Garmin - Canadian Contact

Tequila

Does anyone know if Garmin has any employees in Canada? I am looking for someone who actually works for Garmin, probably in a sales capacity. I don't want Raytech.

My Colorado has been in the Montreal Repair Depot (run by Raytech) for 30 days and they haven't even looked at it yet.

I want to escalate this situation and was hoping a Canadian Rep might be a good place to start.

Thx

Garmin has no offices in Canada. Call the USA opperation.

They have a Canadian presence. His name is Marcel Bouchard. His website is http://amb-inc.com/fr/accueil/

However, in typical Garmin style, there is no phone number where you can reach a human being.

Marcel Bouchard

35 Principale

Pierreville, Québec

J0G 1J0

Téléphone/Fax : 450.568.2736

That phone number is useless. It goes to a fax machine.

I found the true rep for Garmin: Graywood Sporting Group in Peterborough Ontario. 705-749-0622

Now hopefully we can get something done about my Colorado.

It took 4 weeks to the day for them to look at mine and decided it was beyond reapir and sent me a new one, all together, from the first time I contacted Garmon until I had a properly working unit in hand, 7 weeks. Next time I'd pay the extra to send it state side.

Oh great! I just sent my Colorado 300 there on Wednesday, and I really really need it back by the 7th of September. I figured 3 weeks was enough time...

What did the Graywood guys say when you called? Were you calling Raytech before?

And out of interest - what was wrong with your Colorado? With mine the wheel intermittently started and stopped working.

I called Graywood head office and they have nothing to do with repairs and are only sales reps in Canada. According to them, Raytech is the only avenue for repair in Canada. Why can't we ship our units directly back to the US manufacturer?

If you have already sent it to Raytech, call after a week and insist on talking to Stehpanie. She is the manager. If you leave it alone, it will take forever. Raytech is notoriously slow and Graywood told me they are in the process of replacing Raytech as the service rep for Garmin.

If you have not already sent it to Raytech, call this guy and INSIST on being able to send it back to the U.S.

Dan Bartel

Vice President, Worldwide Sales

Garmin International Inc.

1200 E 151st St

Olathe, KS 66062-3426

dan.bartel@garmin.com

He is the guy who replaced my third defective CO with a new OR.

....Why can't we ship our units directly back to the US manufacturer?

Because that is the rules.....

They are actually made in China...

So it turns out those aren't the rules. After posting earlier today i sent another email to the support rep at Garmin. Here is our transaction:

"...You mentioned I should contact you

with any further concerns, and frankly, I am concerned. After doing some

research about raytech on the geocaching forums I'm hearing a lot of

talk about poor service, ridiculous wait times, and general

dissatisfaction with the services. I would rather send my unit to the

original manufacturer and am aware that there may be additional shipping

costs associated with this. I also know that RMA's have been provided

numerous times for Canadian customers to process a repair through Garmin

USA. Please do what you can to make this happen. I made the choice to go

Garmin SPECIFICALLY based on the feedback regarding your superior

customer service. I hope that feedback is still accurate. Thank you for

your time and assistance in this matter."

The Reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to set up

a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for the repair. I suggested

Raytech to avoid customs and duties fees. If you would still like to

send your unit into Garmin for repair, that is perfectly fine as well.

Please ship just the unit to GARMIN as follows:

GARMIN International

Dock Door # 18

Attn: RMA # *********** (No, you can't have my RMA number)

1200 East 151st Street

Olathe, KS 66062

I suggest you insure the package and ship it with a carrier that allows

you to track the package during transit in case something were to happen

to the unit while on its way to our facility. Also if you send your

original box you will not be receiving it back and you may lose any

stored data as part of the service process. From the time that we

receive the unit, we should have it back to you within 7-10 business

days."

So there you go. Talk to Garmin and insist on sending it to them and they'll give you the required RMA numbers. Take into account however that you will have to pay more for shipping, and when you receive a unit back there's the chance you'll be hit for GST and Customs fees.

I'm hoping not to get hit with any fees crossing the border, and since two friends CO's have conveniently broken down at the same time, we shipped them all back together today and split the cost, saving me about 60 bucks. Here's hoping I see it before I leave for the states in a couple weeks.

I'm hoping not to get hit with any fees crossing the border, and since two friends CO's have conveniently broken down at the same time, we shipped them all back together today and split the cost, saving me about 60 bucks. Here's hoping I see it before I leave for the states in a couple weeks.

Finally!!!! A benefit to so many defective Colorado's. :laughing:

Charbs....Keep us posted on what Garmin does. I would like to know if they "Repair" the unit, or, send you a new unit in replacement for the damaged one. I'm having an accuracy issue with my Colorado and have been on the phone with Garmin support twice so far. Next step....I'm sending it in!

Thanks,

RJ

Charbs....Keep us posted on what Garmin does. I would like to know if they "Repair" the unit, or, send you a new unit in replacement for the damaged one. I'm having an accuracy issue with my Colorado and have been on the phone with Garmin support twice so far. Next step....I'm sending it in!

Thanks,

RJ

Based on my experience, they referred to your replacement as a "reburbished unit" but I suspect it could be a new one depending on what they have available.

I strongly urge you to contact the Garmin VP I mentioned above. I left a vox for his assistant and within an hour I had a call from Garmin and they agreed to replace my CO with an OR as I requested.

Hmmm, interesting, my "replacement" colorado from Raytec has started exhibiting the dreaded drift issue. Maybe it's time to start comlaining to Garmin, pretty bad when you can't trust your GPS and have to carry an older more accurate unit as a backup.

Well, after reading Tequila's posts last night I decided to send another email to Troy at Garmin and see if he'd be able to switch out my CO for an OR. I haven't heard anything back from him, so I just tried to call the VP mentioned above and got a recording because it's after hours. If I don't get a response from Troy I'll try the VP again tomorrow. It would be great to get an OR a CO!

I'll keep you posted!

Based on my experience, they referred to your replacement as a "reburbished unit" but I suspect it could be a new one depending on what they have available.

I strongly urge you to contact the Garmin VP I mentioned above. I left a vox for his assistant and within an hour I had a call from Garmin and they agreed to replace my CO with an OR as I requested.

Tequila.....

So they replaced your 400t with the OR at no additional charge. Do you really like the OR better then the CO? I looked at one tonight at Gander Mnt.. However, they had no batteries so I could'nt play around with it.

RJ

Edited by rjmlakota

Well after reading this thread I was reluctant to send my Vista HCX to RAYTECH ELECTRONIQUE in Laval Quebec.

My unit has had the "rubber" issue several times and while Garmin has been good to send me the parts I wanted to have them look at it this time because this time it was much worse than prior times and warrenty is up in April.

I sent my unit on the afternoon of March 6th from the Vancouver area.

I received a email late yesterday afternoon (1617 hr) saying my unit was being returned to me and I should expect it this Thursday. Boy was I surprised at 8:35 this am when Canada Post was at my door with my unit.

I opened the box to find a new unit in place of my old one and most of the material on it had been placed back on it. The surprise is this unit is a slightly different unit than my old one and some of the screens are slightly different with different icons. This unit is a Etrex Vista HCx,GPS,AM,TOPO 2008 Bundle while my old one was a eTrex Vista® HCx. The main difference is some of the screens and the icons they use. There is also one nag screen that i am trying to get rid of to at this point.

I suspect that Raytech had their knuckles wrapped and service appears to be much better, so does Canada Posts service appear to better..... 17 hours from Laval to Vancouver, not bad.....

Phil