Is Signal male or female?

Well since it is such a serious problem we need a serious answer.

http://cgee.hamline.edu/frogs/science/faq1.html

4. How do I tell the sex of my frog or toad?

Sexing frogs depends on the species. There are a number of tropical species that are dimorphic in regards to color, with the males being more colorful than females. In Minnesota, Bullfrogs and Green Frog males have larger eardrums than females. In some species males will have enlarged thumbs. Most good field guides will provide descriptions of the differences.

Under certain conditions, some frogs can change their sex! Check it out:

http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99128.htm

I suspect Signal has been changing sex...

Edited by OzzieSan

Well since it is such a serious problem we need a serious answer.

http://cgee.hamline.edu/frogs/science/faq1.html

4. How do I tell the sex of my frog or toad?

Sexing frogs depends on the species. There are a number of tropical species that are dimorphic in regards to color, with the males being more colorful than females. In Minnesota, Bullfrogs and Green Frog males have larger eardrums than females. In some species males will have enlarged thumbs. Most good field guides will provide descriptions of the differences.

Under certain conditions, some frogs can change their sex! Check it out:

http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99128.htm

I suspect Signal has been changing sex...

Which explains the troubled past. :wub:

Urk! You have asked a very embarrassing question! Due to a court order and some related legal actions which ultimately cost me tons of time and money, and also almost got me killed by West Coast hitmen, I must put the following very delicately and must keep it all very vague and imprecise, but here goes with what some believe to have been the sordid truth:

Signal the Frog apparently started life, and also their stint as the mascot at Groundspeak, as a frog of one (but unmentioned) sex. Then, at one point, an unnamed volunteer reviewer began providing Signal with a very nasty and addictive substance that I will simply reference vaguely and obliquely as Chemical X (a substance banned for Olympic contestants) and there were also some rumors of some kind of a possibly abusive relationship with the pusher in question, in addition to the chemical dependency, and some have spoken of midnight meetings in sleazy cheap motels on lonely highways near Seattle and Pittsburgh.

Further, some have claimed that Signal also eventually started moonlighting at night at a dancer (with Mob connections) at a mob-connected bar in Seattle, and some have gone further and hinted that Signal, during this most troubled time in his/her life, may even have become a part-time hitman for the mob (with the hits arranged, of course, through her/his evening job), although many will say that nothing was proven. Then, at some point, it has been said by some that Signal was so traumatized and shocked by the aforementioned putative substance abuse and by the rumored putative relationship with the reviewer that must not be named (and also perhaps by the moonlighting career path of working as a part-time hitman for the mob) that Signal reportedly decided, after years of intensive psychotherapy and frogotherapy, to undergo a sex change -- which, you must bear in mind, is not a particularly drastic nor unusual thing in the frog world, but which still caused some gossip. Oh, and Signal also reportedly gave up the evening dancing career and also the hits for the mob. There have also been rumors that have surfaced from time to time that Signal may still be hooked on Chemical X, or worse, on a related substance -- also banned at the Olympics -- known as Chemical Y.

Unfortunately, my having shared the above tale is almost a guarantee that this thread will first be locked, and will then all traces of it will disappear in short order from the forum, with no record remaining of its existence, that black helicopters will be seen late at night by many ranchers and hikers in remote areas of the Rocky Mountain states for the next six days, and that I will mysteriously disappear forever from the face of the earth within the next five days.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I may be wrong about this one, but I thought I would throw this out there for you to ponder on your own time.

I have the joy of claiming my generations "good ol days" to be right around the time of the Jurassic Park era. If I can remember right, the set up from the first movie to the second movie was that the scientist filled in the missing dino dna with the similar frog (amphibion) dna. Now, because frog's have the ability to change sexes the dino's were able to reproduce thus spurring on the ever popular movie series onward towards the next installment.

Now, I know signal has that ball on his (or her) head, so maybe signal isn't a frog at all! That adaptation leads me to belive that maybe signal is a frog dino hybrid, and the fearless leaders at Groundspeak are operating a well thought out cover up of their new and improved "frog".

just some food for thought

Edited by downtherabbithole

I would suspect, because of Signal's preponsity to continually jumping off of hard objects being inserted in his/her nether regions, that Signal may just be a male. It seems that every one of those metal objects were very carefully inserted with love and concern, but Signal has managed to elude the constant probing on more than a few occasions. :wub::wub::wub::wub:

I was going to do a knee jerk reaction test at the recently held MWGB. I think it's a good thing for all concerned that it never came to pass... :yikes: There was some discussion of this topic around the campfires- it came down to either Signal was a hermaphrodite or asexual. I can't remember which one won out in the end. It is a mystery which may never be solved. :P

I asked, but Pat isn't sure either:

sweeney_pat.jpg

Edited by Corp Of Discovery