"Google Earth" - Friend or foe of earthcaches?

danieloliveira

With the development of GE, has anyone received half made up answers to their EC tasks? I thought of this because I've just received two replies to answers on two of my EC's that were clearly obtained via GE. Unfortunately for him he cannot answer all the questions.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Edited by danieloliveira

We are not approving EarthCaches that appear to have been developed using Google Earth coordinates rather than people visiting the sites recently.

The main reason we want people to develop EarthCaches that they have visited recently (like within a month or two of visiting) is because ground conditions change and we want the very best safety information for people who visit.....roads and tracks change, fences are installed or removed, signs are changed etc.

While people claim they have grown up in an area and know the locations etc, unless you have actually visited the site and taken (averaged) coordinates and checked out the safety issues, please DON"T submit the EarthCache, as we are most likely going to reject it during the approval process. Think of the safety of the visitors!

Edited by geoaware

My question is how do you know whos been where? Do you call to verify the location is still open or do you just assume because the person is from NY that there is no way they could of been someplace like AZ recently?

There is no way you can track where each person goes. Personally I been to 15 different states this year, Yes I do travel a lot. Its part of the Military.

Just a question :yikes: ...

We are not approving EarthCaches that appear to have been developed using Google Earth coordinates rather than people visiting the sites recently.

The main reason we want people to develop EarthCaches that they have visited recently (like within a month or two of visiting) is because ground conditions change and we want the very best safety information for people who visit.....roads and tracks change, fences are installed or removed, signs are changed etc.

While people claim they have grown up in an area and know the locations etc, unless you have actually visited the site and taken (averaged) coordinates and checked out the safety issues, please DON"T submit the EarthCache, as we are most likely going to reject it during the approval process. Think of the safety of the visitors!

Maybe I expressed myself badly. I was using the example of GE in the sense that people try to use GE in order to answer the questions related to a particular earthcache requirements, eg. the shape of a feature. I did mean it as a tool for obtaining coordinates and to create earthcaches :yikes: Peace!

How do we / Who do we report these problems to? I didn't see anything listed on the Earthcache site except "how-to" instructions and the form to build an earthcache. I found one Earthcache parking coordinates were almost one mile from actual location and walk-in to the required photo location was from the opposite direction. After a discussion with the land owner, we figured the coordinates were in the middle of a cornfield supposedly at the end of a road that hasn't been there since horse & buggy days.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose