Interesting wording...

Rev Mike

I just noticed a few earthcaches approved with the following wording at the bottom of the page:

Logs with no photo of the actual cacher logging the find or failure to answer questions or negative comments will result in a log deletion without notice. If your picture is not ready then wait until you have a photo.

Sounds like someone can't take any criticism.

Surprised that this got listed with this wording.

Even if you fill all the requirements your log can be deleted if the owner does not like what you have to say?

Thoughts anyone...

- Rev Mike

Wow, a real control freak it sounds like to me!

I wonder if Geoaware hangs out in the reviewer forum? Our cache reviewers here in Michigan take a dim view on limiting comments for anything but foul language. If it had been any cache other than an earthcache they would have made the hider change it to a "mystery cache" because of the additional logging requirement! That gets most hiders to drop that requirement.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

But to get back to the OPs question -

Yes, the hider of the cache can delete your log for any reason they want to. They are in total control of what goes on with logging their cache online.

Deane

Sounds like an EC I personally would stay away from.

I get enough "petty ..." when I'm at the office and I don't need it here.

This person actually has nine earthcaches seven of which have that wording.

Just seems odd to me.

You could tell me that my cache was the worst ever in a log on one of my caches and provided you fufilled the requirements I would not delete the log.

Sounds like they just want to control the tone of what is on the page.

- Rev Mike

But to get back to the OPs question -

Yes, the hider of the cache can delete your log for any reason they want to. They are in total control of what goes on with logging their cache online.

Deane

I actually did know that and I was not really asking but I just realized that my post read that way.

I was more or less just stating how foolish of a practice that is.

Hey Folks!

There is a reason for that wording, and I will not discuss the reason in these forums, but rest assured it was for a log that was very unpleasant and considered obsence.

Rev Mike, You could of emailed me and asked me or the person who owns those ECs instead of starting this thread :wub: .

I just noticed a few earthcaches approved with the following wording at the bottom of the page:

Logs with no photo of the actual cacher logging the find or failure to answer questions or negative comments will result in a log deletion without notice. If your picture is not ready then wait until you have a photo.

Sounds like someone can't take any criticism.

Surprised that this got listed with this wording.

Even if you fill all the requirements your log can be deleted if the owner does not like what you have to say?

Thoughts anyone...

- Rev Mike

Edited by Cav Scout

Hey Folks!

There is a reason for that wording, and I will not discuss the reason in these forums, but rest assured it was for a log that was very unpleasant and considered obsence.

Rev Mike, You could of emailed me and asked me or the person who owns those ECs instead of starting this thread :wub: .

For starters I just posted this as a topic for discussion not to bash that cacher or anything of that sort.

I did not mention a name or anything else that would identify the owner of those listings. While I understand the need to delete an obscene log on an individual basis I do not interperate that as "negative comments." It sounds to me (the way it is worded) like my log would be deleted if I were to say something like this:

Very unhappy with the lack of trailhead information on the page. This lead to a very terrible experience when Jimmy fell down the ravine.

I am also not sure why I would have asked you about it... do you have some connection to this other cacher that is common knowledge to everyone but me?

Thoughts anyone...

I don't think they meant any negative comments, just the ones. As they should.

But it probably could be said better. How would you word it?

I agree with the deletion of blatantly inappropriate comments.

I don't think I would word it at all.

I would also hope that it happens infrequently enough that it could be left unsaid.

From reading Cav Scout's post it sounds like it may have been brought on by a personal attack on a cache page or something else like that that should have been deleted.

Just struck me as really strange seeing something like that on a cache listing.

- Rev Mike

Content is developed prior to publication. Upon publication the content can be changed. I wonder if a cache owner adds some of the logging requirements post publication?

Without understanding the owners reason for including the statements about negative comments, I don't want to pass total judgment. I would probably say very little about the cache site: answers sent.

Feels like a sensorship, say what I want, not what you think.

I had a poor experience with a note on one of my cache pages. I brought it up in the forums and after discussion, I changed the cache description to address the root of the note and deleted the note because of its unsubstantiated personal attack.

Unfortunately, there are those people out there. But they can be delt with without flaunting it to every visitor to a cache. I think it is a resonable unsaid understanding for any cache that inappropriate logs will be deleted without any notice. Resonable criticisms of a cache should be left out of respect for other cacher's opinions and used to improve that cache and future placements.

I'll side with the Cache owner on this one.

The owner has every right to delete logs that don't fullfill the requirements. The owner out in a little work to try to take you somewhere you might find interesting, is it so much to ask that you fullfill the requirements.

As for negative logs don't get me started. They are not necessary.

Control freak? I don't think so.

Runfrog :)

Oh, dear. I shall have to watch what I post if the future. :huh: Hey! What's 200' off in the listed coordinates anyway?

As has been noted, Geocaching allows considerable leeway for the cache owner to delete logs, and Earth Caches are listed on Geocaching. Though that does seem to be an ALR, which would change it to a Mystery/Unknown cache type. If the cache owner requires you to log the find in a haiku, that is within the cache owner's prerogatives. (As an example.)

The earth cache that I'm planning (and yes, it's still in the planning stage. One more site to visit. Permission to be obtained. Don't hold your breath waiting.) will probably receive some negative comments. I can deal with that!

I have never listed it on a cache page, and never had to deal with it, but if someone posts an obscene or profane comment on a log, I would delete it immediately.