COINTEST: Todies Wild Ride!

Rockin Roddy

very good initiative! cant promote safety enough! all the best wishes to your dad!

i use the motorcycle to commute and always wear a hi viz vest! I never leave home without it, even when just out for a ride. i promote the use of the hi viz vest. friend gave me a couple of em and they have all been handed out... so now I ride a Yamaha with a hiviz vest from Chevrolet .... LOL

and have put reflective strips on the side of the front fairing , on the helmet and around the topcase.

I think im more easely spotted at night then during the day :)

When those beams hit me I light up like a christmas tree....

Its baffling to see how many riders still wont wear hiviz vests or use reflective striping because not perceived "cool".

It may not look "cool" to some, but makes the "i didnt see you" excuse even less acceptable!

if you didnt spot the bright yellow vest and the bright headlights, what the H were you doing behind the wheel? fiddling with yer cellphone?

but amazing how filthy they get! and how quick they get that filthy, that's pollution for you.

here's me meeting Zwanske, a fellow cacher. I rode out on the bike to meet him; Thats his cache mobile on the right of the picture.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/fef3a4...4ebdce3e34c.jpg

as for the answer to the cointest : i'll wait to enter till the winning answer is

all the way to his bike

and his hands on both handle bars ;-)

RIDE ON ! V

PS:I already have a Biker bug randomly travelling. do you mind if it swings by you for a visit and then continues its travels?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1653427

got a cache nearby i can put in its GPS?

a05d1d2d-a696-4883-8907-043155150563.jpg

Edited by Guinness70

Hi Roddy,

I activated another coin today. Ref. TB1PWZ7.

I am sad to tell you I activated this coin because today a second biker, within a week, lost his life on the freeway in the Netherlands.

So your Bike Awareness Project a real necessity.

Thank you for initiating it.

Marit aka Sivota

Glad to hear your dad is doing so much better.

Hey how about

He took 2 steps, now he can walk 2 full length of the bars.

DING DING DING we have a WINNER!!!

Yesterday, dad walked the length of the bars and back (or twice)...today, he doubled that...4 TIMES!!! WOW! He's really looking good these days, he has his color back and he's really got a "sparkle" in his eye again!!

OK...today's cointest will start soon!!!

Hi Roddy,

I activated another coin today. Ref. TB1PWZ7.

I am sad to tell you I activated this coin because today a second biker, within a week, lost his life on the freeway in the Netherlands.

So your Bike Awareness Project a real necessity.

Thank you for initiating it.

Marit aka Sivota

Glad to hear your dad is doing so much better.

I am truly saddened to hear this, please stay safe out there!! We too had another death the other day, in a nearby city. THANKS for the entry, I now have it on watch!!

very good initiative! cant promote safety enough! all the best wishes to your dad!

i use the motorcycle to commute and always wear a hi viz vest! I never leave home without it, even when just out for a ride. i promote the use of the hi viz vest. friend gave me a couple of em and they have all been handed out... so now I ride a Yamaha with a hiviz vest from Chevrolet .... LOL

and have put reflective strips on the side of the front fairing , on the helmet and around the topcase.

I think im more easely spotted at night then during the day :(

When those beams hit me I light up like a christmas tree....

Its baffling to see how many riders still wont wear hiviz vests or use reflective striping because not perceived "cool".

It may not look "cool" to some, but makes the "i didnt see you" excuse even less acceptable!

if you didnt spot the bright yellow vest and the bright headlights, what the H were you doing behind the wheel? fiddling with yer cellphone?

but amazing how filthy they get! and how quick they get that filthy, that's pollution for you.

here's me meeting Zwanske, a fellow cacher. I rode out on the bike to meet him; Thats his cache mobile on the right of the picture.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/fef3a4...4ebdce3e34c.jpg

as for the answer to the cointest : i'll wait to enter till the winning answer is

all the way to his bike

and his hands on both handle bars ;-)

RIDE ON ! V

PS:I already have a Biker bug randomly travelling. do you mind if it swings by you for a visit and then continues its travels?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1653427

got a cache nearby i can put in its GPS?

a05d1d2d-a696-4883-8907-043155150563.jpg

Email on it's way my friend!!

OK, BrierPatch has very generously donated a few coins for this cointest, the coins are to be adopted to you and then sent out by me. THANKS BrierPatch!! The coin you are playing for is the Ten Commandment coin!!

Your mission: Each of you are asked to list your "Ten Commandments of Biking"...Thou shalt not...! Make up your list of the 10 most important "commandments" of riding, the winners will then put their Ten Commandments in the coin's description and give it the mission of raising bike awareness! The best lists will be picked by BrierPatch and myself.

