Question from a beginner.

screech20

Thanks for helping me out.

I am a just getting started into geocaching and have a quick question or two.

1. Which GPS unit do I really need. All the forums I have been in seem to generally rate the Garmin 60C as the best for the dollar. Do I really need to spend that money as a new geocacher or can I get away with the cheaper models? Does it really make it easier therefor more fun?

2. My wife and I are former college athletes, now not so much, but not slobs. What type of cache am I looking for for like a half hour to hour hike through the woods without major feets of strength or acrobatics?

Thanks for your responses

Sir Screech

It all depends on what types of caches you want to go after. GPS units come in two basic categories - mapping and non-mapping. Here are the pros and cons of each:

Mapping Units (ie: Garmin 60CSx)

Pros: Can load multiple detailed maps. Optional extra features such as compass and/or barometer. Comes with a base map that will show major roads, highways and interstates. Detailed maps available separately show neighborhood streets with navigation, topographical maps or marine navigation maps.

Cons: Expensive. Can be overwhelming for someone who's never used a GPS before, but not terribly so.

Non Mapping Units (ie: Garmin eTrex basic)

Pros: Not expensive at all. Not always, but some are smaller than other mapping units from the same company. Since the functionality is limited, it is quicker to learn.

Cons: No roads, streams or rivers display on the screen to give you a reference to where you are. A paper map is needed in conjunction to properly create a route and navigate in the field.

That being said, I highly suggest a mapping unit to someone who is new to GPS and outdoor hiking. If you're on a budget, there are a few companies out there that sell refurbished Delorme units that go beyond normal mapping GPS units and have color satellite imagery. A friend just bought one for $169. It should be here today so I can put my hands on it and see just how good it is.

When you are out in the middle of nowhere, especially next to a lake or river, a mapping unit is light years beyond a non mapping unit as you have the ability to zoom out, look at the map and choose the best route to get yourself "un-lost" in the shortest amount of time.

Edited by team140

I agree with Team140. If you are just wanting to see if you even like to geocache I would not recommend spending hundreds of dollars on a gps unit. I also would not recommend taking the first cache that goes two or three miles into the back forest either.

May I suggest starting off with some nice easy urban finds so you can learn how to use your gps. Keep your Terrain and Difficulty at two or less for both. This will keep you from getting frustrated right off the bat.

When you do decide to go into an area that has a lot of trails remember to turn tracking on so you can find your way back to your car much easier. Out in the parks, woods, forest, swamps, etc. it is very easy to get turned around.

As far as cache sizes go. Could be a micro (bison tube or 35mm container) to Large Ammo boxes or even bigger. Look at the description and it will tell you the size you are looking for. You will quickly find out what types of caches you prefer to go after..

Above all if you have questions ask. Cachers are generally a very helpful bunch and will be glad to point you in the right direction.

-HHH :yikes:

Thanks!!

I have been reading some posts here and have picked up Google Earth, punched in the coordinates and will go try of the local ones out this weekend to feel out the difficulty and terraine.

Its not so much the budget, but should I just shell out the extra $100 for the features? You make it sound like it is worth it-when I truly see that this is gonna be worth the investment

If the cost doesn't bother you, then feel free to get a mapping unit. Keep in mind, the optional maps have a price tag too. My best advice is to find your local sporting goods store (not Walmart) and see if you can talk a salesman into taking a mapping and non-mapping unit out in the parking lot with you so you can see the difference for yourself.

Garmin has a nice feature on their site that allows you to see exactly what the detailed maps offered by them look like on the GPS unit. Check it out here http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ and choose a map from the "MapSource Map Viewer" drop down box.

Also, the mapping unit, while being $100 more, can get quite expensive if you keep stacking more maps on it. For instance, I have approximately $1200 invested in my 60CSx - but, I have every CONUS map offered for it except for a few inland lakes that are far, far from here.

For a starter GPS look at one of the basic garmins like the yellow e-trex, it sells in most places for less than $100.00 and will get you to a cache jaut about as well as any other GPS.

You do not need a map display on a GPS screen to find a cache, it is cool to look at but not needed.

When I printed paper maps of the area with the caches on the maps to get a general idea of what cache to go to next, this kept me from covering the same terrain several times in a day

Edited by JohnnyVegas

All of my following suggestions will get you to a cache site and let you find a cache as accurately as any of the others. The rest is just bells and whistles that are not necessary for Geocaching but can make it just a bit easier.

Low end: Garmin eTrex "H" - about $90 but B&W screen and serial computer interface - better to go with the Garmin Venture HC - color screen - some mapping, USb interface for about $130.

Mid - Range - Garmin Legend HCx - about $190 up to the 60CSx for $270 - rugged reliable, high sensitivity, long battery life - dedicated Geocaching features. The 60 also has an electronic compass and altimeter and a slightly larger form factor.

High End: Garmin Colorado Or Oregon models start about $400 and up but include all of the above plus the ability to go paperless geocaching and an easy to learn friendly Operating system. Some minor glitches as they are new but future updates should fix most. Also the new Garmin Nuvi 500 - is a rugged car/outdoor all-in-one unit for about $500.

Using google earth to find caches can work. I think you will spend more time searching that way. Try it a few times. I know a local guy who found a couple hundred caches that way before buying a gps. Not sure why?

I recommend a color unit over a B/W. I like my 60C, but I also recently bought a CO 300.

If you could hook up with a local cacher that would take you out a few times so you could get a feel for the sport, then come decision time thing would be a little easer. My point being if you can afford a map 60 or similar unit you will much happer with it from day one.Plus you will not have invested $100.00 + in a lesser unit that you no longer want or use, and want to sell so you can then upgrade to the better unit. I have found that when I try to save some money it usally winds up costing me more in the long run. Welcome to caching.