Looking for help from someone in South Lake Tahoe

Tri_Again

Hi Folk,

My girlfriend and I will be heading to South Lake Tahoe the last week of September and will be doing some caching in the area.

Can anyone recommend any interesting caches to do. We are most interested in caches nead beautiful landscapes (rock formation, or waterfalls as examples) or caches that teach us about the local area.

Also, can anyone fill me in as to anything special consideration to take into account while caching in this area...(for example dangerous animals, or snakes that we need to take precautions against.)

Thank you in advance for you help.

Jeff (Tri_Again)

This is not a completely thought out idea yet, meaning yes I know I want to propose to my girlfriend, and I know (99.9%) that she'll say yes, but I would like to do it in a very memorable and special way.

My girlfriend and I love geocaching together, we do it for hours at a time so it has crossed my mind that I might want to do something with a cache in the South Lake Tahoe or surrounding area as part of the proposal. This is where the idea kind of looses clarity....I'm not exactly sure what to do, or how to do it.

I'm wondering if someone reading this was inspired and was willing to talk about what we might do to make this a very special and memorable moment.

Thanks,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

This is not a completely thought out idea yet, meaning yes I know I want to propose to my girlfriend, and I know (99.9%) that she'll say yes, but I would like to do it in a very memorable and special way.

My girlfriend and I love geocaching together, we do it for hours at a time so it has crossed my mind that I might want to do something with a cache in the South Lake Tahoe or surrounding area as part of the proposal. This is where the idea kind of looses clarity....I'm not exactly sure what to do, or how to do it.

I'm wondering if someone reading this was inspired and was willing to talk about what we might do to make this a very special and memorable moment.

Thanks,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

So we're assuming she can read... but not the forums! [You may have just proposed to her and not realized it yet.]

We're planning to be in the area before you get there. It's not my normal caching grounds so I can't direct you to any cache. However, why does it need to be a cache others have been to? How about having a special cache placed just for her to find. It's not like she'd know you've set her up if you give her the coordinates (which go to your proposal cache) and tell her you solved some puzzle near it. [On the other hand, she could have read this post and already initiated a counter surprise! :D ]

Contact me if you'd like to work on this. :D

We drove around the lake about a month ago. There are some beautiful parks.

Anniversary Cache (Traditional Cache) Rock formations and view of waterfall

Sand Harbor (more than 1)

Memorial Point Scenic Overlook (Virtual Cache)

Lucky Baldwin Virtual Cache (Virtual Cache) Great history

Balancing Cache (Traditional Cache) All rock, with a little stream close by

Good luck

Ron

Edited by ferventkids

Hi Folk,

My girlfriend and I will be heading to South Lake Tahoe the last week of September and will be doing some caching in the area.

Can anyone recommend any interesting caches to do. We are most interested in caches nead beautiful landscapes (rock formation, or waterfalls as examples) or caches that teach us about the local area.

Also, can anyone fill me in as to anything special consideration to take into account while caching in this area...(for example dangerous animals, or snakes that we need to take precautions against.)

Thank you in advance for you help.

Jeff (Tri_Again)

Although he is not a local to that area, I would suggest you contact Habu. He organizes a large event in that area with many caches focussed on the history and scenery.

Thanks,

Jeff (Tri_Again)

Also contact Sonny and Sandy at Podcacher, he proposed by geocache and was successful

- merged similar threads...

Hopefully the Northerner Nevada folks will chime in. They sleep pretty much all the time, but they have been known to speak up on occasion. :wub:

::yawn, streeeetch,yawn::

Anniversary Cache would be a nice spot, check out the link, theres a lot of pictures.

We came across this place last weekend, even though its a memorial, it's a beautiful spot:

R&B Rockon

And if you end up at that one you must visit,Dead Men Tell no Tales, not quite the place to propose but it's one of the most creative caches I've seen in a long time.

All of these are on the South Shore, I'd go towards the Anniversary Cache, you can't go wrong with Emerald Bay!

Oh and bears seem to be the only minor threat. We didn't see any last weekend although we think we might have heard one :wub: I've never seen rattlesnakes up there but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Edited by LostinReno

Well, the plan is well under way to propose to my girlfriend. The "fake" cache is being hidden this week, and in two week I'll be in Lake Tahoe proposing.

Until then, if there are any further suggestions for real caches that are must sees, I'd very much appreciate the suggestions.

Jeff

(Tri_Again)

I agree with Lost in Reno -- Anniversary cache has some of the most spectacular views of Emerald Bay and Dead Men Tell No Tales was great! We also enjoyed Balancing Cache and the Great Flume Trail Webcam a bunch.

Can't wait to hear the ending :(

I forgot about Balancing Cache, another cool one! Good Luck Guys and I hope Congrats are in order!

Well,

We made the trip, I made the proposal, and she said yes!!!.

Thank you to everyone for all your help. We didn't make it to all the caches that were recommended, but we made a few. Off the top of my head I remember doing Anniversary Cache and Balancing Cache (that was cache #1700 for me!!). We also did another cache near Anniversary cache that we likely should have approached from the same parking location, but instead went down the rock face from a pull-off about a 1/2 mile away. We loved the rock climbing, and what a beautiful bay. I can see why it was recommended. Thank you. The road along the top ridge of the mountain was a bit freaky!!

Also, we did some mountain biking on the East side of the lake along Flume Trail(?) (I think that was the name). It was 4 miles of amazing views of Lake Tahoe. No caches, but not everything has to have a cache at the end....or does it!!!!

The highlight for me was when we went to do "Stream Profile Nature Walk". We had heard that the Salmon were beginning to spawn, but what we ended up seeing was a black bear cub trying to catch dinner. It was the first time I had seen a bear (in the wild) and I was just facinated.

This is truly one of the most beautiful areas. We loved everything about it, including getting engaged.

That you to all, but I especially want to thank Green Achers and his wife for there assistance in make my proposal to my fiancee so memorable.

Blessings to you all,

Jeff

(Tri_Again)