RULES: BrierPatch and myself have final say, no whining, no editing, only 2 posts every 24 hours (starting from first post). Winner MUST name coin "Todie's Wild Ride:...." and MUST put their winning commandments in the coin's description!

Cointest will end Sunday night at 10pm Michigan time (EST)! GOOD LUCK!!

Hey how about

He took 2 steps, now he can walk 2 full length of the bars.

DING DING DING we have a WINNER!!!

Yesterday, dad walked the length of the bars and back (or twice)...today, he doubled that...4 TIMES!!! WOW! He's really looking good these days, he has his color back and he's really got a "sparkle" in his eye again!!

OK...today's cointest will start soon!!!

Congrats BrierPatch! And yeah for Rod's Dad!!!

Here is my ten commandments of riding a motorcycle

1. Avoid riding next to a moving vehicle

2. Avoid driving behind a pickup, truck or trailor, that could loose it's load

3. Never drive a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol or drugs

4. Make sure that you feel comfortable on your motorcycle before going off driving it, practice your breaking and know your reaction time if something were to run out in front of your or fpull out in front of you.

5. Always make sure that you wear leather to protect your body in case you wipe out on your motorcycle

6. Always wear a helmet when driving a motorcycle, regardless if it is a law in your state or not

7. know the rules on the road before taking your motorcycle out on the road

8. When a motorcycle is in moton never think of it as a motorcycle think of it as being a person.

9. Take your time while driving on loose gravel on the roads specially on corners, take it easy so you dont wipe out your motorcycle.

10. Always drive with caution and always allow yourself extra time, stop a distance back and allow more following distance behind a motorcycle because it cant always always stop in time.

Todie You Will Always Be Missed Our Friend, This is for all the other motorcyclists out there to help raise awareness for saftey when you are riding or driving a motorcycle.

no email received from you RR yet.

but I did some searching and finally get the picture

PM sent.

remember this:

1. when you get on the bike you become invisible. anticipate.

2. corners and bends : better slow in and fast out, then fast in and never out.

3. david & golliath is a great STORY

4. every off hurts wallet and/or body

5. the accident is 10% the pain, scrubbing the road rash out is the other 90%

6. wear protective gear on the bike: ankles, knees, hip, elbows, hands, back and yer noggin.

7. nobody uses indicators, anticipate

8. drivers brake for no reason. anticipate.

9. you braking in front of them is not always a reason for them to slow down. anticipate.

10. greet other bikers, regardless.

that got me safe thru 150.000km riding

Edited by Guinness70

I was searching around the net for some ideas and have come up with this list.

1 Thou Shall Not Pose

2. Honour thy authorized dealer.

3. Slow Down, No one has ever hit something too slow

4. The true vehicle is a motorcycle, Thou shall not put any vehicles before it other than thy Snowmobile

5. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's bike.

6. If thou hast overindulged in the fermented nectar keep thyself far from thy machine.

7. Thou shalt not pass thy brother biker who is in mechanical distress.

8. Thou shall not taketh thy turn signals for granted

9. Thou shall not commit importary (purchase of thy foreign motor bike)

10. Thou shall remember riding a motorcycle is not dangerous, having an accident with one is

That's something unique!!! Good thing to do both of you, my friends!!! :D

Let's try now....

there are so many rules you have to follow.... here are some that I believe they are importand!!! :)

1) Thou shalt not ride your bike without a protecting helmet! army helmets are not good for a ride!!! :D

2) Thou shalt not run with speed, more that the legal in the road!

the police penalty hurts your wallet, and the asphalt will definatelly hurt your....$#@@$, if something goes wrong!!! :D

3) Thou shalt never say ...I know the road, because I am using it every day, or similar thngs! You never know what is waiting you in the next corner!!!

4) Thou shalt not do stupid things when you are riding, just to show that you are an excellent driver, or just to impress someone else! If the other person wants you, he/she wants you alive!!! :P

5) Thou shalt not pass traffic lights etc, without looking first, even if you have to go first! checking the other roads will take only a few seconds, but it will protect you from serious injuries!!

6) Thou shalt not run with speed when the road is wet!!!! If the weather is not good, is the road for any reason has water or oils, be more careful!!

7) Thou shalt always respect the users of a road, no matter if they are in cars, on bikes or on foot!!! Respect them so they will respect you!!!

8) Thou shalt not drive when you are drunked, feel sleepy or if you took drugs! "pink elephands" do not exist!!! B)

9) Thou shalt not leave helpless a guy you so injured lying on the street! Never say that someone else will help him! that someone else is you, and....you may be the injured man lying on the street tomorrow, asking for help!!!

