New Garmin Vista Hcx Software 2.70

just checked...my vista hcx bought last september has Bravo2 Chipset and I did experience the drift quite a bit until I downgraded again to 2.30 GPS-FW.

PS: Idea? Perhaps as its a unified FW it doesnt really work well for all types of chipsets, thats why an older GPS-FW works better for the older GPS-Chip?

Edited by RaF MUC

I have Bravo Version 2, and i am the owner of this picture

MediaTek.jpg

After a specific firmwareupdate the unit does no longer show the MediaTek-text during booting

Therefore MEDIATEK = BRAVO 2

I don't think so. Hold down the click stick when you boot and see what it says on the diagnostic screen that comes up. Bravo is a Garmin chip-Mediatek is a -well- Mediatek chip.

I don't think so. Hold down the click stick when you boot and see what it says on the diagnostic screen that comes up. Bravo is a Garmin chip-Mediatek is a -well- Mediatek chip.

Why do you think Bravo is a Garmin Chip set? All three of my functioning gps units show some version of Bravo on the diagnostic page and the 76CSx is a SirFStar III chip.

Hi just checked my unit it came with bravo version. I have a test screen by holding down the togle enter button while powering up. It has a readout OF SOFTWARE VERSION 2.70 ,BRAVO VERSION 2, TIME,TEMPERATUERE,FREQUENCY,XO DRIFT,SIGNAL,SNR,VOLTAGE,BACKLIGHT, COMPASS HEADING,ALTTITUDE, , and bravo,rom,ram and bmap test that let you no if it pass or fail. lets you check that all your buttons are working plus does some color test. I would upload a picture can not find the upload window

screen.bmp.jpg

This is weird. I can't get to that screen at all on my Vista HCx. On the startup screen there is NO mention of Mediatek or Bravo. I'm completely missing that line "Copyright MediaTek 2007".

I haven't seen the drift issue everybody is talking about.

I can get to a quasi diagnostic screen from the trip computer page by cycling the click stick to N, E, S and W.

I purchased my Vista HCX in Feb 2008, and have never noticed the severe drift problem. I am running 2.7/2.6, on the test screen it shows Bravo Version 2. I have added a couple of pictures of my two start up screens, which I have not seen posted before. These could be used for comparisons between units.

S1-1.jpg

S2-1.jpg

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

I had a hard time getting to the diagnostic screen. Hold the toggle down in the center, don't push up or down and then keep holding it when turn the power button on. When done correctly it went to the diagnostic screen directly very quickly.

I purchased my GPS back in Feb 2008, though I do not know the actual manufacture date.

Why do you think Bravo is a Garmin Chip set? All three of my functioning gps units show some version of Bravo on the diagnostic page and the 76CSx is a SirFStar III chip.

Garmin is never very forthcoming with what is in their GPS units, but if you read other forums you will see comparisons of performance between the Mediatek and Bravo chipsets is the same model GPS units. For instance:

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4061

Also check out the forums at gpspassion.com

I just bought 2 more of the legend hcx units. I received them today. Both come with 2.40. Both are Bravo 2. I tested them against my legend hcx I bought about a month ago and they all ran for 6 hours while I was at work, I came home all 3 show the same estimated error of the satellites as 10 feet, all 3 units now have ibycus running on them and all three for 6 hours show my position correctly (I took each units coordinates and put them into google earth). All 3 units show right inside of my house. So far, I see no problem out of any of them. The month old unit is used frequently in the boat, and on the katy trail and has yet to ever show me off of the path on the map. Possibly I am measuring "drift" incorrectly but I just do not see it.

I forgot to ask -- which cannot be downgraded...the units firmware or its unit software? Also, where can I find the downgrade file for the legend hcx? I have read others talking about it but never knew where to find this info.

Edited by Kyle_freemason

I have Bravo Version 2, and i am the owner of this picture

MediaTek.jpg

After a specific firmwareupdate the unit does no longer show the MediaTek-text during booting

Therefore MEDIATEK = BRAVO 2

Yes, it turns out that this spash screen must have been taken on a unit with a pre 069401000240.rgn file (v2.4). This was taken by some on the internet as proof that the unit had a MediaTek chip in it. As of v2.4, this text is not in the file. This does not mean that there is a MediaTek chip inside the unit or not, just that there was a line in the software copywrite that says MediaTek, most likely as there is some code owned by them in that file. There is also a line that says "eTrex Venture HCx", that is still in the v2.7 069401000270.rgn file and I've never head of that unit having a drift problem, or even existing as it were. I image that opening up a unit would provide a chance to verify the components.

I have a Vista HcX, upgraded Yesterday to 2.70/2.60.

Diagnostic screen says Bravo 2

Not checked yet what is (or no longer) on the splash screen (like above).

I have experienced many times drift issue with 2.60/2.60

Drift issue not tested yet with 2.70/2.60

My conclusion so far is that having "bravo" in the diag screen is not a warranty to not have drift issue with 2.60/2.60

Edited by TransFXB

I'm curious about an answer to westernPaBilly's question (post #45). Is that what is being described as drift?

This is drift: (rightclick and open link if picture is too small)

driftif8.th.png

at 1: position still correct

at II: position II is indicated while I am actually was at III (drift of 200meters)

at IIII: apparatus off and on again, while I actually was at IIIII; new and correct position indicated is IIIII

So, within a couple of hundred meters (between I and II) a drift occurred of 200 meters. It was only corrected with a power off/on cycle!

Edited by gerpo

Some thoughts....

Please keep in mind that a an eTrex Hcx unit has to versions.

For instance, very last ones for eTrex Vista Hcx are 2.70/2.60

This is what you can see by going Main Menu/Settings/System and pressing lower lest button and then Software Version. The you have:

1) Software version (2.70 for instance)

2) GPS software version (2.60 for instance)

Conclusion there is that we have two different things:

1) a software that handles GUI, plotting, odometer calculations, and so on, which is in this example at version 2.70

2) a software (firmware) that handles GPS chipset it self, which in this example at version 2.60

In the following, I ONLY refer to GPS software version, which is GPS chipset related (AKA firmware).

Googling a bit Today, I found this:

Google "type B gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3621 - version 2.30

Google "type M gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3733 - version 2.60

Google "type M2 gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3735 - version 2.60

Google "type G gps" -> no direction to Garmin Website, but to a resellor indicating that GPSMAP 60Cx, 60Cs and 76Csx are concerned

By deduction (hmmm...), we probably can guess the following:

eTrex Vista Hcx is probably not a type B (last shown version on Garmin is 2.30 and we know that last eTrex Hcx firmware version is 2.60)

eTrex Vista Hcx is probably not type G which seems to concern GPSMAP60 series.

eTrex Vista Hcx is most likely type M or M2 (2.60 versions proposed at garmin pages (above links) corresponds to what we actually have in our eTrex Vista Hcx

Now, we can guess what is behind B, M, M2 and G letters:

- M and M2 are likely to design Mediatek (MTK) chipsets

- G is likely to design Sirf chipsets

- B could design Bravo chipsets (and/or a specific Garmin software layer between GPS chipset and GUI).

Being there, we can understand why GPSMAP60 serie (type G) is not experiencing drift issue, if we suppose that this drift issue is only to Mediatek (M and M2 types).

This is also the case of old eTrex units (Legend, Vista, ...) which don't have a Mediatek chipset.

Any other unit (other than eTrex) having a drift issue is likely to also have a Type M or M2 GPS chipset.

I am not knowledgeable enough about Garmin product range, but does anybody know if it is the case?

My conclusion so far, is that last software version (2.70) won't solve drift issue as it is only an evolution of the GUI, odometer calculation (and so on).

From my prospective, only an update of firmware (from 2.60 to ???) could solve this issue.

What do you think???

(Sorry for this very long post, but I wanted to give as much background as possible).

Edited by TransFXB

- B could design Bravo chipsets (and/or a specific Garmin software layer between GPS chipset and GUI).

Being there, we can understand why GPSMAP60 serie (type G) is not experiencing drift issue, if we suppose that this drift issue is only to Mediatek (M and M2 types).

This is also the case of old eTrex units (Legend, Vista, ...) which don't have a Mediatek chipset.

Any other unit (other than eTrex) having a drift issue is likely to also have a Type M or M2 GPS chipset.

I am not knowledgeable enough about Garmin product range, but does anybody know if it is the case?

My conclusion so far, is that last software version (2.70) won't solve drift issue as it is only an evolution of the GUI, odometer calculation (and so on).

From my prospective, only an update of firmware (from 2.60 to ???) could solve this issue.

To the best of my knowledge, the Colorado also uses a Mediatek chipset, as do low end Nuvi's (2x0).

The Oregon use the STM Cartesio as do the Nuvi 2x5's and 5x0's.

Since the Colorado also has random large drift problems, Mediatek is a likely culprit.

Some thoughts....

Please keep in mind that a an eTrex Hcx unit has to versions.

