COINTEST: Todies Wild Ride!

Rockin Roddy

key chain!

I am not very well these days! A good friend of mine, a guy who works with me, had an accident with his scooter! A car just violate a stop and hited my friend! He is alive but he is in the hospital! His leg broke in many pieces and he had to make a surgery, he has 7 stiches on his face, 20 on his arm... :)

And...he just lost his job! they told us that we will stay for 2 more months, but since he can not be there....he just lost his job!! ;)

It is... B)

key chain!

I am not very well these days! A good friend of mine, a guy who works with me, had an accident with his scooter! A car just violate a stop and hited my friend! He is alive but he is in the hospital! His leg broke in many pieces and he had to make a surgery, he has 7 stiches on his face, 20 on his arm... ;)

And...he just lost his job! they told us that we will stay for 2 more months, but since he can not be there....he just lost his job!! :sad:

It is... :D

I am so sorry to hear that Nikos, we send out our prayers and good wishes to your friend :D

key chain!

I am not very well these days! A good friend of mine, a guy who works with me, had an accident with his scooter! A car just violate a stop and hited my friend! He is alive but he is in the hospital! His leg broke in many pieces and he had to make a surgery, he has 7 stiches on his face, 20 on his arm... ;)

And...he just lost his job! they told us that we will stay for 2 more months, but since he can not be there....he just lost his job!! :sad:

It is... :D

This saddens me Nikos, know that your friend and his family are in my prayers! Another accident undoubtedly caused by a driver not paying close enough attention.

I've seen some good guesses so far, none even close. The camping equipment...mine, the GPS....mine. I often bought the equipment, Tod was always welcome and encouraged to use it! Tod had little money and, believe it or not, I used to have my fair share. I always paid for trips, took Tod out to eat with Kaleb and I (Or Kevin when he lived here), we did a lot together. When I decided to mountain bike, I bought Tod one as well, when we took up climbing, I bought Tod's backpack. Being single (I doubt there's many women that could put up with me, I'm always wanting to be somewhere else doing something else), I had ample opportunity to travel and do as I pleased....as did Tod (he divorced his wife a few years back, but they still lived together off and on).

Anyway...I drift off-course. Keep those guesses coming!

Thank you my friends! Thank God the driver said that it was his fault, but this actually doesn't change anything! He must be punished (sorry if I look cruel), so he will not do something like that again! The next person will not be "lucky" like my friend and he may not get up alive from the road! I phoned him and he was in pain! doctors are giving him drugs to calm his pain! I will visit him on Sunday!

Now... My next guess!

you brought back his ID card from the event! I mean the card with his name that he was going to wear, so other geocachers will recognize him!

I hope these cards exist, right? If not a card, it may be a pin, a sticker... well you got the idea of what I am talking about!!

Thank you my friends! Thank God the driver said that it was his fault, but this actually doesn't change anything! He must be punished (sorry if I look cruel), so he will not do something like that again! The next person will not be "lucky" like my friend and he may not get up alive from the road! I phoned him and he was in pain! doctors are giving him drugs to calm his pain! I will visit him on Sunday!

Now... My next guess!

you brought back his ID card from the event! I mean the card with his name that he was going to wear, so other geocachers will recognize him!

I hope these cards exist, right? If not a card, it may be a pin, a sticker... well you got the idea of what I am talking about!!

WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER

When I checked in, I was handed KAboom's and Tod's nametags. It was a real somber moment for certain, I had forgotten he'd get one. I put the tag in my motorcycle bag and just yesterday found it. It is now sitting in front of his picture, I think it's fitting!

One thing that really upset me at first (and I'm still sad about it), after we attended our first event, I stuck my paper nametag to the visor of my Jeep. Seeing me do this, Tod, somewhat smart-alecky, stuck his to the top of the passener side visor. It was there for 2 years until Tod must have taken it down at the MWGB (I didn't know, KAboom told me he did)...Tod died 2 days after. When heading somewhere a day or two later, I saw it was missing and it made me very upset. It should still be hanging there, Tod was often my co-pilot and still is today.

CONGRATS my friend, I will send info soon!

Good morning to all! Happy November!

WOW! I found it ?? I won?? Thank you!!! ;) It was a funny cointest!

Oh what a story!!! what an experience!!

I am wondering why Tod took down his tag! Sometimes luck or...I do not know what makes us feel so strange!!