10) Thou shalt not make races against any other vichicle, a bike, a car or a train!!! Most of the times the only thing you can win is a good bed in a hospital or an express one way ticket to Heaven!!!

I tried to make it a little funny! I hope that is ok!

sorry if I made spelling or grammar mistakes!!! :D

"Ten Commandments of Biking"

Thou shalt not forget to be attentive

Thou shalt not trust the other driver

Thou shalt not drive thy motorcycle without proper endorsement

Thou shalt not forget thine helmet - even if your state says it's O.K.

Thou shalt not partake of alcohol before or during thine ride

Thou shalt not pass on the shoulder - besides, it is usually against the law

Thou shalt not weave in and out of traffic - especially if racing another biker

Thou shalt not speed - whether on road or illegal substance

Thou shalt not forget about inclement weather - it can wreck havoc

Thou shalt not forget that other vehicles are bigger than you

1) Thou shalt not pass when the light is red! when your light is red, omeone elses light is green! try to remember that!!!

2) thou shalt not speed when the traffic light is orange!!! (especially for the Greek drivers!!! :P )! It is a sign to slow down, and push the break, not to speed!!!!

3) Thou shalt not take the road signs as nothing more than road jewells or just police suggestions of the way you should drive! Every sign is there for a reason, every sign is there to help you!!!

4) Thou shalt always check your bike before you leave, and you must make checks often, if the bike, the breaks etc., are in good shape, the oils are ok, if you have gas....

5) Thou shalt not speak in your mobile or do whatever else (drinking, eating) during your ride!!! you only have 2 hands (except if you are the multi handed goddess from India!!!), so driving will become dangerous for you and for the others!!! In case of the mobile, if you have hands free... talk but go slow, and kepp the talk in short time!

6) Thou shalt not park whereever you like, just because you have a bike!!! there are special places for bikes, and the sidewalk is made not for you!!!

7) Thou shalt always respect the accessibility for people with kinetic problems! Never use their parking areas, never close with your bike their entrance!!

8) Thou shalt not ride when it is dark or it is getting dark, with your lights off!! the drivers can not see you!!!

9) You shalt not pass an other vichicle in road turns, or when the road is difficult and you can not see clearly!! The truck that is comming will probably not even understand that he hit you!!!

10) You shalt always carry your drive license, your insurance papers for the bike, and all papers for your bike!!! They were created so you can always carry them with you!!! Never let them expire too!!!!

And 2 bonus!!!! B)

No matter if your bike is an off road one, that doesn't allow you to destroy someone elses field and property!!

Respect all living creatures!!! I can understand that some situations can not allow you do many things, but if you can avoid hurting or killing a dog, cat, or a wild animal that is on the road, do it!!!

Fairyhoney, thesae are pretty good ones for certain, you are right on the target of what I believe BrierPatch and I are looking for! Not that the other entries are wrong or anything, just that these are great examples!

I think we need to focus more on bike safety messages than anything else, but we're getting some great answers! Keep them coming in everyone!

BrierPatch, what's your thoughts???

Ten Commandments for Bikers:

1. Thou shalt not buy a bike bigger than you can handle.

2. Thou shalt not weave in and out of traffic just because you can.

3. Thou shalt not forget your helmet and leather.

4. Thou shalt not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

5. Thou shalt not show off.

6. Thou shalt not race.

7. Thou shalt not forget to watch out for animals.

8. Thou shalt not drink and drive.

9. Thou shalt not forget there is a lot of power between your legs.

10. Thou shalt not forget that others may not be paying attention.

WOW, such lacking of participation?? You all realize you can win a FREE coin to watch travel, right?? Nothing lost if this coin goes MIA, nothing invested but a post! Let's get those Ten Commandment posts IN!! I will extend this cointest until Wednesday evening in hopes we get a few more participants as we have 3 FREE coins to give away here! Also, keep in mind that these winning coins COULD win you other prizes!!

To get this back on the front page, how many coins do you have on your watch list now? I know mine up here in Maine isn't moving very fast. But my nerd was picked up a while ago by ex harley bikers and there profile says they live in NM so maybe it will show up there.

So far, I have 53 coins on my watchlist with a few needing watched yet! This is AWESOME!! I am receiving emails daily about your coins traveling, I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I!!

Still plenty of time to enter everyone, please get those spare coins activated and ready to travel!

Just checking in and seeing how the cointest is going.

Thought I would give another approach to this. I did this real fast so it may be a little light.

