There is a new update for the oregon

See here for more details.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Software from 2.2 to 2.3

GPS software to 2.48

List of changes

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

* Added the ability to control the scale of the x and y axes of elevation plot . Tap the x-axis legend to zoom the x-axis. Tap the y-axis legend to zoom the y-axis

* Added panning and zooming to the image viewer

* Added ability to set position after pressing the go button when GPS is in Demo Mode

* Added option to add a point from the map in Route Planner

* Added option to search near a point on the map in Where To?

* Added preview of on-road routes in Route Planner

* Added option to save a geocaches as a waypoint

* Added error message when the maximum number of geocaches is exceeded (2000)

* Added error message when the maximum number of gpx files is exceeded (200)

* Added option to clear the current track from Track Manager

* Added support for downloading geocaches written using Groundspeak v1.1 extentions

* Added elevation plot type to user profiles

* Improved GPS performance

* Improved map drawing performance in some situations

* Improved handling of naming a waypoint the same as an existing waypoint

* Improved feedback when typing an invalid character into the keyboard

* Improved display of intermittent water areas

* Fixed 3D View not showing detail from supplemental maps

* Fixed 3D View occasionally not showing anything

* Fixed waypoint and geocache symbols not updating on the map after being changed

* Fixed Custom POIs not being removed from Recent Finds after the Custom POI database was deleted

* Fixed being unable to pan or zoom when reviewing a route

* Fixed issues with Cyrillic characters

* Fixed issue where the Oregon would temporally stop responding after a spell search

* Fixed issue where left map data field could get stuck on depth

* Fixed creating invalid gpx files after projecting a waypoint

* Fixed city coloring with CityNav 2009

* Fixed map getting stuck in north up mode after panning

* Fixed geocaches without names not being in the geocaches list

Garmin seems to be picking up an upcoming change in the Groundspeak xml format for gpx files. The 1.1 xsd can be found here: http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/1/cache.xsd and for 1.0 (current xsd) here http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/cache.xsd

Comments below from the 1.1 xsd file identify the changes. I looked in the Oregon cache descriptions running 2.3 hoping to see a last updated or exported date on each cache but no such luck. It might be just a compatibility change so that when Groundspeak releases the 1.1 xsd Garmin doesn't have to play emergency catch up. Probably has no impact on the end user.

GO$Rs

−
<!--
cache.xsd version 1.1: Private GPX extensions used for Geocaching pages on Geocaching.com 
-->
<!-- Changes to the cache.xsd -->
−
<!--
Added GUID for transition to database redesign. Both GUID and ID are now optional 
-->
−
<!--
Added lastUpdated and exported dates to each cache 
-->

* Added option to search near a point on the map in Where To?

WhereTo?>Bullseye>A Map Point brings you to a map page where you can pan/zoom and select a map point as your starting search point.

* Added ability to set position after pressing the go button when GPS is in Demo Mode

Setup>System>GPS>Demo Mode. From WhereTo? or Map page select a new location and Go. You'll get a new options "Move to Location".

GO$Rs

I was hoping this might be a WAAS fix but I don't see any difference. I waited for nearly 45 minutes and still didn't have a WAAS signal.

I see the same behavior with WAAS with this software release: it takes a mighty long time (ages after the 60CSx shows it), but I can usually get it in certain areas.

I browsed through the update binary, and found a few library names (two with STM copyrights). They updated their WAAS library, so I wonder why it doesn't work any better than it did.

GPSLIB_6.4.3.47 ARM - Aug 13 2008, 17:32:08 ©2007 ST Microelectronics

OS20_02.06.13 ARM7 - Jul 29 2008 13:46:53 ©2007 ST Microelectronics

WAASLIB_01.08.10 ARM - Aug 13 2008, 17:32:12

STAGPSLIB_0.10.1.14 ARM - Jul 29 2008, 19:28:41

I had a variation of the non-responsive UI with the new software, but it didn't require a software re-install to correct itself (just power off and wait 5 minutes). Perhaps my unit is faulty since I am seeing it happen more often, and no one else is seeing the problem. Disconcerting... Garmin Tech Support only said that they sent my youtube video on to design.

I did a hike with the new software tonight and I'm still not impressed with the accuracy compared with the 60CSx. I think I will return the 400t and wait for the DeLorme PN-40 to come out (apparently DeLorme is insistent on beta testing it -- huh?! :blink: ). Even though they both use the same chipset (IIRC), I'm curious to see how the PN-40 accuracy compares to the 60CSx. If it is as good or better than the 60CSx, then I'll stick with the PN-40, else I'll take another look at the Oregon 400t (or whatever the next flavor of the month happens to be from Garmin).

Good luck to all the Oregon beta testers! I'd keep doing it if they would pay me. :anibad:

J

I hope that the next firmware will also allow a different color management for some screens - e.g. tripcomputer-page (black numbers on white background) to use it on the mountainbike on a sunny day.
Since GO$Rs informed me you can put any custom JPEG behind the data fields, why not put a white JPEG behind for a test. Aren't the letters white with a black rule? Please post a SS.

I do not like this webupdate thing. Is there a way to go back to a previous version if they mess things up?

I've added direct links to the gcd files that the webupdater uses on the wiki with instructions on how to up/downgrade if necessary. I'd use Webupdater if at all possible, but just in case :wub: :

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

The Issues list in the wiki has been cleaned up to reflect the latest bug fixes and feature adds. Mostly good stuff -- although I still seem to have this nasty Memory Full issue that won't go away and 2.3 didn't fix.

GO$Rs

left pic is with white backgroundpicture - right picture is a photomontage (similar to gpsmap60 layout)

oregon-betterzho.jpg

I'll accept your left/right order and suggest I like the left best. The RH image seems out of focus. Both beat palm fronds. Neither is as good as my eTrex's simple black text on white. But then you already knew that.

Thanks

I was hoping this might be a WAAS fix but I don't see any difference. I waited for nearly 45 minutes and still didn't have a WAAS signal.

GO$Rs

After purchasing my Oregon yesterday, and being somewhat dissapointing to see accuracy hovering around 10-20m (30-60') throughout today with 10-11 satellites available, a quick update to 2.30 is producing figures around (the common) 4m (12') now. :yikes: This is without WAAS (not normally available in Australia).

Nice to see my confidence restored somewhat. :P

mm

Before the 2.3 upgrade I was seeing around 35-40 foot accuracy but still finding caches with very good readings for the final destination.

After the 2.3 upgrade I am seeing 15-20 foot accuracy, picking up a WAAS reading for the first time and still zeroing out at a final.

Just to convince myself to rely more on the unit and feel confident with the Oregon I went and found around 6 benchmarks. After that I feel that it may not be quite as accurate as the 60 Csx, but it is almost there.

For someone who has found a couple hundred caches and knowing what to look for on regular size hides it should be no problem at all.

I love the touch screen and do not feel I am handicapped by the screen brightness.

Yes, I am starting to believe in the unit and just wondering what Garmin will bring out next. :yikes:

The question is: Do you really have better accuracy, or did Garmin simply switch to a different measure for EPE?

I would trust Garmin to list any change in error calculations as such, and not as an "improved GPS perfomance".

In any case it is nice to finally see some better numbers displayed, no matter how they are derived. :yikes:

mm

Before the 2.3 upgrade I was seeing around 35-40 foot accuracy but still finding caches with very good readings for the final destination.

After the 2.3 upgrade I am seeing 15-20 foot accuracy, picking up a WAAS reading for the first time and still zeroing out at a final.

Just as a quick test I ran out to my front yard to see what kind of accuracy I could get in TS Fay with the 2.3 update. After about five minutes I got 16' but no WAAS. The touchscreen works great in the rain!

As a side note, I only have seen the "D"s once. The OR was in my lap as I was driving (no moon roof) and for Ships and giggles I decided to to check the status screen at a red light. The next time I checked the status, all of the "D"s were gone. The OR does get me very close to the caches, and the few times I busted out the 60csx to help me find a cache, the 60scx didn't help me.