It reminded me a story of one of my unckles! Actually ha was my mother's unckle! He was healthy, but one day he took his wedding suit out of the closet! His wife asked why he did this! they didn't have to go anywhere formal... He just replyed....Let it get some fresh air! I will need the suit! 3 days later died just like that!!! He was buried wearing his suit!!!!!

According to my mother, when he was asked about it, he was saying... I will die on Monday (It was friday or Saturday). He died on Monday!!!

I do not know if he actually felt that he was going to die... It seems that he did, but...??

Of course this has nothing to do with Tod, but sometimes luck and destiny is playing games that....

Keep this tag for ever my friend! Yes! Tod was and will be your companion, co-pilot! No matter if someday someone else will seat in the seat near you, Tod will be there!

Edited by GATOULIS

The coin I won is ready to travel! Thank you my friend!

you can see the coin at : TB1A5NC

:)

My pleasure, my friend!! THANKS for participating!

I wish I knew how to make those coins all nice and such, sorry, I don't know how to make the poem come out with spaces and such!! Maybe someone would be willing to help you?? I do appreciate the poem being used on the coin, it's such a great message (and very near and dear to my heart)!

More cointests coming, I have an idea about one right now and need to think it through a bit more!!

I wish I knew how to make those coins all nice and such, sorry, I don't know how to make the poem come out with spaces and such!! Maybe someone would be willing to help you?? I do appreciate the poem being used on the coin, it's such a great message (and very near and dear to my heart)!

More cointests coming, I have an idea about one right now and need to think it through a bit more!!

To make the poems come out in separate lines all I do is put br inside <> at the end of the sentence. If you want paragraphs put p inside <>at the beginning of the sentence you want to start the paragraph with. When your done with the paragraph you have to put /p inside <> and that will end the paragraph. If you want another paragraph do the p inside <> again.

Edited by Maine Family

To make the poems come out in separate lines all I do is put br inside <> at the end of the sentence. If you want paragraphs put p inside <>at the beginning of the sentence you want to start the paragraph with. When your done with the paragraph you have to put /p inside <> and that will end the paragraph. If you want another paragraph do the p inside <> again.

I tried that on a feew, but it never worked out?? I'll have to play around with one a bit more! Is there a place to make everything in html???

I tried that on a feew, but it never worked out?? I'll have to play around with one a bit more! Is there a place to make everything in html???

I'm not sure of a place to do so, but simple basic HTML can be used to edit an item. I have never had luck with doing it from the onset when creating a page or mission for a coin or TB, but have been able to go back and edit it after I've created it and it generally works. if you'ld like me to give you the HTML I used to create TB1A76A or TB1A7A6 just let me know and I'll email the info for it and help you or anyone that may want to add a little something something to there TB's or coins.

* note, I'm self taught, so there may be many questions I can't answer or show you how to do, but I may be able to help you find what you are looking for... :)

When your editing your trackable page this would be what it looks like. It is still all together.

Enjoy your ride. <br>

Be safe and remember we share the road.<br>

Most accidents happen because of a one second decision we make. <br> That one second might be any number of distractions.<br>

When you engage the ignition, engage the brain. <br> Keep your mind on driving, your eyes on the road and enjoy your journey.

But when you go to the visit the trackable item page it looks like this.

Enjoy your ride.

Be safe and remember we share the road.

Most accidents happen because of a one second decision we make.

That one second might be any number of distractions.

When you engage the ignition, engage the brain.

Keep your mind on driving, your eyes on the road and enjoy your journey.

The first few times I did it I just went by what it looked like while editing but then I checked the way it looked on the actual page and it did what it was supposed to.

I worte this oon another topic and thought it would be more at home here::

I have noticed bikes ALOT more lately. My awareness towards them has trippled.

But on the down side of this I have noticed alot of bikers are agressave riders,,riding very close the the car in front of them or yesterday there was one at the back of a pack of cars,,he speed up and weeved in and out of the cars till he was in front almost clipping his bike between the cars,,I tryed to yell at him to think,,but his pipes were so loud he couldent hear me,,,at least he was wearing a helmet.

mabie its just where i live. but geeeez no wonder we have theese coins,, crazy riders,, crazy drivers,,and everyones in a hurry to get nowhere!!

PLEASE ""THINK"" WHEN YOU DRIVE OR RIDE,, BE SAFE,, AND FOR GOD SAKE SLOW DOWN!!!!!

OK....NEXT COINTEST!

