The Best of Both Worlds

I really want to buy a GPS unit for my car. I was thinking about a Garmin Nuvi 260. But I also want something for geocaching. I know Garmin makes handhelds that can do auto routing on streets. But are there any that have voice guidance too? Are there really units out there that can do all this? Or am I dreaming ? :anicute:

Currently the handhelds do not talk. They also do not have the traffic update feature which lets you know if you are heading into traffic and then will reroute you to avoid it. The handheld will only change directions if you change from their recommendations and they will always try to put you back on route via the fastest correction which is not always helpful.

A handheld unit for outdoor use should be waterproof. Compromise on waterproofing or size - and it's not as useful a handheld.

So how to get your spoken directions?

Speaker? Without holes in the case to let the sound out (and water in), they'd have to be pretty big to be heard. Headphone jack? Another leak hole. Bluetooth headset? Maybe. Kills battery though - unless again you make a fairly hefty unit...

Edited by lee_rimar
I really want to buy a GPS unit for my car. I was thinking about a Garmin Nuvi 260. But I also want something for geocaching. I know Garmin makes handhelds that can do auto routing on streets. But are there any that have voice guidance too? Are there really units out there that can do all this? Or am I dreaming ?
The soon to ship Nuvi 500 series will do both. But, it's so expensive, cheaper to buy the Nuvi 260 plus a handheld.
I really want to buy a GPS unit for my car. I was thinking about a Garmin Nuvi 260. But I also want something for geocaching. I know Garmin makes handhelds that can do auto routing on streets. But are there any that have voice guidance too? Are there really units out there that can do all this? Or am I dreaming ?
The soon to ship Nuvi 500 series will do both. But, it's so expensive, cheaper to buy the Nuvi 260 plus a handheld.

I have a Nuvi 500. It handles trip routing better than my eTrex Legend Cx did (got it before the HCx came out.) It speaks, but does not speak street names (i.e. "Turn Left" rather than "Turn Left on Main St.") Overall, I like it.