Owner deletes posts

runewell

I reported that I found a particular 3-star cache which I thought was dissatisfying (GCZT0W). I think I'm entitled to my opinion but the owner also feels entitled to delete my opinion. Now I voice my opinion and also note that the owner keeps deleting my posts. Thoughts anyone?

The owner has more control over the logs so you might want to consider just posting a 'Found it' log.

Then move on to other caches.

If the cache is ... not worth finding, then the owner will see a trend. If it's an improper cache report it to a reviewer.

If you are just trying to make a point, do what I suggested post a 'Found it' log and move on to other caches.

Edited by BlueDeuce

they won't get notice of your edits. So just post "Greatest cache ever!" then in a few days edit it to say "stinky cache, this is awful!"

I'm just joking actually. I've seen people do that, but it's not going to do any good in the long run. The cache page belongs to the owner, and you won't be able to put something on there the owner doesn't want. Your best bet is to wait a while, then just log a tnln log a couple weeks from now with the correct date.

I reported that I found a particular 3-star cache which I thought was dissatisfying (GCZT0W). I think I'm entitled to my opinion but the owner also feels entitled to delete my opinion. Now I voice my opinion and also note that the owner keeps deleting my posts. Thoughts anyone?

Cache owners can delete logs. Logs that are untruthful, give out more information than the cache owner wants given or are excessively rude should be deleted. You might consider if your log fell into one of these categories.

Log Date: 7/4/2008

Been here twice before. Happily meralgia found it not long before we were ready to leave. Dissatifying and uninteresting cache, better to ask someone for a specific hint and save two hours of your life.

Found it third time. Don't say anything bad about it or Mr Boreas will delete your post.

Log Date: 7/5/2007

Hi

Log Date: 7/5/2008

Dissatisfying cache. Owner continually deletes posts that say as much.

Log Date: 7/5/2008

Dissatisfying cache. Owner continually deletes posts that say as much.

Yes, Mr. Rune edited these after posting. Note the "Hi" log which is backdated. You should tell your forum buddies about your "tool"

Thanks for visiting. Come again.

Been here twice before. Happily meralgia found it not long before we were ready to leave. Dissatifying and uninteresting cache, better to ask someone for a specific hint and save two hours of your life.

I assume this was the first log that you deleted.

I am curious why you would feel it necessary to delete it?

Okay, looks like you are in a pissing match with the cache owner. If anything I would recommend that he up the difficulty level.

While as a cache owner I wouldn't delete a bad review from one person you might want to consider what you are trying to accomplish. Difficult is difficult which should be apparent to anyone reading the cache page, but if you are trying to get the cache closed down you need to talk to a reviewer.

So what are you trying to accomplish, give a bad review or report a cache?

Sounds like the perfect opp to file the ever ubiquitous "DPM" log....or "des palourdes mortes"* if ya wanta spell it out. Perhaps he won't know what it means, & might even think it's a compliment. At least, you'll get some sense of satisfaction knowing you got in another swing at the 'boss'.

But me? Keep swingin'. ~8)

~*

*Ref to: "Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit."

Edited by Star*Hopper

hey, for me it's all about writing the log. if i go to the trouble of writing a decent log, i hate it when it gets deleted.

so. onto the list.

My boss calls me his 'point maker' because I do not care to let things slide, but when I'm forced to I still want them to know the score. So I have no problem with letting someone know where I stand. It's just a matter of how far I want to carry it.

Do I go trash their cache? Do I keep logging a find? Do I post a public bookmark?

Nah, I know better ways.

Nah, I know better ways.

there's something better than my bookmark list?

i have a complete failure to believe that.

What are you expecting to happen when you post a negative bookmark. I think you want a battle, and so I agree that your approach works.

there's no battle.

some of the COs seem to think i'll rewrite my log so i can get my smilie.

no dice. i loved those logs like they were children to me.

and it's not so much a negative bookmark as it is a documentation of what i actually wrote.

i derive some satisfaction in maintaining a bookmark list of "caches for which my logs have been deleted".

if you delete one of my logs, i won't bother to attempt to re-log it in an edited form. it just goes on the list.

If you have so many deleted logs that you actually create a bookmark list for them, you might consider the possibility that it's not necessarily the cache owners with issues.

I'm probably an oddball here but I think rude logs are rude.

