just getting my backpack put together.

Bmxer11

so far i have a pda,phone,pens,paper,batteries,matches,toilet paper,first aid kit,water,snacks,warm hat,jacket,flashlight,tape,shoelaces,bug repellant,and sunscreen.any thing im missing

Ziploc baggies (various sizes), shopping bags for CITO (they fit into Kinder eggs or 35 m film canisters), tweezers, multi tool, work gloves (high dex), rubber gloves (for CITO or other ickyness you encounter), magnetic compass, lucky charm.

Edited by Waazdag

I bring my own GC logbook that I can record notes about the cache, the contents and what I traded, anything that you may want to remember later...

I have had a hell of a time remembering what I left where after several cache finds in a day. One time I logged a Tb into the wrong cache ...

Also I bring new log books incase one is full and a pencil sharpener to sharpen pencils already in a cache...

This was a while ago. Since then I've replaced the Palm with a Mio P550 and my wife has a Colorado. But essentially we take the same amount of kit with us!

Awesome picture. The first time I read the text, I thought it said this:
This was a while ago. Since then I've replaced the Palm with a Mio P550 and my wife has with a Colorado. But essentially we take the same amount of kit with us!
Excellent Trade!

Also, the first poster didn't mention a towel. Never leave home without a towel; just ask Ford Prefect. For caching, you can use it to wipe off sweat, dry off any sensitive equipment after dropping it in a creek, dry yourself off after getting caught in a storm, use it as a semi-effective way to keep bottled water cool in your pack, and as a seat cushion while sitting to sign the log.

Edit: darn speeling bug...

Edited by J-Way

so far i have a pda,phone,pens,paper,batteries,matches,toilet paper,first aid kit,water,snacks,warm hat,jacket,flashlight,tape,shoelaces,bug repellant,and sunscreen.any thing im missing

I havent been caching for very long , but in my experience you will also need chapstick, a pair of gators (if you cache in the mountains they go around the bottom of your pantleg and shoe to keep stickers and foxtails out of your socks), instead of a note book and pen, i carry a small voice recorder, much more efficient, and a vehicle place card for your car, again if you cache in the mountains... you can download and print it for free here..

http://geocacher-u.com/content/blogcategory/69/90/

Personally I very much dislike carrying stuff I won't use or don't need. What you need to bring varies greatly with where you are going to cache. If I go to city/county park and see from its size that I won't much more than a mile round trip hike, I won't need very much. It's summer time in central Illinois, so don't need warm hat or jacket. I do take extra batteries, wide brim hat to keep sun off my face, walking stick to poke around (don't want to come across some critter that might take exception to my hand poking around in its living room), bug repellent, and some water in the car. If I remember not to leave it in the car, a cell phone.

There's a state park near herewith several caches. We found six of them one Saturday and walked maybe six miles. In this park one is never more than a half mile or so from a paved road or a full mile or so from a state or county highway, so one doesn't really need much survival gear there. I did carry water and my cell phone plus items mentioned above. Of course dress appropriately for the weather.

Obviously, if you are going to go in some wilderness area with the possibility that you might get stuck over night, then, of course, you need a lot more items, as mentioned in previous posts. My point is, bring what the circumstances might require. Be knowledgeable of where you are going. I also would suggest don't try a wilderness trek if you don't have previous experience.

BTW, mark the location of your car on your GPS.

Well after reading the posts in the "scariest caching experiences" thread I printed off a bit of info about geocaching so in the event someone (cop or otherwise) freaks out over what I'm doing I have something that explains it as I will, no doubt, stand there babbling and be utterly speechless. B)

Oh yeah, I also leave a note for my DH if I'm going out alone and let them know which cache #s I'm working on so they know where to start looking for my body when I don't come home. I'm a cop's kid so I think of bad things sometimes. Can't be too careful.

Edited by Buggheart

In the past I just carried my GPS and cell phone. Recently, I added a small flashlight for peeking into those dark areas and multitool for prying open rusted or otherwise "icky" caches. I usually pick up a nice walking stick along the way for poking and prodding. I am thinking of adding some gloves and I keep bug spray in the car.

I carry a backpack with my GPS, a pen, a mechanical pencil, a sharpie, bear bell, fruit leather, bug spray, chapstick, iPod, headphones, cellphone, pocket knife, headlamp, a small notebook, and poo bags.

It covers just about everything I need for up to a 5 mile hike. Anything more than that, and I'll probably add in some water for me and the dog, a first aid kit, and maybe a few other things that should help me negotiate that particular area.

I have two geocaching bags - one for around town and a backpack for hiking.

Both bags have the following in common: gps, iPod (GSAK), camera, cell phone, Gerber multi tool (love it!), compass, lip balm, extra batteries, sunglasses, TB's, a few trade items, and pens.

The backpack contains a lot of trade items, matches, emergency blanket, water, snacks, dog treats, first aid kit, hat, water proof jacket, bug spray (even though I apply skin so soft before leaving), sunscreen, rubber gloves, toilet paper, cito and dog bags, and germex.

I love my 2 bags so much, and searched a long time for the perfect backpack, here is the link to the backpack:

http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/lily_re...?modelid=111478