New Garmin Vista Hcx Software 2.70

Hi just found this on the Garmin Web Site.Will have to give it a try I guess.

eTrex Vista HCx software version 2.70

as of August 21, 2007

Download (2.03 MB)

View download instructions and system requirements

change History

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Improve distance calculation in odometer.

Fix system freeze issue.

Fix shutdown issue when browse detail map.

Correct user grid.

Disable route calculation icon when GPS is off.

Edited by bashspa59

I am actually for the first time scared to upgrade.... I think I will wait and see how it works for other people before I take the plunge. Anyone gave this update a try?

I updated and was anxious to give it a whirl today, but the weather was a bit too icky to take the little one out hiking. Hopefully tomorrow, if not, Saturday for sure. I've not had a decent day out with my gpsr for a long while and if Saturday's outing proves to be as lame as the last number of months I'm giving up and getting something else :wub:

I am actually for the first time scared to upgrade.... I think I will wait and see how it works for other people before I take the plunge. Anyone gave this update a try?

I updated my Legend HCx. Low speed display and compass seem a bit smoother- probably a little more averaging. Did not do a whole lot more since it was a work day. I have my doubts about the accuracy fix since the GPS chip firmware is still 2.6, but we shall see.

My first impression after a 4 km hike with Etrex Vista Hcx 2.70/2.60:

odometer reading seems correct (calculated track is same as odometer reading)

moved time /stopped time is bad. Unit says I stopped 8 minutes (should be 0 seconds)

drift... well the track seems to be not so accurate (you could call that drift), but it was always corrected automatically. I have deviations in the track of +/- 30 meters. (with 2.60/2.60 I had deviations of 200meters that did NOT correct automatically, only by off/on)

Edited by gerpo

My first impression after a 4 km hike with Etrex Vista Hcx 2.70/2.60:

odometer reading seems correct (calculated track is same as odometer reading)

moved time /stopped time is bad. Unit says I stopped 8 minutes (should be 0 seconds)

drift... well the track seems to be not so accurate (you could call that drift), but it was always corrected automatically. I have deviations in the track of +/- 30 meters.

This could just be from areas where reception was poor for whatever reason. It does not sound like the bug that people are describing. Unfortunately, it is impossible to prove it was fixed, only that we haven't seen it yet. Especially with no comment from Garmin acknowledging the fact that it even exists.

report for Etrex Vista HCX with 2.70/2.60 firmware:

distance 28km

walking speed 6km/h (average)

weather: partly clouded

terrain: flat with sometimes open terrain and sometimes forest with lots of leaves above me.

drifting:

At first I put the Etrex in my breast pocket, resulting in drifts (one of more than 100 meters).

Small position errors corrected automatically when I held the unit in my hand for a longer time, display facing upwards. The large one needed a off/on cycle.

After 5km I decided to keep the unit in my hand. No big position errors over a distance of 15km!

Last 8km I put the Etrex in my breast pocket again and again the drifting occurred. (50 meters max)

odometer:

the odometer seems more accurate now.

odometer reading 28.0km; calculated 28.5km; mapsource 28.6km

I do not know the influence of the off/on cycle, which corrected the position error of 200 meter.

I guess this adds 200m to the calculated track.

moving time/ stopped time:

4h39min moved, 5min39sec stopped time

As long as I keep the unit in my hand, the unit adds no seconds to stopped time during walking.

When the unit is in my breast pocket it sometimes adds a few seconds to stopped time during walking.

I guess the real stopped time should be +/-3 minutes

Summary:

-The odometer reading is much more accurate now

-moving time/stopped time is ok (at a speed of 6km/h)

-drifting still occurs when the unit is not held with display upwards; as a piece of clothing hardly shields

HF-signals, could the problem lie in the orientation of the Etrex antenna? the patch antenna of the Etrex is probably much more directional sensitive as i.e. the helix antenna of the GPSMAP 60 devices

Edited by gerpo

Updated mine as well, and the odometer is much improved ... from yesterdays short hike ...

Recorded length : 17.4 km

Track length (as reported by OziExplorer) : 17.32 km

I still reckon the reported "stopped time" is waaaay over estimated by a factor of x2 at least. It reported 1h16m of stopping time in 5h19m, total time when the only significant stop was a 20min lunch break (it was raining too much to stop for any significant time!) But then, every GPSr I've ever owned has over reported stopping time like this.

drifting:

At first I put the Etrex in my breast pocket, resulting in drifts (one of more than 100 meters).

Small position errors corrected automatically when I held the unit in my hand for a longer time, display facing upwards. The large one needed a off/on cycle.

After 5km I decided to keep the unit in my hand. No big position errors over a distance of 15km!

Last 8km I put the Etrex in my breast pocket again and again the drifting occurred. (50 meters max)

Summary:

-drifting still occurs when the unit is not held with display upwards; as a piece of clothing hardly shields

HF-signals, could the problem lie in the orientation of the Etrex antenna? the patch antenna of the Etrex is probably much more directional sensitive as i.e. the helix antenna of the GPSMAP 60 devices

It's not the cloth that shields the HF signals, it's your body, which is mostly water. Your body is excluding half of the available satellites. Put the GPS in a pocket on top of your hat and it'll work fine. Think of it as a GPS beanie hat. :)

It's not the cloth that shields the HF signals, it's your body, which is mostly water. Your body is excluding half of the available satellites. Put the GPS in a pocket on top of your hat and it'll work fine. Think of it as a GPS beanie hat. :)

But it's also a software / firmware issue on the Vista HCx (and presumably the Colorado / Oregon etc), because on older versions of the software on the Vista HCx, you could maintain a really good position lock with the unit in a shirt pocket or in a backpack, and I STILL can with my Summit HC, which does not seem to be affected by this problem.

drifting:

Summary:

I understand that my body shields half of the number of satellites, but that would leave at least five of them, which should suffice for a good position fix. Also, when I keep the unit in my hand, it is still very close to my body and therefore the blocking effect will not be so very different!

I understand that my body shields half of the number of satellites, but that would leave at least five of them, which should suffice for a good position fix.

Your post was fixated on the fabric, no mention of your body. Obviously five is not enough or you wouldn't of had the drifting.

Also, when I keep the unit in my hand, it is still very close to my body and therefore the blocking effect will not be so very different!
Your hand is 2-ft from your body when extended, then your body would block at most one or two satellites, if any.
Your hand is 2-ft from your body when extended, then your body would block at most one or two satellites, if any.

When I am walking, my arm is in a normal position. Anyone walking with extended arms facing forward? B)

So the distance between body and Etrex will be around 1/2 foot.

I understand that my body shields half of the number of satellites, but that would leave at least five of them, which should suffice for a good position fix.

Your post was fixated on the fabric, no mention of your body. Obviously five is not enough or you wouldn't of had the drifting.

MtnHermit,

I don't think the problem of "drifting" as seen on some later-model Garmins is this simple - users report serious drift errors (hundreds of metres in some cases) in circumstances where satellite viewing conditions are less than optimal, but where it SHOULD be possible to get a decent-quality fix, and specifically, where the same units USED to be able to get a good fix but with later software / firmware, they now exhibit "drift", while other models (Garmins and other brands) are still able to get a good quality fix.

I don't think a few limited observations with the new software are enough data to enable us to conclude that "five satellites is not enough". For example, my Summit HC will give a good 3D fix with 5 satellites (as long as they are not too closely clustered in the sky), and when my reception DOES become very poor for whatever reason, the EPE goes up as expected, but the unit doesn't exhibit "drift" of hundreds of metres, and I don't need to power down and back on to correct the accuracy. As soon as I get to a location with good satellite visibility, the unit will automatically improve its accuracy - as it should.

I understand that when I keep my unit in a pocket or in my backpack, the accuracy will be slightly less than it could be - but as soon as I take it out and hold it face-up to the sky, the EPE drops, but in general, my position doesn't "drift" back to my true position - not more than a couple of meters, anyhow, which is really just the improved accuracy that I get with a better sky-view. This is the "expected" behaviour, and Garmin need to get their act together to restore this functionality to all of their late-model receivers.

A GPSr SHOULD be able to get a reasonable 3D fix with as few as four satellites, but more will be better. When you have more than the minimum number of satellites available (an "over-determined" fix), the unit's software and firmware will decide how to deal with the redundant information. One option would be to simply find the "best" 4 signals, and use those, but modern 12-channel GPSrs are more sophisticated than this, and try to use all available signals with some sort of weighting to allow for varying signal quality and errors (presumably).

The problem seems to be that in the latest software / firmware revisions, when satellite visibility is sub-optimal, the units are somehow giving the poor quality signals (e.g. those with severe multi-path errors?) undue influence in the overall solution, so that the reported position "drifts" away from the true position, and doesn't self-correct when enough good-quality satellite signals are available to give a good quality fix. Powering down and back on seems to be the only effective way of fixing the "drift", and this is simply unacceptable in my view. (If a power-down and power-up cycle is enough to let the unit work out which signals are worth keeping and which should be discarded, why can't the unit just do this in its normal calculation cycles?)

MtnHermit,

I don't think the problem of "drifting" as seen on some later-model Garmins is this simple - users report serious drift errors (hundreds of metres in some cases) in circumstances where satellite viewing conditions are less than optimal, but where it SHOULD be possible to get a decent-quality fix, and specifically, where the same units USED to be able to get a good fix but with later software / firmware, they now exhibit "drift", while other models (Garmins and other brands) are still able to get a good quality fix.

I don't think a few limited observations with the new software are enough data to enable us to conclude that "five satellites is not enough". For example, my Summit HC will give a good 3D fix with 5 satellites (as long as they are not too closely clustered in the sky), and when my reception DOES become very poor for whatever reason, the EPE goes up as expected, but the unit doesn't exhibit "drift" of hundreds of metres, and I don't need to power down and back on to correct the accuracy. As soon as I get to a location with good satellite visibility, the unit will automatically improve its accuracy - as it should.

I understand that when I keep my unit in a pocket or in my backpack, the accuracy will be slightly less than it could be - but as soon as I take it out and hold it face-up to the sky, the EPE drops, but in general, my position doesn't "drift" back to my true position - not more than a couple of meters, anyhow, which is really just the improved accuracy that I get with a better sky-view. This is the "expected" behaviour, and Garmin need to get their act together to restore this functionality to all of their late-model receivers.

A GPSr SHOULD be able to get a reasonable 3D fix with as few as four satellites, but more will be better. When you have more than the minimum number of satellites available (an "over-determined" fix), the unit's software and firmware will decide how to deal with the redundant information. One option would be to simply find the "best" 4 signals, and use those, but modern 12-channel GPSrs are more sophisticated than this, and try to use all available signals with some sort of weighting to allow for varying signal quality and errors (presumably).

The problem seems to be that in the latest software / firmware revisions, when satellite visibility is sub-optimal, the units are somehow giving the poor quality signals (e.g. those with severe multi-path errors?) undue influence in the overall solution, so that the reported position "drifts" away from the true position, and doesn't self-correct when enough good-quality satellite signals are available to give a good quality fix. Powering down and back on seems to be the only effective way of fixing the "drift", and this is simply unacceptable in my view. (If a power-down and power-up cycle is enough to let the unit work out which signals are worth keeping and which should be discarded, why can't the unit just do this in its normal calculation cycles?)

I agree with julianh's comments about satellite reception quality not being the cause of the drift. I regularly see the drift problem with eight or ten satellites being received.

...this upgrade should fix it, but dosn't

Can we draw this conclusion yet, 80valley? In reviewing the comments so far in this thread from people who has used the 2.70 upgrade, I haven't seen anyone report the kind of clear drift problem we've been seeing with 2.60, that is a relatively sudden deviation of up to hundreds of feet from the known course, a deviation which is then im,mediately corrected with a power cycle. Perhaps I've missed that message. The reports on the odometer performance are fairly clear, but not the drift problem.

I have not tried the 2.70 upgrade myself, perhaps out of fear it might make things worse. I guess I was waiting to see what others report. But I should probably take the plunge!

Don

Can we draw this conclusion yet, 80valley? In reviewing the comments so far in this thread from people who has used the 2.70 upgrade, I haven't seen anyone report the kind of clear drift problem we've been seeing with 2.60, that is a relatively sudden deviation of up to hundreds of feet from the known course, a deviation which is then im,mediately corrected with a power cycle. Perhaps I've missed that message. The reports on the odometer performance are fairly clear, but not the drift problem.

I have not tried the 2.70 upgrade myself, perhaps out of fear it might make things worse. I guess I was waiting to see what others report. But I should probably take the plunge!

Don

I commented briefly about my first experience over on the old thread. I didn't experience the drift until at least 10 hours into a hike that I would have expected to experience it within the first hour and continuing throughout the day. I was very impressed and pleased on the summit, enough that no drift was as exciting as making the summit. Unfortunately, on the way back I did experience the drift, although only once. We were out for something like 13 hours and it only happened once. While I was disappointed it happened, I hoped it indicated at least a wild improvement.

Yesterday I did a 5 mile hike where I'd previously encountered the drift issue a number of times. While I did not experience the drift as drastically as I had previously, it did rear its ugly head... but again, only once, and only in the worst of spot along the bottom of some tall cliffs, whereas previously I had experienced the drift numerous times in numerous places along the trail.

When I say I experienced the drift, each time I attempted to move to a spot with better reception to allow the unit to correct itself, but after giving it time, eventually had to power on/off.

One thing I did notice was each time I powered on/off the unit, previously (with 2.6) it would have me sometimes more than .5 mile away from where I was as it picked up the signal, which was just really evil looking on a track log. After each power on/off with 2.7, the track log seemed to always pick up in the correct spot without devastating the track log.

I like to think that there has been some drastic improvement in the situation, although it doesn't seem to have gone away. This past weekend was the best my GPSr has worked in months. But honestly, its really hard tell without using it more. Looking forward to hearing others experiences.

I agree with julianh's comments about satellite reception quality not being the cause of the drift. I regularly see the drift problem with eight or ten satellites being received.

...this upgrade should fix it, but dosn't

Don

Please read the report of Gerpo on this page. It clearly states that drifting over hundreds of feet occurs also with 2.70!

Edited by gerpo

Hello everyone. I contacted Garmin yesterday and spoke with tech support. They told me that they were infact aware of the issues with drifting and that the newer units currently being built are not suffering from drift issues. They claim the problem is a software issue and has nothing to do with hardware. They assured me the problem is resolved with 2.70. I assured them they are full of crap and that the problem is very prevalent and that my confidence in their abilities has digressed. I got no we are sorry, we will fix your problem, we are working on it. Nothing but Sir, you are the only one who has reported any further issues to us since the release of 2.70 which solved the problem. So please forgive me but I guess 2.70 was not my saving grace Garmin! Too bad companies have gotten so large that the customer means zilch to them. One leaves us oh well we have 6 million more around the world....Makes me wonder if Garmin employees use their own crap or if perhaps they are smart and buy their toys from some other gps manufacturer for knowing they put out steaming piles of crap. Too bad Garmin is not as they use to be. So I guess for what its worth to all the people suffering from this along side of me if since they wont do it ill do it for me, I am sorry you paid hard earned money to get something that is at times rendered useless to you.

Edited by Kyle_freemason

Hello everyone. I contacted Garmin yesterday and spoke with tech support. They told me that they were infact aware of the issues with drifting and that the newer units currently being built are not suffering from drift issues.

Can anyone confirm that the drift problem is not effecting new units.

the newer units currently being built are not suffering from drift issues. They claim the problem is a software issue and has nothing to do with hardware.

So why would a newer unit make a difference then?

The statement doesn't hold water.

The whole conversation is pretty much a non sequitur. It a software problem. - Our new units don't have that problem just don't go together. I think further conversations with Garmin are necessary to understand what the heck this means.

I will tell you guys what it means...they were giving me the run around. They likely give everyone this answer hoping they will not have enough information to doubt or question their response. It is so frustrating that they think I along with everyone else having these problems is ignorant and will accept the standard answer. It simply boils down to the fact that they are not owning up to their problems and are allowing us...the consumer to suffer. Maybe down the road they might figure it out.

Hello everyone. I contacted Garmin yesterday and spoke with tech support. They told me that they were infact aware of the issues with drifting and that the newer units currently being built are not suffering from drift issues.

Can anyone confirm that the drift problem is not effecting new units.

I'd be interested in knowing as well. I'm thinking of 'pulling the trigger' on a new Legend HCx, mostly for motorcycling and occasional geocaching. Maybe I should just get an older Cx model?

If you can live with lower sensitivity, the venture cx is heavily discounted, if you can still find one. That doesn't drift.

I think the drifting is a characteristic of the Mediatek chipset i.e. hardware. The software updates are just kludges to try to make any kind of a purse out of the proverbial sow's ear.

The Sirfstar used in the 60CX doesn't give problems, as we all know....

I think the drifting is a characteristic of the Mediatek chipset i.e. hardware. The software updates are just kludges to try to make any kind of a purse out of the proverbial sow's ear.

I believe you are probably correct and that is why folks that have purchased the colorado ( that has the same Mediatek chipset as used in the vista HCx ) are complaining about the same Drift / Accuracy problem.

I believe you are probably correct and that is why folks that have purchased the colorado ( that has the same Mediatek chipset as used in the vista HCx ) are complaining about the same Drift / Accuracy problem.

Hi,

Is it possible that there is a bad batch of those chips out there. I have never experienced any problems with my Vista HCX (formely with 2.60/2.60 now 2.70/2.60)?

Hi,

Is it possible that there is a bad batch of those chips out there. I have never experienced any problems with my Vista HCX (formely with 2.60/2.60 now 2.70/2.60)?