I have a cache hidden behind the old fire tower next to a clear spring that's excellent for fishing (and watch out for gators). I have some logs that are the "#485 of 1500 caches today" variety and I wonder if they even bothered to look up and around from the GPS. I have some logs that are delighted (or at least the cachers that wrote them were) with the surrounding area. But, if someone posts a "your cache sucks so you suck and should quit geocaching to prevent others from suffering from your undeniable suckiness", I won't delete it but I'm not going to be too happy either. I'll probably make a trip down to make sure the cache log was signed because if it wasn't, I'd have my reason to delete it. :wub:

I've gotten some logs that were so full of sarcasm that their smilie should've been a smirk... and it was related to putting a cache at a higher terrain than they, as fully able-bodied athletic people, thought was appropriate. Their sarcasm was funny, although some of it was teasing the border of respectful, and I explained as best I could why the difficulty and terrain were set... especially since I'd used the little quiz thing as an assistant. One was worried that he'd offended me and apologised. That was really nice of him.

I'm sorry you weren't thrilled with the hide but try to be productive, eh?

- Elle

i derive some satisfaction in maintaining a bookmark list of "caches for which my logs have been deleted".

if you delete one of my logs, i won't bother to attempt to re-log it in an edited form. it just goes on the list.

If you have so many deleted logs that you actually create a bookmark list for them, you might consider the possibility that it's not necessarily the cache owners with issues.

five.

there are five on the list:

one was a cache that wasn't there, and the owner resented my saying so.

one was a cache where the owner deleted my log because it was too long.

one was a log in which the owner thought i was giving a spoiler to another one of his caches that i'd never found, didn't know anything about, and never found out which one it was.

one was a log for which i posted a picture of a rock several hundred feet from the cache; my log was deleted because the owner had asked finders not to post pictures of the rock at which the cache was located. i posted the picture because this other far-away rock had some interesting graffiti on it. the owner had not said "don't post any pictures at all", or even "don't post any pictures of any rocks", but (paraphrasing) "don't post any pictures of the rock with the carving on it".

one was a moving cache and i wasn't allowed to log it as found since my caching partner had logged it.

i'm not sure why you assume i have "issues" with cache owners since five logs out of two thousand just doesn't stack up as a significant amount.

the bookmarks do, however, permit me to document what i wrote.

i have a much larger list of "my favorite parking lots". people assume that i'm being snarky, but it's mostly caches in whose parking lots i have taken pictures or otherwise had a good time. it's kind of a running joke.

I dunno.

I only read one of them and it went into a rant about nationalism and how you don't like flags.

I can't say I really fault the cache owner for deleting that one.

you'd probably delete this log, too.

I said I really couldn't fault the cache owner for deleting your log. I didn't say that I would have deleted it.

By the way, I went back and read another one which you kept linking from one depressing caching narrative to another one. I noticed that only one cache owner deleted your log out of several of them. I don't know how many because I was thoroughly depressed after reading the 4th one.

Again, I'm not saying that I would have deleted the log, but I certainly can't blame the cache owner who did for doing so. It really had more to do with your disdain for being dragged around caching than it had to do with the cache itself.

I dunno.

I only read one of them and it went into a rant about nationalism and how you don't like flags.

I can't say I really fault the cache owner for deleting that one.

you'd probably delete this log, too.

I said I really couldn't fault the cache owner for deleting your log. I didn't say that I would have deleted it.

By the way, I went back and read another one which you kept linking from one depressing caching narrative to another one. I noticed that only one cache owner deleted your log out of several of them. I don't know how many because I was thoroughly depressed after reading the 4th one.

Again, I'm not saying that I would have deleted the log, but I certainly can't blame the cache owner who did for doing so. It really had more to do with your disdain for being dragged around caching than it had to do with the cache itself.

i think "disdain" is rather the wrong word. what i'm doing here is telling the story of what happened. you perhaps missed the subtle humor in the telling about what is essentially a very dark time.

there's another thread in which people go on about how if you don't have anything to say about the gladware under a bush, you ought to tell what happened. sometimes there's joy and sometimes there's despair. i'm in the habit of telling about both.

those logs which you claim depressed you so are really about crashco's loyalty and goodness in the face of my miserable-ness, which was by far the most interesting thing about the day.

Unless you are leaving unwanted spoilers in the log, or using profanity, I think deleting legit found it logs is

wrong.

That said, if you get into a log/delete war the owner is going to win, so just log a found it with no criticism and be done with it. Then put all of his other caches on your ignore list and move on.

there's another thread in which people go on about how if you don't have anything to say about the gladware under a bush, you ought to tell what happened.

Again, I didn't read all the logs because I just could not read more than 4 of them. But what it appeared to me was not that you were telling what happened because you didn't have anything to say about gladware under a bush. It looked more like you wrote this huge, long narrative about your day and then broke it up and posted portions of it on each of the caches. I didn't really see anything about the 4 caches that those 4 notes were attached to.

And it's because your log had nothing to do with the cache that I can't blame the cache owner for deleting the note. I wouldn't do it just because I don't delete logs as a general rule. But I could see someone feeling justified in deleting those.

If you're having a bad day, it might be better to put it in your blog rather than in caching logs. There's no rule that I'm aware of that say that the logs must be about the cache, but they really should.