For instance, very last ones for eTrex Vista Hcx are 2.70/2.60

This is what you can see by going Main Menu/Settings/System and pressing lower lest button and then Software Version. The you have:

1) Software version (2.70 for instance)

2) GPS software version (2.60 for instance)

Conclusion there is that we have two different things:

1) a software that handles GUI, plotting, odometer calculations, and so on, which is in this example at version 2.70

2) a software (firmware) that handles GPS chipset it self, which in this example at version 2.60

In the following, I ONLY refer to GPS software version, which is GPS chipset related (AKA firmware).

Googling a bit Today, I found this:

Google "type B gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3621 - version 2.30

Google "type M gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3733 - version 2.60

Google "type M2 gps" -> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3735 - version 2.60

Google "type G gps" -> no direction to Garmin Website, but to a resellor indicating that GPSMAP 60Cx, 60Cs and 76Csx are concerned

By deduction (hmmm...), we probably can guess the following:

eTrex Vista Hcx is probably not a type B (last shown version on Garmin is 2.30 and we know that last eTrex Hcx firmware version is 2.60)

eTrex Vista Hcx is probably not type G which seems to concern GPSMAP60 series.

eTrex Vista Hcx is most likely type M or M2 (2.60 versions proposed at garmin pages (above links) corresponds to what we actually have in our eTrex Vista Hcx

What do you think???

(Sorry for this very long post, but I wanted to give as much background as possible).

This has been discussed elsewhere in more detail.

From the GPS passions website we have(http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107346):

Garmin has code names for thme :

- Type B Bravo??

- Type M : Garmin MTK or Bravo??

- Type M2 : MTK

- Type G : SiRFstarIII

The question is, how do you tell what is in your GPS given that Garmin does its best to hide it? For the Nuvi they have discovered ways. I don't know how for the Etrex.

Edited by MacFlash

Is it possible that all Etrex have the Bravo chipset, since all I've seen is Bravo 2 under the listings people have put here, and the Meditek copyright on the start up is just a red herring?

Sure makes ya' wonder... They removed the MediaTek from the copyright in the startup splash screen as of Unit Software Version v2.40 I've never seen any real proof the there is a MediaTek chip in any HCx unit.

Edited by coggins

First hike today w/ my Vista HCx & 2.70/2.60 loaded. Not a happy camper to say the least. Accuracy was typically 45 - 120 feet! Tried to locate a geocache in the woods that we had previously found easily w/ my old Venture HC. When we finally found it accuracy was +-45 feet and distance to the cache was 125 feet. I remember the Legend was at about 4 feet at the cache. dadgum - why did I get rid of that thing (duh... for the compass!). Lots of good that does when you're 125 feet off.

I did eventually power cycle the unit at it went to 15 - 25 feet accuracy. For the entire first 90 minutes it was way off though. I'd like to give Garmin a healthy dose of crap this week.

Edited by Blindmantoo

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding my unit(s) software. I have two Legend HCX units. Both are brand new.

One Unit has software 2.60/2.30 (I upgraded it from its original 2.40 to 2.60), the other has 2.40/2.40. I am trying to gain accuracy when going back to a waypoint. My question is, which software was more accurate 2.40, 2.50, 2.60 or 2.70? If it were 2.40 I would downgrade the 2.60 so it would be 2.40/2.30 and leave the 2.40/2.40 unit as is. I am willing to sacrafice the odometer for accuracy. What would you guys suggest?

** I downgraded the 2.60 software to 2.40/2.30 and left the other unit with 2.40/2.40. The unit with 2.40/2.30 in goto mode does better in regards to the "distance to destination" accuracy whereas the unit with 2.40/2.40 jumps wildly in the distance to destination figure. Seems that I have better luck with the accuracy of the unit with the firmware of 2.30.

Edited by Kyle_freemason

Hi Jackrob...is the 2.60 your software or the gps firmware version? I had 2.60 and could not get any closer than 25 feet from any geocache -- I noticed this was declined accuracy from when I had 2.40. I downgraded to 2.40 and now I get within 4-10 feet of the geocache. Hopefully, 2.80 will fix this issue so I do not have to sacrafice the performance of the gps tracks for position accuracy.

Several days ago I installed 2.70 on my Vista Hcx, Bravo 2, purchased Sept. 2007, and have had a chance to test the unit.

My test consisted of walking back and forth on a one mile section of paved bike path with measured one mile markers. I repeated the section 12 times for a total of 12 miles.

The Trip Computer odometer reading was accurate to better then 1%. That is, as good or better then the 0.01 resolution of the odometer read-out. The Moving Time/Stopped ratio, which with the pre-2.60 software was sometimes up to 30% wrong, was excellent. For example, walking continuously for a total time of ca. 1.5 hours, with no stops, the stopped time was only three or four seconds.