Wanting to get the word out to non-cachers, we have a mission for you all! This won't be simple, it won't be quick, it WILL take some effort on the winner's part and you will need to be willing to follow through! DO NOT post an idea unless you are willing to take it to the end!

YOUR MISSION:

Think up, plan out and give a bike awareness presentation. At a high school so you reach young drivers, at an elemetary school to tell of the need for helmets, any kind of public gathering where you can spread bike awareness of some kind! Maybe even a geocaching event where you include the presentation. You must think it up, post your ideas here and then we will choose which one we think can be carried out and will get out the best message! Like I said, it won't be easy, you'll have to be dedicated to earn this prize!

THE PRIZE:

Two coins...a 2007 LACKEY and a coin of my choosing (believe me, if this goes the way I'm hoping, the second coin will be as good as the LACKEY). The better the idea, the better the second coin!

THE RULES:

One post per day, one idea per post. DO NOT POST an idea you don't plan to follow through on! Best idea wins, I have final say! Make it as fun, as enjoyable as you want, just make sure to raise bike awareness of some kind!

You will be required to get pictures of the group you give your presentation to, you will need to be able to verify you follow through on your idea! Let's get the word out people, this is important to me and should be important to everyone else...it is our lives after all. A careless driver could as easily kill a person in a car as anyone else, remember that!

This cointest goes for a few weeks to a month depending on how I feel it's going, you will have plenty of time to follow through, but you do need to outline your timeline in your post!

Let's hear your ideas!

This will take some time and preparation...I've been thinking of some ideas for a while, even before you set the challenge. In the end, I'm not sure if I'll end up making any presentations, but might come up with some materials that can be added to the orientation packages that are given to new drivers at Swift(one of the largest trucking companies in the US). Then I guess the presentation would be convincing the Safety Coordinators to add them...

This will take some time and preparation...I've been thinking of some ideas for a while, even before you set the challenge. In the end, I'm not sure if I'll end up making any presentations, but might come up with some materials that can be added to the orientation packages that are given to new drivers at Swift(one of the largest trucking companies in the US). Then I guess the presentation would be convincing the Safety Coordinators to add them...

My friend, I wholeheartedly applaud this effort, I hope you can make it work!!

My goal (one I set for myself at the very beginning, before the funeral even) is to raise enough money to rent a billboard for as long as I can! A billboard is just one mile from Tod's accident, I would LOVE to rent that and put Tod's pic and a few bike awareness messages on it for all to see. This isn't cheap, my friends, and I will be working hard to raise money...anyone wishing to hold fundraisers to help toward this goal could email me for info and ideas...and maybe a little something to THANK you for your efforts???). I plan to hold a few bike/car washes, I plan to hold a bike run/poker run and I will be putting out those collection cans at local stores and bike shops! (those cans could also be very helpful to spread bike awareness if done up right) I am planning on doing everything in my power to reach this goal, it means a lot to me! I might even have to auction off a few of my prize coins (not sure I have any prize coins left and might just have to seek permission from some MYSTERY COINERS to help toward this).

ALSO...a new cointest coming soon, I might open a new topic for this one as I don't want to "muddy up these waters", so to speak!!! Watch for it soon!!!! It might just involve setting MORE coins loose, but I'll have to think about it because I really don't have any more to give out at this time (well, I do have about 10 actually, but not enough to seed this next project). More soon, keep watching!!

Ok, I've been sitting on some news, some news which I had hoped would change, but sadly hasn't except to get worse. Dad's cancer has taken a turn for the worse and I my time will be needed elsewhere....

Those fools in charge of the healthcare are playing god, and my dad is one that's been swept under the rug...I cannot express my true feelings here, but I'd love a few minutes alone in a room with those pretentious sonsa*(&((&*^. :)

I'll be checking in as time allows, just know I'm still trying to keep in touch with this! Carry on everyone, get me some ideas in so I at least have something to take my mind off of life....

Ok, I've been sitting on some news, some news which I had hoped would change, but sadly hasn't except to get worse. Dad's cancer has taken a turn for the worse and I my time will be needed elsewhere....

Those fools in charge of the healthcare are playing god, and my dad is one that's been swept under the rug...I cannot express my true feelings here, but I'd love a few minutes alone in a room with those pretentious sonsa*(&((&*^. :)

I'll be checking in as time allows, just know I'm still trying to keep in touch with this! Carry on everyone, get me some ideas in so I at least have something to take my mind off of life....