I'd prefer if you ever came in my neighborhood and didn't enjoy the mosquitos, gnats or anything else about the area just because of the mood you are in that you just log it with a SL and then blogged about it elsewhere.

However, if the gnats at the cache was the reason for your mood, then feel free to put it in your log. I actually have a cache in which half the logs are about the gnats. I haven't deleted any of them. It's part of the cache, good or bad. :wub:

so if i'm having a good day and i don't have a lot to say about the cache, i should feel free to write about that in the logs?

turns out that it's the PROCESS of looking for the caches that are the framework for the day and that's where the narrative goes.

what goes on along the way is just as relevant as if i saw ravens or smelled blueberries or if i fell on the path. it isn't about the gladware strictly, but it's what happened.

I'm quite suprised that the log in question is from one of the king's caches.

I've found his hides to be consistently good. Not suprising, since he's got more experience than anyone else on the planet with hiding caches.

Of course, I'm also suprised he'd take the time to zap one of your logs, since he probably gets 500 found it emails a day. :wub:

I've found his hides to be consistently good. Not suprising, since he's got more experience than anyone else on the planet with hiding caches.
Actually,that's often an inverse relationship, i find. More hides = worse hides.
I think that you missed CRC's first sentence: "I've found his hides to be consistently good."
Actually,that's often an inverse relationship, i find. More hides = worse hides.
I think that you missed CRC's first sentence: "I've found his hides to be consistently good."

Those are two independent observations. benh57's doesn't invalidate Bad_CRC's opinion, just makes a note about what s/he thinks is often the case with experienced hiders.

Although there are times when people just don't read what they're replying to. I don't think this was it, though.

- Elle

That said, if you get into a log/delete war the owner is going to win...

True, but an all out peeing match, no one will win--unless the logger, and friends, have no caches to protect. Even worse is if said confrontation develops a maggot who completely turns his back to the community and his new hobby is "cache cleanup."

We're finished discussing the option of removing someone's cache if there's a disagreement. Let's get back to the topic of how to handle logging disputes like grownups. Thanks.

Really? I wasn't finished, so we weren't finished yet, were we?

The logger has several options:

Try to reach an agreement with the cache owner

Complain about it in the forums

Complain about it to Groundspeak (we know they won't intervene)

Complain about it to a reviewer

Take care of the problem by eliminating the problem

All are equally 'grownup' or childish. Why? Because it's just a game!

We're finished discussing the option of removing someone's cache if there's a disagreement. Let's get back to the topic of how to handle logging disputes like grownups. Thanks.

The last option doesn't really eliminate the problem. It merely ups the anty.

The solution to the problem of a cache owner deleting finds is to reduce the tension, not increase it, in my opinion.

The solution to the problem of a cache owner deleting finds is to reduce the tension, not increase it, in my opinion.

Exactly! That’s always the best option and should always be the first choice when these things happen. Right now, Groundspeak doesn’t seem to have any effective way of dealing with the issue of valid logs being deleted by cache owners. It seems to come up every few months (or more but I’ve not been around here much) that a cache owner with delusions of grandeur deletes the find of someone who legitimately found their cache because they don’t like what the finder had to say. (Personally, if someone told me my cache sucked I’d take it as a hint that maybe my hide isn’t all I’d hoped it would be.)

The consensus seems to be that if the cache owner is unreasonable you should just give up because there’s nothing that you can do. Well, yes there is. True, it’s a last resort; but the finder isn’t powerless, even if it’s not PC to point it out.

It's an issue on both ends. I have had logs come in and state too much info about the hide location or something that could possibly disuede people from searching for it. I email them and rationally and diplomatically talk to them about their log and why I would like it changed. We discuss it like adults and the logs were changed. I have had people state something negative about a hide or the location and I email them and discuss it. If I see their point as valid I go and adjust the hide to prevent it from being a negative experience for others. I have had people write that the hiding spot is trashy and question why anyone would hide something there. Sometimes locations degraded over time so I disable the cache and more or archive as necessary.

The goal of an owner should be the pleasure of the cachers (even when frustrated with a DNF on tricky camo or a puzzle cache, the cacher should still have fun trying). It seems some owners seem to think the opinion of a cacher isn't worth bothering with, but by the same token some cachers think what "they" feel is the best caching experience is the only thing that should be out there disregarding what other cachers like to seek. It's a game with a load of people playing, can't please all of the people all of the time but you can please all of them some of the time :yikes:

That is not true at all. Advocating that people go out and vandalize or steal a cache is criminal, not something grownups do, unless they are in fact criminals.

