology books and quote them in the answers! Also - they have spawned a bunch of new earthcaches around the country.

So yes - Earthcaching has been initiated and has taken off in South Africa

Sorry but I am just now discovering the EC forum.

Around here, micros are on the rise. As you folks know, it takes very litle effort for a lamp post cache but an EC, that's tough both in finding and placing! I have dedicated myself, by being inspired by folks like Cav Scout, to put ECs at the top. I have a goal this year to place 35 and find 100. Help me! :D

Sorry but I am just now discovering the EC forum.

Around here, micros are on the rise. As you folks know, it takes very litle effort for a lamp post cache but an EC, that's tough both in finding and placing! I have dedicated myself, by being inspired by folks like Cav Scout, to put ECs at the top. I have a goal this year to place 35 and find 100. Help me! :rolleyes:

You can also check out the GSA Field Guides for ones that haven't been set up yet.