Rod We are so sorry to hear about your dad. Try to keep your head up and know that we are always sending our continous prayers for you and your family. Were always thinking of you friend.

Roddy, you and your father will be in our prayers. Diana (Johnslady56) in accorance with her Native American upbringing will say some special prayers for him tonight and will then burn some sage to help send the evil spirits that have him in their grasp to a far away place.

Oh!!! I am so sorry my friend!! Please, try to keep your head up! In moments like that, you must have courage!

Yes! sometimes doctors are... :(

I will pray for you and your dad my friend!

Burgessfour.... The doctor SAID WHAT for your mother???? :)

I am wondering if the doctor needed after what he said,....a doctor!!!

Rod, we will keep your father in our prayers. My mother had cancer and at one point the doctor had the audacity to tell us that we were "trying to shine up an old hubcap" :anibad: I know the frustration you must be feeling and my heart goes out to you.....

It's not the doctors who are giving us grief, it's the yo-yo's who OK the funding from his medicare (or whatever he now has)...they are holding the purse strings tight while the call treatments needed go unanswered. In other words, dad needs new treatments which will need to be paid out of pocket. For us, that's not good! On top of that, it's now back to Ann Arbor each and every day again (where this all started)...at least the gas prices have dropped, but it's still a huge expense. add that to his going to rehab daily...OUCH!!

I will be driving dad to Ann Arbor daily (most days at least), so my time will be spent elsewhere...but I will have access from the hospital and whenever I get the chance to get online from here at home!

I truly feel for you burgessfour. Having a doc tell me or my loved one this, I might not have been able to stop myself from going to jail :blink:

Those fools in charge of the healthcare are playing god, and my dad is one that's been swept under the rug...I cannot express my true feelings here, but I'd love a few minutes alone in a room with those pretentious sonsa*(&((&*^. :anibad:

I'll definitely be praying for you and your family for strength in this time of need. You keep focussing your mind and efforts where you are led, and know that we are all here, thinking and praying for you, My Friend! You have been most generous to many of us, and it is the least that we can do for you (at least for those of us who are so far away). God Bless you and your family.

Big news!!!!

Two of my three coins are on their way. They have traveled just under 3 miles. Even when you cycle that,s about half an hour to visite both (lol). The (2e) goal is to get them in the USA. I wonder when they get there, but who cares. I hope everybody who finds them is discussing save driving.

Thinking of you and your dad Rod,

Marit

Edited by Sivota

Some of you may have noticed that your coins have been popping up in caches in Rome and such...the Geopigs asked me a while back about taking some coins on their cruise. Rome, Turkey, Egypt...a two week tour! There will be some lucky coins getting big miles!

I had no idea which were going, I asked not to be told. I also know that the Geopigs have no idea who is doing what and where anyone else's coins are at, so there was no favoritism played here! Just some fun cruising with friends!

I've also noticed some coins making big moves around the world, a LOT of bike awareness being spread!! I've been happy to read some of the logs being posted by cachers moving these along...AWESOME!

I also have a BIG secret which I will sit on just a bit longer until I can OK making the announcement...I think you'll all like this!!!!!! I know I'm excited!

Oh...and the RED WINGS are winning...GO WINGS!!!

My children released their Todies Wild Ride coins. I sent you an email - hope that was OK or do you want us to report them some other way?

Will send another email in morning, but yes, please post the reference numbers here so we can track them!!

I think we're closing in on the end of the registered coins, Maine Family. There might be one or two more late comers, but that's about it!! :)

I'm surprised to not see any plans being submitted. is this new cointest too hard? Anyone willing to try but haven't got an idea can email me for suggestions or if you'd like to bounce ideas off me! A LACKEY coin and a coin of my choosing will be your reward, and I am likely to be very generous with my choosing!!! Come on people, let's go that extra mile and reach out to our local communities! More than one winner could be chosen, but only one person has come forward so far, so......

Well... I had an idea but I do not know if it will work and if I can do it, (my wallet right now is..., and I do not know if I can make it generaly)!

The idea came in my mind without even thinking of your cointest... sorry for that!

What is my idea....

To use the biker poem - with the ok of the maker of course - , and probably to change it a little to fit in Greek language and in Greek way for bikers! I hope you understand!

Maybe to put some other things too! maybe in the poem, maybe outside of it!

