New idea - Frownie face on the map

jillybeanAZ

In an effort to have geocachers log all DNFs, I would like to see the blue frownie face placed on the map. That way, we will see the yellow smilie face for the caches we've found, the blue frownie face for the caches we've attempted to find and logged a DNF, and the cache symbol for the caches we have not attempted.

Eric at Groundspeak asked that I start a thread in this forum regarding the topic. With enough support, the idea may be implemented in a future release.

What do you think?

There are people that feel the easiest way to not look like they failed is to not advertise that they tried.

Otherwise, since I use the map for adventure planning, I focus on the caches I am going to seek, previous DNF or not. I will abstain from voting.

Edited by Moose Mob

I like the idea a lot. I'm all for it!

It would be nice to be able to see, at a glance, which of the three categories each cache belongs to.

I don't always log a DNF if I fail at a cache-finding attempt, but I believe the implementation of this idea would give me a good reason to do so – as long as doing so doesn't result in a bunch of unrequested spoilers via email, that is.

I assume that a previously-DNFed cache which I later find will change from a frownie to a smiley, even if I leave my DNF(s) on the cache page?

Also: Could a similar denotation be added to the cache search results list page? It would be great to be able to see previously DNFed caches there as well.

If Wimseyguy's ag'in it, you know it's a good idea, so yeah, I'd be all for it. :yikes:

Actually, I've thought of/wished for that feature & think it'd be highly useful, so naturally would like to see it. And I also support the idea of same on the Search results pages - even moreso there.

I'd also like to see an ability to toggle any of the icons OFF for those you just wish to ignore, for whatever reason. (Less clutter on maps you're wanting to print out, say, for a weekend run.)

~*

Oh yeah, I'm in!

One of the first things I do is toggle off the smilies so I can get to the business at hand (finding more stuff!). Frownies would get a lot more attention from me if they were displayed on the map. It is too bad my Garmin ignores other icons as custom POI's rather than Geocached (with the little treasure chest), or I would export the data to me GPSr with the icon indicating that I had DNF'd a hide before.

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

Absolutely!!! I'm usually against a lot of these ideas, but this is I think a singularly fantastic idea :yikes: Having a notes icon would be great, too. I'll sometimes take on a multistage or puzzle in sections so it would be great to keep track of these right on a map interface. :P

I agree with putting the blue frownie faces on the maps, designating the DNF's. I don't think it will discourage any additional people from logging DNFs though beyond those who do not log them now. I also like the idea of a little "notes" icon, if that is possible to do. That way you could click on them to remind yourself of coordiantes or clues found, or whatever; both great ideas. I hope to see them implimented.

I'm amazed at the general agreement in this thread. Of course, there are still 3 people who say no, but that's how it goes.

Also impressive to see a feature suggestion which I don't think has been suggested before. Great idea! It would be nice if it were optional though. The 'DNF Smiley' would hide the cache type for the unfound cache. So there should be a new checkbox 'show DNFs' which would change all the cache type icons into DNFs (if a DNF has been logged by you on the cache, and it has not been found by you yet)

In another current website thread there's a request for all logs on one page.

I think that having an "all logs" PQ gives both OPs a version of what they want. If you could download all of your logs (preferably with a selection option) then you could slice them and dice them in secondary software.

I just used a filter in GSAK on "My Finds" query, and have 71 DNF logs in that group. That means I have 95 other DNF logs, on caches I haven't found. I'd have to manually paw through that page of DNF logs to see them

If I could download "all logs," I could filter on caches I haven't found, + DNF logs, and I'd have that list. I could then generate a .gpx and drop it into mapping software of choice.

I don't see where this would cause anyone to log DNFs who doesn't currently.

I confess I'm not logging them lately - I log 'em where I enjoyed the hunt, to remind me of it, or where I really think there's something amiss that the cache owner might want to check. Otherwise I've gotten lazy. This also applies to finds that are so forgettable that I'm willing to just go ahead and forget 'em, though I'm selecting caches with more care to avoid this...

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I'm amazed at the general agreement in this thread. Of course, there are still 3 people who say no, but that's how it goes.

Not against it at all. On the contrary, I wish DNFs were more visible all around. It's harder to expose someone's hypocrisy in the forums when you can only search their finds ( :) ). Seriously, I'm in favor, it's a cool feature, I just don't think it will encourage people to log DNFs.

I don't always log a DNF if I fail at a cache-finding attempt, but I believe the implementation of this idea would give me a good reason to do so – as long as doing so doesn't result in a bunch of unrequested spoilers via email, that is.

Alright, except KBI.

Edited by Dinoprophet

In an effort to have geocachers log all DNFs, I would like to see the blue frownie face placed on the map. That way, we will see the yellow smilie face for the caches we've found, the blue frownie face for the caches we've attempted to find and logged a DNF, and the cache symbol for the caches we have not attempted.

Eric at Groundspeak asked that I start a thread in this forum regarding the topic. With enough support, the idea may be implemented in a future release.

What do you think?

I'm for this -- it would be good feedback if you are using the google maps interface for finding a cache, especially if it's been a while since you logged the DNF.

I would use it.

Well I might, but I usually never use the maps in the first place. And I know each and every one of my 2000 finds, and xx DNF's. Can't you remember which caches you haven't done or have had trouble with?

If I'm in a pinch I can go to my profile, click çaches'and click 'DNF' to see them all! And with my fantastic memory I know everything there is to remember about each and every one of them, LOL.