CacheMate Database?

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

I'm still getting used to paperless cacheing, and have a question about CacheMate Databases.

I ran a Pocket Querie a few days ago and I got a return of 500 caches in about a 20 mile radius. I think however it reached the 500 cache limit before it got to the 20 mile radius. I have some errands to run that take me out about 15 miles, I checked my palm for a cache that is located next to the shopping center, and it is not in its database.

Can I create a few databases in Cachemate that will expand the radius and include more caches?

How do all of you paperless CacheMate users create pocket queries to get the most results to load into your Palm device?

Thank you very much for any tips and info!

Here is one approach that I read about here in the forums for when there are more than 500 caches within your search radius (I have not actually tried it yet). Make two or more PQs that use the "Placed during" date range. That way you can specify one PQ that is for caches placed before 2005, one PQ for those placed between 2005 and 2007, etc. Experiment with the date ranges until you get results that are 500 caches or less for each PQ.

That's exactly what I did - I selected a state and then entered date ranges. I have databases for New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Massachusetts. Here's an example of the ranges for NJ - the third column shows how many caches were returned (I did a preview before finally submitting the PQ) and then named the query accordingly.

Geocache Date list (NJ)

6/1/2000 4/1/2004 440 NJ1

4/1/2004 4/1/2005 356 NJ2

4/1/2005 1/1/2006 405 NJ3

1/1/2006 7/1/2006 370 NJ4

7/1/2006 1/1/2007 390 NJ5

1/1/2007 5/1/2007 423 NJ6

3/1/2007 7/1/2007 439 NJ6A

7/1/2007 10/1/2007 370 NJ7

10/1/2007 12/1/2007 212 NJ7A

12/1/2007 3/1/2008 376 NJ8

3/1/2008 5/1/2008 388 NJ8A

5/1/2008 8/1/2008 495 NJ9

8/1/2008 8/8/2008 NJUpdate

Good Luck and happy caching.

Here is one approach that I read about here in the forums for when there are more than 500 caches within your search radius (I have not actually tried it yet). Make two or more PQs that use the "Placed during" date range. That way you can specify one PQ that is for caches placed before 2005, one PQ for those placed between 2005 and 2007, etc. Experiment with the date ranges until you get results that are 500 caches or less for each PQ.

I do this and it works very well. If you are using GSAK you can place all the PQ's in to a database and then load them all to cachemate at once. I have several databases for different areas that I travel to, and have several thousand caches loaded in the cachemate databases for each area.

Where does the 500 limit come into play then? I can't remember.

There is a 500 cache limit for the PQ'd but not a limit on the number of caches that can be in the cachcmate db that I'm aware of, one of the databases I have in cachemate has over 8000.

Edited by hlq

Thanks a bunch everyone!

I did break my pq's down by year, and in a few cases I had to break them down to four months to get under the 500 limit. It will take 10 pq's to get out 30 miles from my house and get every cache from 1998 to present. I scheduled them to run 5 on Saturday, and 5 on Sunday.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Thanks a bunch everyone!

I did break my pq's down by year, and in a few cases I had to break them down to four months to get under the 500 limit. It will take 10 pq's to get out 30 miles from my house and get every cache from 1998 to present. I scheduled them to run 5 on Saturday, and 5 on Sunday.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

From 1998 to May of 2000 very few if any caches were hidden so I would not include those dates.

Jim

I do PQs based on city. It especially helps when I'm traveling and I don't have to sort through hundreds and hundreds of caches in Cachemate. You can make more than one database in Cachemate. I currently have about 12.

Here is how to do it using a Palm device. Tape the Cachemate tab at the top. This should bring up a menu selection. Select 'Option' -> 'Select DB' This should bring up a list of databases. Underneath the list, type the name of the new database then tap 'New'. This will create your new database. When you load in your PQ (I'm using GSAK) with a Hot Sync and then open Cachemate you will be able to select which database you want to put it in by way of a drop down menu.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers! :)