Edited by UncleJimbo

Exactly! That’s always the best option and should always be the first choice when these things happen. Right now, Groundspeak doesn’t seem to have any effective way of dealing with the issue of valid logs being deleted by cache owners. It seems to come up every few months (or more but I’ve not been around here much) that a cache owner with delusions of grandeur deletes the find of someone who legitimately found their cache because they don’t like what the finder had to say. (Personally, if someone told me my cache sucked I’d take it as a hint that maybe my hide isn’t all I’d hoped it would be.)

The consensus seems to be that if the cache owner is unreasonable you should just give up because there’s nothing that you can do. Well, yes there is. True, it’s a last resort; but the finder isn’t powerless, even if it’s not PC to point it out.

Or you could just give up before it turns into.

You steal the cache.

Cache owner retaliates by letting and air out of your car tires when he finds you.

Which pisses you off so you run over the mailbox at his house.

To which he responds by throwing eggs all over your house.

Promptly causing you to throw a brick through his living room window.

Which makes him feel it necessary to put sugar in your gas tank.

Leaving you stranded on a geocaching trip, pissing you off so much while you walk home that you're wondering how much hit men cost or if you can get away with full blown arson.

Sometimes it's better to just stop.

so if i'm having a good day and i don't have a lot to say about the cache, i should feel free to write about that in the logs?

turns out that it's the PROCESS of looking for the caches that are the framework for the day and that's where the narrative goes.

what goes on along the way is just as relevant as if i saw ravens or smelled blueberries or if i fell on the path. it isn't about the gladware strictly, but it's what happened.

You're right, it is the process of finding the caches that make a good log, but, I think the process of finding the cache comes when you hit "Go To" on your GPS and you are out of the car actively searching. I don't think I would want a long narrative about why you were so grumpy and that things haven't been going right for you. I agree with whoever previously stated that you should blog about these things. The other logs that were deleted weren't so bad except for the Canada ones. I had the feeling you desperately wanted one of the cache owners to talk to you and say "What's wrong?" It's like you had to weave your story through a myriad of cache logs. I had trouble discerning whether or not you actually cached that day as well.

Here is an example of a bad logging the process, "I can't believe I got drug out to do some caching today. I was in a terrible mood, and I complained about everything because it all just sucks so much. I was even bothered that my cache partner spotted it before me, though my heart was not even in it to begin with."

Here is an example of a good logging the process, "Once we got on the right road (looks like we need an updated map, lol), we got out of the car and started searching. I looked with dread up the bank where the arrow was pointing . . . No it can't be! I 'summoned my inner mountain goat' (SSPG), and climbed up through the mud and leaves and, after searching a little longer, found it!" I took this, left that, signed the log book and put the cache back safely in it's hiding spot. Then I slid (fell) down the bank, and we headed off on another adventure!"

Maybe we need to ask Groundspeak about the possibility of adding geocaching blog that you can add a link to in your profile, and I feel that is the more appropriate place to leave your feelings for the days and really talk about yourself.

Most often, it is discovered in these threads that the cacher was jerky in his post, thereby peaving the cache owner and resulting in a deleted log. The 'solution' to this is not to stop cache owners from deleting logs. Rather it is for cachers to be more diplomatic in their logs (or learn to suffer the consequences without whining about it).

Some people tend to forget that the cache was a gift to the community. Returning that gift with snarkiness doesn't seem like a very smart tactic. It comes as a bit of a surprise when people insist on 'calling it as they see it', but aren't willing to live with the result of their snark.

Edited by sbell111

Or you could just give up before it turns into.

You steal the cache.

Cache owner retaliates by letting and air out of your car tires when he finds you.

Which pisses you off so you run over the mailbox at his house.

To which he responds by throwing eggs all over your house.

Promptly causing you to throw a brick through his living room window.

Which makes him feel it necessary to put sugar in your gas tank.

Leaving you stranded on a geocaching trip, pissing you off so much while you walk home that you're wondering how much hit men cost or if you can get away with full blown arson.

Sometimes it's better to just stop.

Hear, Here! ( :yikes: )

I think I'm entitled to my opinion but the owner also feels entitled to delete my opinion. Now I voice my opinion and also note that the owner keeps deleting my posts. Thoughts anyone?

You're right, you are entitled to your opinion. No doubt about that. For better or worse, the cache owner has the final say over which logs stay on the cache page and which logs get deleted. You can keep going back and forth all you want, but you'll never win. The only way to win is to not play in the first place -- sort of like nuclear war. ("Wargames", anyone? Those under a certain age can ask their parents about the reference!)

Ask yourself what your motivation for continuing is. If you wanted to provide open and honest feedback to the cache owner about this cache you have already done it. Log it as "Found it" and move on.

Your solutions are so boring!

1-Slap the owner across the face with a glove.

2-Throw afformentioned glove on the ground.

3-Owner picks up the glove and returns slap.

4- Duel at dawn. Just like the good old day 'cept this time you can film it and put it on YouTube!