As far as the drift problem is concerned, I've included an image of a portion of eight of the repeated one mile tracks. These are typical of the total of 12 miles I walked for this test.

Using Ver. 2.60 on the same route I would periodically see the track drift up to several hundred feet. Using 2.70 the maximum distance between two tracks was at the most about 60 feet (18m). More typically, the tracks were within the ca. +/- 16ft. average "Location" error shown on the satellite page.

Garmin-2.70-Test-Tracks-c.jpg

Don

Edited by DonpK
My test consisted of walking back and forth on a one mile section of paved bike path with measured one mile markers. I repeated the section 12 times for a total of 12 miles.

Add some terrain and a little more overhead cover, both of which would restrict the view of the sky, and variable terrain sufficient to to periodically slow your pace and I'm guessing that both the trip computer and the track log would have a lot more error in them.

Add some terrain and a little more overhead cover, both of which would restrict the view of the sky, and variable terrain sufficient to to periodically slow your pace and I'm guessing that both the trip computer and the track log would have a lot more error in them.

The bug is not that there is never error, but that once error occurs because of poor reception, it never recovers but seems to grow even when reception improves.I think if you are going to do some mild test like this, cover the gps with you hand for a few minutes and then remove it to see what happens.

...cover the gps with you hand for a few minutes and then remove it to see what happens.

In fact, I did cover the GPSr with my hand a number of times during my tests. In addition, there is a fair amount of complete tree cover along the path.

Covering the antenna portion of the GPSr had no noticeable effect on the track accuracy. Over the course of a minute or so, I could see the "Location" error increase by a quarter to a third, but the track did not change as a result of the reduced signal strength. And as I said above, the Trip Computer remained solid as well.

When I encountered the drift problem in the past, it certainly didn't occur every time I went for a half hour walk, but my sense is that I would have seen it at some point during the my 12 mile, four hour test. If fact, with 2.60 I did see sudden drift of 150ft. or more on the same path.

I'll certainly report back if the drift problem we've been discussed rears its ugly head again.

Don

I just tested my two units and both running 2.40 show a trail I walked a total of 8 times.

During the walk each unit maintained epe of 13 feet. I then uploaded the track logs to gpsvisualizer and then to a kml file.

When measured on google earth the total distance was .24 mi. One of my units show the distance as .23 and the other .25. I then measured using google earth the furthest points of my track to see how far the span was from one track to the other.

The largest "drift" from one track to the furthest track opposite it was 14 feet. So far, for what it is worth I am happy with 2.40.

I realize the unit was not on for a long extended period of time, however, just being a quick test I am satisfied. With 2.60 and the same test I showed a drift from furthest points as being 52 feet...

What kind of results are you guys getting?

Edited by Kyle_freemason

Is it possible that all Etrex have the Bravo chipset, since all I've seen is Bravo 2 under the listings people have put here, and the Meditek copyright on the start up is just a red herring?

Sure makes ya' wonder... They removed the MediaTek from the copyright in the startup splash screen as of Unit Software Version v2.40 I've never seen any real proof the there is a MediaTek chip in any HCx unit.

Look at the firmware for both the GPS and the software for the unit with a hex viewer. "Mediatek" and "MTKGPS" are all over both along with chip ID numbers (it's Mediatek chip MT3318). The eTrex Vista/Legend HCx does have a Mediatek chipset. What I've not seen is any proof that "Bravo version" is anything other than Garmin's way of specifying a particular hardware revision. I've seen no picture of a chip labeled "Bravo" or any actual documentation anywhere that Bravo refers to a chip unlike with the Mediatek MT3318 chip in the eTrex Vista/Legend HCx.

Hi Jackrob...is the 2.60 your software or the gps firmware version? I had 2.60 and could not get any closer than 25 feet from any geocache -- I noticed this was declined accuracy from when I had 2.40. I downgraded to 2.40 and now I get within 4-10 feet of the geocache. Hopefully, 2.80 will fix this issue so I do not have to sacrafice the performance of the gps tracks for position accuracy.

Kyle, 2.60 firmware version that came installed on the unit. We're up to about 50 caches now and I would have to say that 25 ft would be unusual. I haven't "dropped a stake" and measured how far off it was, but I know on a couple of occasions I almost stepped on the caches, one a micro and the other an ammo can. Some luck for sure, but in all cases, we've been pretty close. I've also checked some benchmarks and been "right on" within reason, and then just for kicks I marked a few waypoints and put them in Google maps, clicked on "Street View" and sure enough looked at the spots I marked online.

