what works the best for a cache container

Bmxer11

Ah, I got mine for three bucks. A little elbow grease to remove the lettering and you got the best dang cache container for ... uhm, three bucks.

If you ask a general question about containers, ammocan is the response you will get.

You can try the lock-n-lock but you'll pay about the same. Decent containers for plastic.

Lock & lock style plastic containers work very well too, and come in various shapes and sizes, try looking in the kitchen aisle of your local superstore, I'd definately choose a lock & lock type container over any other plastic sandwich box as the lids stay on properly, other ones sometimes leak.

From a finder's stand point, I get more excited about finding a well hidden ammo can than any other container, and especially when they are marked with a geocaching sticker. Otherwise they may be interpreted a little ominously.

The lock-n-lock is in second place for me.

Any other plastic container, should probably be put inside a rugged plastic bag, from my experience.

Plastic film vials seem to be able to remain water-tight for quite a while, if they are not exposed to the sun. But, honestly, these smaller containers don't juice me up like a bigger one.

Just my opinion, VT

Plastic containers have problems here in the desert heat. Plus when you pile rocks on top of them they eventually crack and split. Had on ethe other day that was full of water log book was ruined the whole thing stunk. I did what I could by taping the lid and putting some spare log pages in a zip lock. So make sure your cache containers are tough.

I have seen some large mayonaise plastic containers roaming around and they get painted to blend into the enviroment .

I've been using my BPA-laden Nalgene bottles. They won't fit a traditional size log, but they get the basic job done.

We've also managed to find a couple at thrift stores for under $1, since others are trying to get rid of them now, too.

Sweet it worked! makes starting the rumors worth it! :cry:

ah! found the picture of my first cache container

went to the army surplus intended on buying a ammo box, but they had none because apparently with steel prices being so high they would have had to sell them at to high a price.

so i bought this for €15.00 :anibad:

dscn1364wm0.th.jpg

there is one bigger size, nearly double this.

earned me a Cache Reward Coin for Great Container

ah! found the picture of my first cache container

went to the army surplus intended on buying a ammo box, but they had none because apparently with steel prices being so high they would have had to sell them at to high a price.

so i bought this for €15.00 :anibad:

dscn1364wm0.th.jpg

there is one bigger size, nearly double this.

earned me a Cache Reward Coin for Great Container

I am guessing that this is an aluminum container with a sealed twist lid. Never seen one of these. What was the original purpose for it?

its PVC (plastic) with a screw on lid which has a rubber oring, so 100% waterproof

no idea what these are for specifically as i bought it as an empty container.

i have seen simular containers (the lid is a very specific shape) used for dry storing crystalline (cfr salts) and powderous products.

at the previous office i think they used these to store the "salt" (not really salt) that was used to clear the ice from the carpark during winter.

Buy your wife a can of Pepperidge Farm cookies (or yourself for that matter.

They come in a metal can with a lid. Spray paint black and cut a coffee can lid to the right size for a gasket....voila! You get a water resistant regular cache container and your wife gets cookies to nibble on while you're out beating the bushes :rolleyes:

regular.jpg

Or for a larger cache on a budget, use a 3-lb. coffee can itself. Spray paint black or camo. The plastic lid will keep out moisture.

If you look around the house, you'll find all sorts of cache containers :ph34r: