REI Sale - What Does it mean for Colorado Series?

The REI Sale is 25% off on Garmin units, while there are greater discounts elsewhere in the store. Plus you get an asterisk on your receipt that states the sale doesn't count towards your dividend.

The sale price makes it (w/o sales tax of 8/25% in Taxafornia) competitive with the lowest Internet retailers I've found using Nextag, etc.

Walmart on-online has put the Colorado 400's in their clearance bin ... as seen here a Colorado 400T can now be had for $400.

When REI and Walmart lose faith in your product line, it's obviously not good. To save face, it may be time for Garmin to announce a trade-up program to the Oregon ... AFTER they get their act together on the Oregon.

My CO has been in the Montreal Warranty Repair Depot now for 32 days. They need to replace the unit and have no idea when they are getting units to do the replacement.

My guess is Garmin is abandoning the CO.

It does seem like the end with this line and I'm pretty pissed with the short product lifespan. Why don't they just add it to the discontinued list put it out of it's misery already than to continue with the "will it or will it not be supported" game being played with all owners.

It begs the question, why was the Colorado even released with the Oregon coming out soon after? Somebody in marketing made a pretty f***ed up decision here. Magellan is already on my s***list, I don't want to add Garmin too. My next handheld will be a Lowrence or DeLorme if Garmin doesn't start getting it's s*** together real quick.

Edited by ryguyMN

Per my other post. I've sent off a complaint email to the executive staff at Garmin. I'm packing up the 400T now and heading to REI to return it. I'll stop by Walmart and see if they are discounting the unit in store. If so, I'll try a 2nd unit and see if the physical connection is any better.

Suggest you email the execs regarding your 32 day warranty repair!

I was in the REI store on Friday night talking with someone at the GPS counter and decided to get an Oregon (despite not being on sale). I was going to be doing an extensive full day geocaching run on Saturday and wanted to try the OR for comparison as I've grown weary of using the scroll wheel for entering multi-cache coordinates and comments.

The counter person was saying that the CO was never a popular seller and that is why it went on such a steep sale, but the OR is selling reasonably well. It's unfortunate because I had the CO for a nice price (really it was a mistake on the part of their cashier) and was hoping to recoup most of the difference in price on buying the OR at full price by selling my CO for a decent second hand price that was competitive with what I paid, but now it looks like my second hand CO won't be worth much.

I also talked with the REI person about dealing with the fact that I already spent money to load the Street maps on the CO. She said that if I returned the unit to them then they could get on the phone with Garmin to get them to release a new unlock code as if I had returned it to Garmin for a replacement, but I'm skeptical if that will work.

I agree with the previous poster that this doesn't necessarily mean that the CO will be deleted from their inventories - it may just mean a lower street price on the unit for some time. After all, its screen is still a little bit more readable than the OR and if they fix its accuracy problems then it may have a continued life as I think its control interface is probably a little more suited for some rugged environments compared to the touchscreen on the OR. One problem I have with the OR is that the touchscreen, while fast for most things, is still just touchy enough that you have to be careful where you click and that takes quite a bit more attention to use it. If you are hiking over rough terrain, then you can easily use the CO (slowly, one handed) while you walk, but the OR takes so much of your attention to make sure you hit each button exactly. You can still use the OR one-handed, but it takes a little more attention. Standing still, and especially with two hands, using the OR is much faster than using the CO, but walking the OR is clumsy. Also, using the wheel to change map zooms was one thing I find much easier on the CO and something I did constantly while walking - the zoom buttons on the OR are a compromise between screen real estate and usability and take longer to change the zoom by a large factor compared to flipping the wheel on the CO.

I'd love to see an OR tradeup for CO owners, but I don't think it is expected. If the two had been released together on day one and had similar reliability of accuracy I could see them appealing to different customers, though the OR would be much more popular for many of the same reasons that most of us are wishing we'd known about the OR when we bought our CO's. I'm not 100% convinced that the CO doesn't have its own market to continue to cater to.

REI will take back the Colorado no questions asked.....

I wasn't sure if you were speaking to my post or not. I have no doubts about REI's return policy - it's one of the best in the business.

My problem is that I bought and loaded the City Navigator maps on my CO and the maps are tied to the device. Garmin doesn't allow transfers of maps to other units, but they will send you a new unlock code with a replacement device if you have to get it replaced. The question is - if I return to REI under their liberal return policy, do they have any pull with Garmin to get them to also send me another unlock code for maps on the returned unit? Time will tell when I go in to return the CO...

Great, I bought a Colorado 300 for $499 the day it was released and before they even got the dadgum thing working properly they discount it. One of the perks of being an early adopter is getting to use the product before everyone else. Sure the price will go down but you pay right off the bat for the ability to use it before those who wait until it's discounted.

To be honest, I haven't really used the Colorado for much more than a paperweight since I got it. I've been waiting for Garmin to fix the piece of S***. After 5 units and a bunch of $$ on return shipping they still haven't sent me a fully functioning, reliable unit. Now it's been discounted and looks to be dying as a product line. How pissed am I?

Goodbuy Garmin, Hello Delorme.

I think we are going to see the CO fade away, it's gotten way way too much negative press. Some of the features are great for the geocachers, but I think garmin went way too far away from a unit that still had solid field functionality. Not to mention all of the issues with the hardware on the units. I'm glad I sold mine a couple months ago, took a reasonable loss on it, but now that places are dumping the prices bigtime it's was the right choice.

As to the sale I think it says a lot, REI has never put on such a sale on a garmin GPS unit that has been out for such a short time that I've ever seen. In fact usually coupons and % sales at REI specifically exclude gps units. Walmart is also blowing them out on clearance already.....on a unit that's only been out in the market for what 6 months. REI and walmart have never done a major clearance on the 76csx or 60csx and look how long they have been on the market. Prices have dropped over time sure, but you never saw $150+ sales on those units, certainly not in the first year they were out, no way. My guess is Garmin knows the colorado is an egg and they are phasing it out asap.

But one never knows they may keep it around too, but it's amazing how many sales people I have talked to in various stores, cabelas, sportsmans warehouse, rei, etc. that are all too familiar with massive issues with the colorado and are hesitant to recommend them.

REI will take back the Colorado no questions asked.....

I wasn't sure if you were speaking to my post or not. I have no doubts about REI's return policy - it's one of the best in the business.

My problem is that I bought and loaded the City Navigator maps on my CO and the maps are tied to the device. Garmin doesn't allow transfers of maps to other units, but they will send you a new unlock code with a replacement device if you have to get it replaced. The question is - if I return to REI under their liberal return policy, do they have any pull with Garmin to get them to also send me another unlock code for maps on the returned unit? Time will tell when I go in to return the CO...

Oh, sorry. I should have expounded. We just called Garmin (almost a 40 minute wait on hold), and they had us fax our "returned" receipt and then they emailed us a new unlock code.

As a point of information, I sold my Colorado 300 about a week after I purchased the Oregon 300. The Oregon is certainly not perfect, but it is way better than the Colorado.

You're not the first to say "way better". Is this based on performance (receiver behavior, accuracy, etc.) or because it has the touchscreen and easier alphanumeric entry?

Maybe REI and Wal*Mart are dumping the Colorado because they are sick and tired and lost money returning so many units? That doesn't mean Garmin, a huge GPS manufacturer, would come out with a GPS (Colorado) and cease to care for it six months later does it--that would be very pathetic? And surely if it comes to pass that Garmin does dump it there will be a good fair exchange to the Oregon or your money back...else 'you know what' will likely happen next. However, I also think in light of the poor technical support knowledge (support doesn't know what engineering does and still doesn't acknowled some of the oldest known problems, like the barometric pressure trending when the unit is turned off) there are some serious internal problems going on. This might also explain why these units were kicked on the market prematurely--unless everyone is really so satisfied to pay Garmin and beta test the products for free?

Edited by Ratsneve

[Major snipage]

That doesn't mean Garmin, a huge GPS manufacturer, would come out with a GPS (Colorado) and cease to care for it six months later does it--that would be very pathetic? And surely if it comes to pass that Garmin does dump it there will be a good fair exchange to the Oregon or your money back...else 'you know what' will likely happen next. However, I also think in light of the poor technical support knowledge (support doesn't know what engineering does and still doesn't acknowled some of the oldest known problems.

[minor little tuck]

How soon we forget what befell the customer base from Maggie, still standing, bewildered, holding there

castrated eXplorists, and chanting "But the guy on the phone said to do a full reset!"!

Now, send it back and get a device that's just as broken if not more so than the CO/ORs.

Jeebus, even Cobra and Bushnell are still limping around on the field, and quite spritely comparatively

speaking. Lowrance and DeLorme may very well be the 'sole survivors'.

Norm

I ordered my colorado at tigergps and wanted to give it back.

They said: you would have to contact Garmin directly for service or repair

Garmin said: you will need to speak to the dealer and discuss with them if they are willing to give

you a refund.

Therefore i had to sell it.

It makes me wonder if Garmin will sell a CO in 2009.

It was the worst gps-unit i ever had - still beta

I agree with freeday, I feel less confident with a Colorado than I did with my Magellan Meridian, Magellan eXplorist, Garmin Legend B&W, Garmin Vista C, Garmin Vista HCX, Garmin 60CSX.

I simply don't use the Colorado for anything but looking at those beautiful maps on that beautiful screen. Otherwise it's a paperweight.

Edited by yogazoo

As a point of information, I sold my Colorado 300 about a week after I purchased the Oregon 300. The Oregon is certainly not perfect, but it is way better than the Colorado.

You're not the first to say "way better". Is this based on performance (receiver behavior, accuracy, etc.) or because it has the touchscreen and easier alphanumeric entry?

I purchased the Colorado 300 in January; Garmin exchanged the device for another Colorado 300 in April. I was basically okay with the unit, as I was anticipating that Garmin would provide software updates to resolve some of its numerous flaws. Sadly I was mistaken, Garmin has not stepped up to the plate and made changes that would have made the device acceptable.

When my local REI received the Oregon 300 I dropped by to check it out; and I purchased it at that time. After a week or so with the unit I decided to sell the Colorado and keep the Oregon.

Here are some of the reasons:

Faster boot time.

Faster satellite acquisition.

Current profile is shown.

The track doesn't jump around like the Colorado's track when I am stationary.

Touch screen is nice.

Faster processor.

More thoughtfully designed case. The case seems better able to resist water intrusion

Smaller and useable with one hand.

Lanyard receptacle.

Batteries appears to last longer.

Easier alphanumeric entry.

Easier to reset tracks and trip computer.

Some negatives.

Yes, the screen brightness sucks in daylight. But, I am able to read the device mounted on my bicycle handlebar. I also use the device for routing when I am in a motor vehicle. Plus I use the device when I am hiking. I have Topo 2008 and a routable version of Metroguide installed.

I am unhappy with Garmin's misleading and duplicitous marketing attempts to show the Oregon as having a bright screen in outdoor situations. I believe that is fraudulent and I would expect some mad-dog attorney to bring a class-action lawsuit against Garmin for their lowlife marketing...but I am getting off of the subject at hand!

Please note that I am not a geocacher and I do not use any of the geocaching options.

Barrikady

Edited by Barrikady

A few weeks ago, I went to REI to gets some hands on experience with the Oregon. I subsequently fell in love with it. The touch screen, navigation, and even typing was a breeze to use. Well, I saw one flaw. The 3D driving mode map was so slow that it would be almost useless while driving.

The salesman told me that the Garmin representative was in the store a few days prior. He stated to REI that the Colorado will probably just going to be discontinued due to all of the problems. I'll admit that I never bought one because of all of the flaws, albeit software & hardware, that have been posted in these forums.

Of course, I didn't play with the Oregon enough to see any real flaws. So, I think the Colorado will end up being the black eye in Garmin's reputation.

P.S. Too bad a unit that has seen so many flaws and problems had to be named Colorado. When I hear "Colorado" I generally think of outdoor ruggedness. When I hear Oregon, I think of a small frilly device that won't last. I think Garmin should have switched the names on the devices. Well, we'll have to see if the Oregon turns out to be any good.

Yikes!! - The earth is flat and we never really landed on the moon. Conspiracy theories are alive and well. I think some are reading waaaaaaay too much into a little tidbit of info.

I actually like my Colorado.

The Garmin repair depot must like my CO. They have had it for 35 days with no ETA of when they will get a replacment to me.

Big tidbit

I like my Colorado too. I would just hate to see Garmin stop supporting it. I am an avid hiker/rock climber, some geocaching and the Colorado is better suited for me than the Oregon. Ext. antenna, non-touch screen, better visible screen. Alls I ask is that they fix the problems. Sounds simple to me. :laughing:

P.S. Too bad a unit that has seen so many flaws and problems had to be named Colorado. When I hear "Colorado" I generally think of outdoor ruggedness. When I hear Oregon, I think of a small frilly device that won't last. I think Garmin should have switched the names on the devices. Well, we'll have to see if the Oregon turns out to be any good.

:laughing: Yes, well I live in Oregon and I think there is a lot of ruggedness here in the volcanic Cascades too. I think naming GPSr's after any state wasn't the best idea but the names are easy to stick with. Right now it looks like the Oregon may have a better future then the Colorado but Garmin really has let their management slip. I just got off the phone with a technical support rep supervisor at Garmin _finally_ called me back about my frustrations with the Colorado. I tried to give Garmin through him as diplomatic a thrashing over these units as I could. Althoug he was polite about it all it was very clear from his tone that he thinks we, on geocaching.com, don't know what we are talking about and that Garmin knows best in every way. He wasn't interested at all in suggesting to his management that Garmin should take any action or interest or presence in any forums. Fortunately for me I earlier today got my prepaid UPS shipping label to return the defective CO.

Since you got me started into Garmin I also think they have made a mistake dividing up there business the way they have. If you are looking for a portable GPS for street navigation there aren't any. If you are looking for a geocaching portable you won't find any in the nuvi line. If you've got a street navigation issue on the Oregon will Garmin care since the OR is a portable outdoors GPSr? If you've got a nuvi and are having some trouble doing paperless geocaching with it will Garmin ever fix the problem or just come out with another new nuvi? I think the company needs to downsize and reorganize and start somehow treating us as "partners" rather then "foes".

Maybe technology industries can't be nice and survive for long? Microsoft is the same way--untouchable with a "we can do no wrong" attitude. Last month I got a $35 refund check from some Microsoft concern in Idaho I think it was. I wasn't do any refund and there was no detail included with the check as to what the refund was for and absolutely no contact information. I tried to find out but could find no one interested even with a case opened up on it. I finally just cashed the check. These are "poor" companies that have no _easy_ means for customers to resolve problems.

Edited by Ratsneve