"Send to iPod" Feature

TheRubikCuber

Now for all of us who have a Garmin, we use the "Send to GPS" button and the waypoints automatically go to the GPSr.

...But wouldn't it be cool :D if there was a "Send to iPod" Feature, where all notes and hints go to an iPod of choice and not printing a single sheet of paper?

I contacted Groundspeak about this idea and they said, "Since this is a concept that affects all geocachers, I am going to suggest that you post this in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum." So Here it is.

Please post your ideas and thoughts here and maybe this will become a reality.

Thanks,

Bluemini1993

Edited by bluemini1993

First of all, there is a Post count on each message so you can see how many responses there are. Look at the far right of the light blue line that your cache name is on.

Now, about the "Send to..." feature. This feature (Garmin Communicator) was provided by Garmin. Groundspeak just incorporated it into this site. Not the other way around. So, if you want such a feature for your iPod, talk to Apple. Same goes for TomTom, Magellan, etc.

Now for all of us who have a Garmin, we use the "Send to GPS" button and the waypoints automatically go to the GPSr.

...But wouldn't it be cool :anibad: if there was a "Send to iPod" Feature, where all notes and hints go to an iPod of choice and not printing a single sheet of paper?

I contacted Groundspeak about this idea and they said, "Since this is a concept that affects all geocachers, I am going to suggest that you post this in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum." So Here it is.

Please post your ideas and thoughts here and maybe this will become a reality.

Thanks,

Bluemini1993

Again talk to Apple. Which kind of iPod? Not all are compatible. The iPod Touch certainly isn't. Try cache magnet for iPod Nanos. Good luck.

I don't own an iPod so I would have no idea if they are any good (or as good) for reading cache page data as I currently do on a PDA. Maybe if someone could chop the data so it could uploaded. No idea.

Now that I think about it you could read cache pages on the touch. You need to be running 2.0 (also works on iPhone) Go to a cache page and hold the home and sleep button and bam! You have a screenshot of the page.

Become a premium member.

Download Pocket Queries tailored to show the caches you are interested in.

Use third-party software to slice, dice, and upload the information to whatever device can handle it.

If your device can't handle it, it's between you and the manufacturer.

With the multitude of 'The send to GPS link doesn't work' threads, I would expect even more problems sending to a device that isn't even meant for the job.

I want a 'Send to my Toaster-Oven' feature.

Become a premium member.

Use third-party software to slice, dice, and upload the information to whatever device can handle it.

There are quite a few programs that will convert a GPX file into iPod contacts and a few that will convert it to notes.

:anibad: Does that burn the cache details onto a slice of toast? Or just burns the cache? :blink:

Become a premium member.

With the multitude of 'The send to GPS link doesn't work' threads, I would expect even more problems sending to a device that isn't even meant for the job.

I like this method of doing things. Besides, it is easier. As for third party crap, I believe there is a very well known (and good) set of stuff designed for the iPod. It's called MacCaching. They have a website, check it out see what you find.

:anibad: Does that burn the cache details onto a slice of toast? Or just burns the cache? :blink:

It's in a rather primitive stage of development at this time.

It burns the GCcode, cache type (trad, multi, etc), co-ordinates, and D/T ratings.

Works great with white bread, OK with rye, but pumpernickel...forget it!

Yes, you need to address this request to Apple.

My guess is that if they were to program and provide a suitable plug-in for their units, Groundspeak would be willing to discuss it with them.

My guess is that Apple has never heard of Groundspeak.

:blink: Does that burn the cache details onto a slice of toast? Or just burns the cache? :P

They already have one. It's just a matter of getting it to interface with the geocaching.com website. I hope the Groundspeak staff are already hard at work on it! :anibad:

Dang, why is it that when you drop a piece of toast, it always lands hint side down???

Edited by DavidMac

:wub: Does that burn the cache details onto a slice of toast? Or just burns the cache? :wub:

They already have one. It's just a matter of getting it to interface with the geocaching.com website. I hope the Groundspeak staff are already hard at work on it! :wub:

Dang, why is it that when you drop a piece of toast, it always lands hint side down???

That's why I prep all my geocaching toast with a lovely image of the Virgin Mary on the reverse!

:wub:

DCC

That wish has already been granted, sort of.

Run a PQ, open it with GSAK, sort as desired, and run the GSAK macro to drop the data into your Ipod.

Here's the GSAK forum thread on the topic.

Maybe not exactly a one click option, but I'm pretty lo-tech and I figured it out once someone showed me they were using an Ipod instead of a PDA, and shared the link with me. I love being able to run down the trail with just my GPS and Ipod and keys in my pocket.

Now about this grilled cheese maker you are talking about-how does that work? :wub:

My guess is that if they were to program and provide a suitable plug-in for their units, Groundspeak would be willing to discuss it with them.

Possibly.

However, if users of their products wish to have software features developed that interface said products with the data on Groundspeak's websites, then the users need to take responsibility for making Apple aware.

Possibly.

However, if users of their products wish to have software features developed that interface said products with the data on Groundspeak's websites, then the users need to take responsibility for making Apple aware.

Someone at apple has heard of geocaching.com because I had to tell them how to log in for Geopher Lite for the apple app store to approve my application. =)

For the iPhone/iPod Touch the full version of my software (currently in development) may be able to do this. It depends on what I can work out with apple's SDK limitations and Groundspeak's terms of use. It wouldn't be a "Send to iPhone" button, it would be more of making the "Download GPX" handle the rest for you directly into the application. It would have to be while running the 3rd party application because apple doesn't allow for safari plugins on iPhone/touch. And it may be pie in the sky, but I'm trying to get it done. I have other (easier ways) of getting things on there in development as well. Wish me luck. =)

http://geopherlite.blogspot.com

If you use a Mac, you can use MacCaching software to open your Pocket Queries, and then send the data to your GPSr and then to your iPod (as Notes). It would be cool if you could do it directly from cache pages, though, in the cases where you did not feel like downloading a Pocket Query.

Apple does not need to get involved. Groundspeak just needs someone to write an app to send out text in iPod Notes format.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I'm not sure that a "send to" option would work with an iPod. The primary interface is set up through iTunes, and I know you can load it as an external drive, but that would definitely have to be an Apple programming endeavor...and I don't see something like this on Apple's radar. Apple is focusing on "app" development, and urges developers (personal or professional) to create programs for iPods. I think it would be great to see some development of an app from Groundspeak, or for current developers (maccaching, geopher, igeocacher) to create an app that Groundspeak could authorize to use previously downloaded loc and gpx files to help go paperless with an ipod (and not have to use "Notes" to jumble the cache info, hint and possible logs).

iGeocacher is the closest thing that I've found, and you have to webhost your own gpx files (and I don't have the skills to make my own webpage containing that stuff!), so that can be a confusing and cumbersome chore...