Geocache sites, Typical questions from a newbie

jcossaboon

I am a newbie to caching, but not to the outdoors.

I bought a Garmin vista Hcx for hunting and kayaking and thought it would be fun to use for Geocaching.

I found my first cache right away but had trouble with the second one. I have looked twice for it and I can't find it. I know it is possible that it is moved or missing, but here is my questions

1. What is the best accuracy you can get? I am getting somewhere around 15' (which I think is good)

2. What format is the accepted format for Long/Lat? DD.MM.MMM and Map Datum WGS 84?

3. When a cache coordinates are given, is that for the cache or for the general area of the cache?

I thought this was supposed to be the coordinates of the cache but I read a couple of cache notes that said that once you get there to look for a TALL TREE that is about 80' away.

I just want to be sure that I am looking in the right place for the cache.

Thanks

1. What is the best accuracy you can get? I am getting somewhere around 15' (which I think is good)

Your unit give you an estimate of the accuracy. Note that this is only an estimate. Best I've ever seen with my

GPS was 5 feet. More often it's between 10 and 20 feet.

2. What format is the accepted format for Long/Lat? DD.MM.MMM and Map Datum WGS 84?

DD.MM.MMM and Map Datum WGS 84 are correct

3. When a cache coordinates are given, is that for the cache or for the general area of the cache?

For a non puzzle cache the coordinates are supposed to be for the cache. Coordinates are usually taken standing over or next to the cache.

In effect however the coordinates just give you a general area to look. Consider that the hider's unit has a degree of inaccuracy and so does yours. If the hider's unit was off 20 feet and your unit is off 20 feet, the cache can be as many as 40 feet from where your GPS says it is.

Also consider that a 20 ft error in a GPS is pretty good. Under certain conditions, tree cover, tall buildings, cliffs can negatively affect the accuracy.

Start your hunt where your GPS is pointing, but remember that 30, 40 or 50 feet off is fairly common. More than 50 feet is not unheard of. Sometimes the hider is not experienced and gives bad coordinates. Sometimes conditions when the cache is hidden are not conducive to accurate coordinates. I've heard of coordinates being more than 100 feet off. Thankfully this is rare.

Brian,

Thanks for the response. WOW, a 50' radius searching for a pill bottle or microcache is gonna take some time. I am up for the challenge, but it is not gonna be as easy as I thought. I guess I will have to find a partner that has some experience to show me the ropes.

Your unit give you an estimate of the accuracy. Note that this is only an estimate. Best I've ever seen with my

For a non puzzle cache the coordinates are supposed to be for the cache. Coordinates are usually taken standing over or next to the cache.

In effect however the coordinates just give you a general area to look. Consider that the hider's unit has a degree of inaccuracy and so does yours. If the hider's unit was off 20 feet and your unit is off 20 feet, the cache can be as many as 40 feet from where your GPS says it is.

Also consider that a 20 ft error in a GPS is pretty good. Under certain conditions, tree cover, tall buildings, cliffs can negatively affect the accuracy.

Start your hunt where your GPS is pointing, but remember that 30, 40 or 50 feet off is fairly common. More than 50 feet is not unheard of. Sometimes the hider is not experienced and gives bad coordinates. Sometimes conditions when the cache is hidden are not conducive to accurate coordinates. I've heard of coordinates being more than 100 feet off. Thankfully this is rare.

Brian,

Thanks for the response. WOW, a 50' radius searching for a pill bottle or microcache is gonna take some time. I am up for the challenge, but it is not gonna be as easy as I thought. I guess I will have to find a partner that has some experience to show me the ropes.

My advice would be until you get a few caches under your belt don't even bother with the micros, sometimes they can be tough for the experienced guys.