Garmin Vista HCx and Pearl with CacheBerry

Let me first state I am new to geocaching and GPSr's. With my disclaimer out of the way let me ask for some opinions.

So far I am geocaching with a Vista HCx and Blackberry Pearl to hold my data detail. I'll create a PocketQuery and load the GPX file onto the Garmin with MapSource and onto my Blackberry using CacheBerry. Overall this works well but there are a few shortcomings.

Garmin

- I haven't purchased additional maps because I simply don't know what I should get. An email to Garmin resulted in a suggestion to buy City Navigator and then the update. Seems odd to purchase a product and immediately an upgrade to it. Still not sure if I should get City Navigator or their Topo product. (or is there a third party product that would work better?)

- Without additional mapping detail I can't see any trails or road.

- I'm probably doing something wrong but when I try to tell to take me to a loaded cache it directs me to the nearest highway even if I'm within 50 feet of the cache.

- I'll walk back and forth trying to find a cache and notice my track is off even though I'm literally pacing. I really suck at finding caches.

- I don't understand why Garmin can't make it so you can load cache details onto the Vista. The screen is small but it seems it should be capable.

Blackberry w/Cacheberry

- There's no synchronization back to MapSource.

- I'm using an older 8100 so I cannot say find nearest. I'll have to use the Garmin to find something close, then find that cache number on the BB. Not a big deal but a little annoyance.

- Can't sort by difficulty. Like I said I am really bad but I am persistent. Trying to find the easy one's nearby to continue getting my feet wet.

I realize I'm probably whining to you hardcore geocachers that have been doing this for a while. This is likely a vast improvement to the way you all used to do it in the old days. I just don't know if I picked the right device. Everyone seems so sold on Garmin I went in that direction but overall I'm not so impressed. To be fair maybe I'm not using it right.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there an easier, more efficient way to do what I am doing? Or should I suck it up and this is all part of the game?

:anicute:

If you get GSAK (gsak.net) you can put your PQ's in that and then sort by difficulty. Then look for those on your cacheberry program. As to maps I don't have any installed on my handheld. If you are doing urban csches just follow the arrow. If you want to use it to drive to the closest location before switching over City Navigator is the way to go.

I use the same combo albeit with a Blackberry Curve. My workflow:

PQs --> GSAK (http://www.gsak.net ) database. From GSAK, export closest 1000 as a GPX file to cacheberry. From GSAK, transfer the closest 1000 to the Vista.

Let me first state I am new to geocaching and GPSr's. With my disclaimer out of the way let me ask for some opinions.

So far I am geocaching with a Vista HCx and Blackberry Pearl to hold my data detail. I'll create a PocketQuery and load the GPX file onto the Garmin with MapSource and onto my Blackberry using CacheBerry. Overall this works well but there are a few shortcomings.

Garmin

- I haven't purchased additional maps because I simply don't know what I should get. An email to Garmin resulted in a suggestion to buy City Navigator and then the update. Seems odd to purchase a product and immediately an upgrade to it. Still not sure if I should get City Navigator or their Topo product. (or is there a third party product that would work better?)

I got both. Depends on what is most important to you. Auto-route by car to parking and then follow an arrow, or self-route and then have quality topo maps on the hike to the cache.

- I'm probably doing something wrong but when I try to tell to take me to a loaded cache it directs me to the nearest highway even if I'm within 50 feet of the cache.

Make sure you are routing "off road" and not "by road". Look under setup...routing. I have it to 'prompt" to ask me the choice each time. Also make sure "Lock to road" is off.

- I'll walk back and forth trying to find a cache and notice my track is off even though I'm literally pacing. I really suck at finding caches.

Get within 20-30 of groundzero and put your GPS away. Use your eyes. This part of the game is experience.

- I don't understand why Garmin can't make it so you can load cache details onto the Vista. The screen is small but it seems it should be capable.

For that "native" you either needed a Garmin Colorado or Oregon. These will display GPX files in all their glory.

For more description on the HCX, you'll need to start using either GSAK which will allow you to automagically squeeze more info in or 2. start saving caches to your GPS as Points Of Interest (POI) which will also add a lot more info. I know that's vague, but google will help.

Blackberry w/Cacheberry

- There's no synchronization back to MapSource.

Not sure why you need this. You can record finds in cacheberry using memos and it will send you a handy dandy email with links to record your finds.

I actually mark finds on the GPS by changing the icon (and use a macro to interrogate the GPS and construct a field notes page for gc.com..again advanced usage but it's possible)

I'm using an older 8100 so I cannot say find nearest. I'll have to use the Garmin to find something close, then find that cache number on the BB. Not a big deal but a little annoyance.

- Can't sort by difficulty. Like I said I am really bad but I am persistent. Trying to find the easy one's nearby to continue getting my feet wet.

You might want to suggest "sort by difficulty" on the cacheberry forums. The author is VERY responsive. I like the idea of more sorting options. Until then, GSAK might be an option..maintain your cache database in that, and export a subset of caches (say , <3 difficulty) as a GPX file to cacheberry.

Edited by Maingray