Looking at new GPS, baffled

Scorch07

Ok so I'm wanting to get a new GPS, as my current one (Garmin Map 76) is rather old and, well, inaccurate. I really like the Oregon, but I've seen very mixed reviews on it. One review mentioned 30' drift in heavy woods, describing it as not so great. Now compared to what I get with mine, that sounds incredible. When I first started looking I was dead set on the Oregon, but now I"m starting to wonder a little bit. The 60CSx being half the price and apparently more accurate sounds appealing, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm just really getting tired of the low-res screen and my GPS only being able to get me within 50ft or more of a cache.

On a related note, is there any chance my GPS could just have something configured wrong or something? I'm dead serious when I say it is NEVER right about the location of a cache. Once I get in any sort of woods it goes haywire, saying it's 100ft that way, no 40ft THAT way, no wait 70ft the other way. I know that's bound to happen every now and then, but on every single cache I've ever done? Also, according to the few that have found the cache I placed the other day, the coords are about 100ft off.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help on either topic!

Ok so I'm wanting to get a new GPS, as my current one (Garmin Map 76) is rather old and, well, inaccurate. I really like the Oregon, but I've seen very mixed reviews on it. One review mentioned 30' drift in heavy woods, describing it as not so great. Now compared to what I get with mine, that sounds incredible. When I first started looking I was dead set on the Oregon, but now I"m starting to wonder a little bit. The 60CSx being half the price and apparently more accurate sounds appealing, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm just really getting tired of the low-res screen and my GPS only being able to get me within 50ft or more of a cache.

On a related note, is there any chance my GPS could just have something configured wrong or something? I'm dead serious when I say it is NEVER right about the location of a cache. Once I get in any sort of woods it goes haywire, saying it's 100ft that way, no 40ft THAT way, no wait 70ft the other way. I know that's bound to happen every now and then, but on every single cache I've ever done? Also, according to the few that have found the cache I placed the other day, the coords are about 100ft off.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help on either topic!

I'd go with the 60CSx over anything else that is currently in production. The Oregon and the also the Colorado are still fairly new and have a lot of bugs in them. The 60CSx has been around a lot longer and is a much more stable unit. True, it doesn't have all of the newest features, but it is a workhorse that gets the job done very nicely. I very highly recommend the 60CSx.

As far as your old unit going haywire in the woods, they all do that to a certain degree but the newer ones with the high sensitivity chips are much better in that regard. If you're using an old Map 76 you'll be shocked at the improvements made over the last few years.

We used an older GPSMAP 76s for years and really liked how it worked. I never had the 50 feet off that you mentioned so i'm not sure why yours seemed to be so far off. Of course, it did have a difficult time keeping satelite lock under trees at times so i can see how it could happen.

Since i was used to the 76s, i recently decided to get the new and improved 76Cx. Like Roadrage stated, this new one is amazing in that i have yet to lose satelite signal in the woods, in the middle of the vehicle, or even inside the house. It's faster, has the memory card slot, and even though the display is smaller than the 76s, is easier to read. I believe it has the same guts as the 60cx but it's in the same format as the older 76 series and may be the way to go if you like the feel of the older unit.

My opinion, i believe the Oregon has a touch screen and i just can't see how that could be a good idea on a unit that you take out into the woods...

You are going to find some who like the colorado and some who like the Oregon and vice versa. Your best bet is to try both.

I wish one of the new garmins had a 3mg pixel camara included.

I have to agree with getting the 60csx. It is tried and true technology. I liked my 60c a lot, but I couldn't resist the new technology any longer. I bought a CO 300. So far I like it. I will be abusing it this weekend on some long cachin' hikes. I will have my 60c with me just in case!

The 60 isn't an upgrade from the 76 unless you get the x series that has the new receiver. The only difference betwee the tow is that the 60 is water resistant and the 76 is waterproof and recommended for boaters, fishers, etc. I have a 5 year old 76 that gets me to ground zero regularly. As to the heavy forest drift the new receiver helps with that but trees block/reduce the signal and nothing can be done about that.

Well it looks like I'll be getting the 60CSx tomorrow or Monday. I'm getting pretty excited about actually being able to get signal! haha

Just out of curiosity though, does it do routing out of the box or does that require additional maps? This is not a feature I'll use heavily anyway, but just wondering.

Well it looks like I'll be getting the 60CSx tomorrow or Monday. I'm getting pretty excited about actually being able to get signal! haha

Just out of curiosity though, does it do routing out of the box or does that require additional maps? This is not a feature I'll use heavily anyway, but just wondering.

Just curious why you aren't interested in the PN-40 that comes out in October? Delorme is suppose to have better mapping but even the PN-40 uses a smaller screen. I got a Colorado and have had decent luck with it though I love to bitch and moan and groan about its problems. If the 60 CSx wasn't already mature I would seriously stay away from Garmin products because I've been so disappointed and shocked at Garmin's technical support with the Colorado and Oregon. Maybe some persaonnel changed in the company and someone decided good beta testing and support for new GPSr's was no longer needed? :D Unless I just had to get a new GPS I think now I'd just forget about the hobby and look again six or eight months from now. And I certainly would explore around with what good mapping detail might really be like on a small screen compared to mediocre mapping on a larger screen. I still don't have this resolved but I still bought a Colorado. :D

Just curious why you aren't interested in the PN-40 that comes out in October? Delorme is suppose to have better mapping but even the PN-40 uses a smaller screen. I got a Colorado and have had decent luck with it though I love to bitch and moan and groan about its problems. If the 60 CSx wasn't already mature I would seriously stay away from Garmin products because I've been so disappointed and shocked at Garmin's technical support with the Colorado and Oregon. Maybe some persaonnel changed in the company and someone decided good beta testing and support for new GPSr's was no longer needed? :D Unless I just had to get a new GPS I think now I'd just forget about the hobby and look again six or eight months from now. And I certainly would explore around with what good mapping detail might really be like on a small screen compared to mediocre mapping on a larger screen. I still don't have this resolved but I still bought a Colorado. :D

It actually partly is the screen size, and size in general. The PN-40 just looks to small for my taste, and my dad (who will actually be using it a good bit) can't see so well up close, and judging by the pictures of the PN-40 he could barely use it, if at all.