Then print it in papers and tape it outside of schools! The majority of the bikers here are school boys and girls, and these are the ones who actually do not care a lot about helmets etc! When they grow up they continue to do the same things!!! :)

The only problem with that is that I have no idea if this is legal! Putting papers on walls, on doors etc..... well...

An other idea is to give i in local newspapers to keep it for a week, but this cost a lot!!!! :)

Well... I just gave some ideas! I do not know if they are good, but...

Edited by GATOULIS

Well, I have been in contact with Rothstafari about our own section for bikes/caching, I received word to give him a call monday! Let's hope we will be given a spot to talk all things bikes!!! I am thrilled to be given this chance and hope we can make the very best of it!!

The Look Twice coins (not sure what the name of these are yet) that WSR has made really impress me, I can see they will be a BIG HIT!! I never would have guessed so many cachers were also riders until I started this cointest, I see now there are many of us WORLDWIDE! Not just motorcycle, but also bicycle riders, we all must look out for one another and practice safety when on the roads!

Life hasn't been the kindest to me lately, but I think it has taught me a little something...stay strong and continue on as best you can...life goes on and you must make the best of it as you can! With the help of friends, you can make it through even the darkest times! Well, my time has been limited because of everything going on, but I will continue on with my spreading of bike awareness, it is my one release of anger, of pain and of sorrow! I will embrace it and let it take me where it will!!

I hope this topic has helped change your life in some way...be it your driving practices, your riding practices or just your outlook on life! I know it has changed mine!

My cointest to present an idea to take bike awareness to your community has been slow in the responses, but it's a very difficult task and I knew only the most dedicated would come forward! I'm still hoping that some ideas will be brought into this thread or emailed to me, I'm still hoping for a few good citizens to stand up and come forward...we have plenty of time, my friends!!

I have a Rockin Roddy's Cachestalkers coin left for a cointest...let's see, what should we do??

I know...

COINTEST COINTEST COINTEST COINTEST

Show me your bikes!

This is a simple cointest which asks for one of two things, a picture of your bike/bicycle and/or typing out this saying:

"Bikes have every right a car does, please share the roads"!

Just post your pics here or type out that saying...please type it out and NOT cut and paste it my friends, if you type it enough, it'll be remembered easier! Of course, you can always post a pic AND type out the saying, I wouldn't hold it against you if you did!! :P

RULES:

Same as always, no editing, no whining and no more than one post every 10 minutes. I have final say, and I say HAVE FUN! Please type the saying out and NOT cut and paste, this is, of course the honor system and I cannot tell either way, but I hope most of you will follow through with this!

YOUR REWARD:

A Rockin Roddy's Cachestalkers coin to be released into the Todie's Wild Ride cointest! This will be allowed to enter the race and may just win you a bigger and better prize like a LACKEY!!! If the response if good, I might just find another coin to add to the kitty....so impress me everyone!!

Ready, SET.....GO!!!!

bike1_small.jpg

Bikes have every right that a car does - PLEASE share the road!

(OK...so it's not MY bike, but it is a sweet ride!!)

So far, you are the winner!! Anyone else want to share their bike pics or such??

f2d6bfe9-3210-468b-b4a0-6507b83bc05b.jpg

Here's my home-made motorized bike, I made this from one of those high-end Schwinns (not the cheap Wal-Mart special). This bike got me around quite well for more than a few thousand miles at 160 mpg!! It runs on regular gas, just pull up and pump it in! I had many requests for this bike, but never did produce more than 2.

ebcadecd-6696-4412-827b-65279628e06b.jpg

Notice the "pegs" (the pedals were loosened and then made into hanging footpegs)? The motor is a Honda 50cc. The mount was fabricated by my neighbor who works at a machine shop! We're still working on a new motor since they stopped producing this one, maybe one of those mini crotch rocket motors with the built in torque converter since we never did get the gear size right!

This bike went 40 mph in first gear (of 7), we never used any higher gear as shifting was a bit rough on the poor thing! A bit more work and we'd have perfected it, but my friend decided I should be on a motorcycle and bought me my first (which was later given to Tod).

"Bikes have every right a car does, please share the roads"!

Bikes have been put up for the winter here in Maine. In the spring the Kiwanis gives every second grader in the Dover school district a helmet and has a bike rodeo for any kids who wants to come. They teach safety, have obstacle courses and show the kids what might happen on the road in a safer environment. We have helped with that and will next year too. Spring is when the bikes are brought back out and with winter being so long that people forget that they share the road with the bikes. That is when we will be doing more for bike awareness.