I hope you have good luck with the new upgrades!

Edited by jackrob

Three days ago i hiked Snezka in Chech republic.

I recorded the track when going up and again when going down.

When i was going down i recorded 150m drift between the other track for about half an hour and then the drift corrected without power cycle.

Except this drift the rest of the tracks were identical.

I used version 2.70/2.30.

I also tested the unit back home with version 2.70/2.60. The drift was greater and the odometer was recording meters even when standing still....

So the update doesn't correct the problem.

I just don't know if the problem exists with all Vistas or just some defective units...

I bought the dadgum thing to upgrade from my Magellan sportrack and because here in Greece the maps are only Garmin compatible but now i have just regretted....

The only thing left to do is to return the unit back as defective hoping that they will change this piece of crap.

Edited by EFIALTIS

I went for a 3.5 hour hike today. I am running two units both upgraded to 2.70 (just before I left). One unit is running 2.70/2.30 the other is running 2.70/2.40.

The total distance was 3.2 miles along the katy trail path. The furthest drift was 17 feet. In most areas the track going in and coming out was no further than 9 feet (measured on google earth).

So far I have yet to see anything but marked improvement after upgrading from 2.40 on both units to 2.70. Both units showed correct distance within about 30 feet.

The units were left on from the time I left my home until I reached the trail by car 20 minutes later.

So far so good in terms of "drift."

I will continue running tests to see how my units do.

Also, along the way I located a cache and used the goto feature to take me to it. The cache was at the base of a tree and I followed the units bearing arrow on the compass right to the tree. When the unit said 0 feet to destination I was no more than 2 foot away. I thought this might just be luck so I tried another cache at the very end of the trail and it was hidden under a railroad track. When the unit said I was 0 feet from it I was actually about 5 feet from it. Results seem good enough to continue on with the 2.70 upgrade until another software comes out.

Kyle

Edited by Kyle_freemason

Fix system freeze issue.

Wonder if this is the freeze I get when I approch a cache in a car then stop when I'm close to it and when I get out of the car, the arrow if frozen, does not point to the cache anymore but the distance is still accurate.

This is very annoying, happen too much and I always have to power OFF/ON to solve this. Vista HCx with electronic compass ON.

Fix system freeze issue.

Wonder if this is the freeze I get when I approch a cache in a car then stop when I'm close to it and when I get out of the car, the arrow if frozen, does not point to the cache anymore but the distance is still accurate.

This is very annoying, happen too much and I always have to power OFF/ON to solve this. Vista HCx with electronic compass ON.

The "freezing arrow only" sounds like it's just the default 90 second setting before the electronic compass kicks in. I set mine down to 15 seconds so the arrow doesn't stay frozen for so long.

The "freezing arrow only" sounds like it's just the default 90 second setting before the electronic compass kicks in. I set mine down to 15 seconds so the arrow doesn't stay frozen for so long.
Ok so you are saying that when I stop moving fast, there is a delay before the electronic compass kicks in and that the GPSr is still using the other compass?

This could make sens but where can we set that delay because I never saw it and just checked again under system settings and compas settings.

Ok so you are saying that when I stop moving fast, there is a delay before the electronic compass kicks in and that the GPSr is still using the other compass?

This could make sens but where can we set that delay because I never saw it and just checked again under system settings and compas settings.

Try Main Menu->Setup->Heading, bottom half of the page.

I performed the update to 2.70 / 2.60 last week. On Saturday I went geocaching and the performance was terrible. Accuracy varied from 25 to 50 feet (or more) all afternoon on a perfectly clear day. I was not a happy camper as it was the worst performance since buying it last January.

Yesterday I did a hard reset (hold page button & joystick in while pressing the on button - pretty hard to successfuly accomplish while keeping the joystick centered). Went into the yard to let it download the satellite info and it was locked on in about two seconds (on a cold start)! On Saturday it had taken about a minute to lock on.

Today we went out caching w/ the grandkids. The performance was unbelieveable. The first cache was found while the Vista HCx said we were 5' away --- and the compass arrow was pointing right at it 5' away! OK, so I figured it was coincidence (accuracy was +- 12' at the time). Next find: It said we were 2' feet from the cache and again, it was pointing at a hidden cache that was exactly 2' in front of us.

Could be that this update really works after doing a hard reset. Time will tell. By the way, don't forget to reload your caches after doing the hard reset. I was minutes from leaving today when I discovered that they were gone.

Found this in another thread. Only a sample of one, but maybe he is onto something.