I don't think that all the Vista HCx's have the MediaTek chipset, some units report a Bravo chipset. This is also reported elsewhere with other models. You can enter the diagnostic startup by holding in the Enter key & powering up the unit. Units with MTK's should show a regular powerup screen like the following:

MediaTek.jpg

Hi,

I don't think that all the Vista HCx's have the MediaTek chipset, some units report a Bravo chipset. This is also reported elsewhere with other models. You can enter the diagnostic startup by holding in the Enter key & powering up the unit. Units with MTK's should show a regular powerup screen like the following:

MediaTek.jpg

Interesting observation. I tried this with my Legend HCx and it reports Bravo Verison 2. I do have an issue with the unit in that the slower you move, the more the pointer arrow freezes and quits reporting speed (this improved slightly with 2.7 firmware but is still an annoying problem). This is something I've never had an issue with on my old Vista C, Legend (blue), or my 60CSx. Do note however, that I have NEVER experienced the drift issue that everyone is complaining about. I think it would be interesting to have others report thier findings as well. You may be on to something.

Edited by roadrage64

Just checked my unit and I have the Bravo 2. My main complaint with the unit was the odometer issues. I once had the unit record a track 30 metres from where I was but it did not seem to be able to record a track properly unless I was going a certain speed. (I thought this was the "drift" problem.) However, this slow speed problem seems to have been corrected with the 2.70 upgrade . Now it might show me stopped for a few seconds as opposed to minutes as before. At any rate, I am much happier with the upgrade so far. I do note that I must make sure I get a really good fix before I begin my trek or my starting point is a jumbled mess. (I do live in a valley with some rock structures around.) Hope this helps.

Here is something interesting. I have two units. One has the mediatek chip the other has a bravo 2. The unit with the bravo 2 has no drift issues that I have ever experienced. The unit with the mediatek will stray from the trails that I walk when I have had it on for quite some time. How many of you have the bravo and how many have the mediatek? Possibly this is where the problem is.

Here is something interesting. I have two units. One has the mediatek chip the other has a bravo 2. The unit with the bravo 2 has no drift issues that I have ever experienced. The unit with the mediatek will stray from the trails that I walk when I have had it on for quite some time. How many of you have the bravo and how many have the mediatek? Possibly this is where the problem is.

Which of the two units that you have is newer, Bravo or Mediatek? Is Garmin now shipping units with Bravo or Mediatek?? I suspect they may have made a change without telling any one (so they dont have to admit liability)

Hi just checked my unit it came with bravo version. I have a test screen by holding down the togle enter button while powering up. It has a readout OF SOFTWARE VERSION 2.70 ,BRAVO VERSION 2, TIME,TEMPERATUERE,FREQUENCY,XO DRIFT,SIGNAL,SNR,VOLTAGE,BACKLIGHT, COMPASS HEADING,ALTTITUDE, , and bravo,rom,ram and bmap test that let you no if it pass or fail. lets you check that all your buttons are working plus does some color test. I would upload a picture can not find the upload window

I have the Bravo 2 chipset. I haven't experienced the major drift issues, really only the odometer issue. Hoping this update will help. Going to check it out this weekend. Haven't been able to use the GPS to calculate distances done/left to do, speed, etc-all things I really wanted a GPS for.

Hi just checked my unit it came with bravo version. I have a test screen by holding down the togle enter button while powering up. It has a readout OF SOFTWARE VERSION 2.70 ,BRAVO VERSION 2, TIME,TEMPERATUERE,FREQUENCY,XO DRIFT,SIGNAL,SNR,VOLTAGE,BACKLIGHT, COMPASS HEADING,ALTTITUDE, , and bravo,rom,ram and bmap test that let you no if it pass or fail. lets you check that all your buttons are working plus does some color test. I would upload a picture can not find the upload window

screen.bmp.jpg

I have the Bravo 2 chipset. I haven't experienced the major drift issues, really only the odometer issue. Hoping this update will help. Going to check it out this weekend. Haven't been able to use the GPS to calculate distances done/left to do, speed, etc-all things I really wanted a GPS for.

Hmmmm....

You could be on to something. For what it's worth, my Summit HC also reports a Bravo 2 chipset, and has never exhibited any drift whatsoever.

92d33dde83289bce46f44ba7978968332g.jpg

Edited by julianh

My 76CSx reports a "Bravo - Pass" when I do the diagnostic startup. My old blue eTrex Legend show "Bravo 7" and my 76CS show "Bravo 204". Perhaps that is code for a particular chip set, then I would be curious to know what those with Mediatek on the startup screen show when they look at the diagnostics page.

Edited by Klatch