My new caching laptop

I just received my wife's old laptop (which is not that old). She decided since she does not use it anymore since she got a desk top that I could have it. I am making this laptop my all purpose geocaching laptop. I am mainly looking for a mapping program that I can use out in the field. I was looking for something that I could enter coordinates in and mark points on it. So the program has to be something used off line but has to be updateable Mainly want to use it as a reference, and it is cheaper than buying an in car GPS since i already have the computer. It is a Dell Inspirion running Vista.

Any suggestions?

I got everything else I need for it. Picture programs, GPS software (GSAK), PDA stuff, Word, and a few other things, but nothing in the mapping dept.

Edited by Sparticus06
I was looking for something that I could enter coordinates in and mark points on it. So the program has to be something used off line but has to be updateable Mainly want to use it as a reference...

I use Mapsource for this purpose on my laptop. I keep various sets of maps on it depending on my purpose. If you have a Garmin unit, you can also use nRoute for real-time tracking on the laptop as well.

you don't mention what kind of GPS you have.

if you are using a garmin GPS i recommend that you get both the garmin topo maps and garmin citynavigator, but make sure you get the version that will load to your computer instead of the one that needs you to schlepp around the discs.

use nroute.

I use the Delorme Street Atlas with the bundled LT-40 GPS receiver on my laptop. The whole package is $69.95. I export the caches from GSAK them import them into Street Atlas. Great for seeing what caches are nearby, and getting to the vicinity. Then I switch to my handheld GPSr for the actual search.

I have also used the DeLorme Street Atlas on a laptop with my Garmin GPS60. It should work with any GPS reciever, as long as it can be configured properly.

The nice thing is that Street Atlas will takein GPX files directly. There is no need to go through something like GSAK.

If you have a Garmin mapping GPS and have already sprung for the pricey City Navigator maps, then you can use nRoute at no additional cost. Simply download it from Garmin's site and it works with the maps you bought. I've been doing that for more than two years now and it's worked quite well for me in the car, together with GSAK. Seeing your cachemobile on the laptop screen with all the caches, and being able to autoroute on the laptop, is far easier than squinting at a tiny map on the GPS. For safety's sake if you don't have a navigator, upcoming turns are announced with an audio voice.

The other alternative for real-time mapping is Microsoft Streets & Trips. The quality of S&T's maps are higher than in the Mapsource/nRoute software. But, you have to shell out extra bucks for the additional software.

I just received my wife's old laptop (which is not that old). She decided since she does not use it anymore since she got a desk top that I could have it. I am making this laptop my all purpose geocaching laptop. I am mainly looking for a mapping program that I can use out in the field. I was looking for something that I could enter coordinates in and mark points on it. So the program has to be something used off line but has to be updateable Mainly want to use it as a reference, and it is cheaper than buying an in car GPS since i already have the computer. It is a Dell Inspirion running Vista.

Any suggestions?

I got everything else I need for it. Picture programs, GPS software (GSAK), PDA stuff, Word, and a few other things, but nothing in the mapping dept.

I Highly recommend DeLorme's Topo USA and consider purchasing image overlays for your primary areas of interest.

I probably don't need to stress how important it is to know the topography of areas you're searching in so, there's some justification right there. If you add their GPSr (LT20, LT40) for their software, you've got a great combination to use for planning purposes while in the field. I'd have to look back at my software a little but if I remember correctly I was able to do an import of cache/waypoint data from Garmin's MapSource into Topo USA and I believe even from the GeoCaching dot com cache data when I was fooling around with it. I was able to pick up TOPO USA 5 with the LT20 (new) for about $70, you may find better deals on it if you look around.

While I have all my mapping and geocaching data on both my laptop and desktop I have yet to take the laptop into the field as I can research everything I plan to hit before I go and load all the data onto my 60csx and not worry about leaving my laptop in my vehicle. That said, I still take my laptop if I were on any trip of more that a single day. Topo maps on your GPS are equally important if you're doing woodlands/off road geocaching. Also consider an inexpensive portable printer.

Have fun

I use the Delorme Street Atlas with the bundled LT-40 GPS receiver on my laptop. The whole package is $69.95. I export the caches from GSAK them import them into Street Atlas. Great for seeing what caches are nearby, and getting to the vicinity. Then I switch to my handheld GPSr for the actual search.

I have also used the DeLorme Street Atlas on a laptop with my Garmin GPS60. It should work with any GPS reciever, as long as it can be configured properly.

The nice thing is that Street Atlas will takein GPX files directly. There is no need to go through something like GSAK.

True, you don't need GSAK. In this case I use it to filter which caches I put onto the map. And I have tried Street Atlas with other GPS units and it does work fine - you can use your handheld. The advantage I find with the LT-40 is I can leave it in the truck connected to the laptop while I am using the handheld.

Any suggestions?

Mine is set up with. GPS Bable GUI. GSAK, and Watcher. NG Topo. MS Streets and Trips. Mapsource Topo, City Select and N-Routes. Google earth (works off line if you have looked at the area while online recently but it whines and gripes about it) and TopoFusion. After setting all that up a few weeks ago I never did manage to use it caching to see what I really like.

Any suggestions?

...I probably don't need to stress how important it is to know the topography of areas you're searching in ...

... I still take my laptop if I were on any trip of more that a single day. Topo maps on your GPS are equally important if you're doing woodlands/off road geocaching. Also consider an inexpensive portable printer.

Have fun

Master Dirt makes some good points here about knowing the topography. I've also got topo maps on the laptop and GPSr. We also have an inexpensive printer we take along on longer trips. It's not designated as a 'portable' printer, it's just cheap and relatively small. The truck's got a 400 watt power inverter, so I can power everything in the field.

And if you are doing woodlands/off road geocaching, watch out for sheep (see logs for GC1EPK8 ) :D

Edited by markandsandy