R= Remember your helmet

I= Insure your seen

D= Defensive riding

E= Engine & Bike well maintained

S= Speed within the law

A= Allow time to stop

F= Follow traffic signs

E= Early arrival plan accordingly

L= Lights on, use turn signals

Y= You watch out for yourself

Still time to release more coins, please consider setting more free to spread bike awareness!!

CONGRATS on such a great trip Team Amaroo (your coin of course)! I hope to see many many miles put on these coins as the more they travel, the more the word about bike awareness is spread!

THANKS for all the emails praising this initiative, you all make me very happy! I am proud of each and every one of you who have joined in, THANKS!! I am not in this for praise though, I am truly dedicated to spreading bike awareness...but it's always fun to get a nice email, THANKS!!

The Ten Commandments cointest will continue until I receive the coins which shouldn't be too much longer as I understand it?

ALSO, I'm more than happy to give a newb a coin to enter this cointest!! ANY newb (with 5 coins or less in their owner's list and hasn't already received a coin from me) can contact me and I will send them instructions. THIS CAN ONLY BE OFFERED UNTIL I RUN OUT OF COINS...which isn't too far off my friends, so please get your requests in!! This is your chance to set a coin loose in the wild and watch it travel FOR FREE!!

in a hurry to get rid of em Rod? :-) refreshing to see such generosity.

THANKS for the kind words!

Not so much in a hurry as really wanting to spread bike awareness, I feel very strongly about this issue! <_<

Truly, this is my (somewhat selfish) way of giving newbs a chance to join in on the fun while helping me as well!! Newbs get to learn how to activate a coin, watch a coin travel and enjoy receiving emails from those moving the coin, while I get to watch the coins travel and help to spread bike awareness!!

It's been fun seeing people set their coins up and watching them move about, so it's all good! I also have fun explaining how to activate the coins, I hope you newbs have fun learning this as well! I'd have sent these coins out myself, so letting others enjoy them seemed like a better approach! While not giving much of a prize, I hope that the emails, the joy of watching them travel and the chance at a REAL prize through the cointest is making people happy!

I only wish I had more coins to give out!!

eta: If I have forgotten anyone's coin(s), please email me or post here as my mind often wanders of late! I have some of our Rockin Roddy's Cachestalkers coins in hand and will be more than happy to order more when these are gone!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Still time to release more coins, please consider setting more free to spread bike awareness!!

CONGRATS on such a great trip Team Amaroo (your coin of course)! I hope to see many many miles put on these coins as the more they travel, the more the word about bike awareness is spread!

THANKS for all the emails praising this initiative, you all make me very happy! I am proud of each and every one of you who have joined in, THANKS!! I am not in this for praise though, I am truly dedicated to spreading bike awareness...but it's always fun to get a nice email, THANKS!!

The Ten Commandments cointest will continue until I receive the coins which shouldn't be too much longer as I understand it?

ALSO, I'm more than happy to give a newb a coin to enter this cointest!! ANY newb (with 5 coins or less in their owner's list and hasn't already received a coin from me) can contact me and I will send them instructions. THIS CAN ONLY BE OFFERED UNTIL I RUN OUT OF COINS...which isn't too far off my friends, so please get your requests in!! This is your chance to set a coin loose in the wild and watch it travel FOR FREE!!

....with 5 coins or less in their owner's list and hasn't already received a coin from me....

Hmm...I have only 7 activated coins, but on the other hand I already won a coin for the race, from you! <_<

Hey, I am just kiding! :D

that is so generous of you my friend!!! WOW!!! you are great!!! :D

OK....TEN COMMANDMENT COINS HAVE ARRIVED, so cointest is now ended!! I will get with BrierPatch and we'll come up with the winners ASAP!! I just want toadd that these TEN COMMANDMENT coins are AWESOME!! Largest coin I have seen to date, WOW!! I wondered why the package was sooo heavy, that's because there's considerable metalage in these!

THANKS to BrierPatch for these great donations for the cointest, you have really gone above and beyond my friend!!!

I think I know the first winner...will have to find out how we rate these and we'll get back to you all!

In the mean time, come on newbs, still have coins to give away!!!

I only wish I had more coins to give out!!

Maybe someday, someone will send you a big batch? Will this thread be open through Todie's Birthday for the race portion?

First.....hmmmm, a big package??? :):D;)

Yes, I plan to keep the thread open (mods allowing of course) throughout the race portion so participants can post about their travelers' progress (or lack thereof as the case may be). I'm hoping to reward those who follow along with more mini-cointests on occasion as well as spreading the word while (hopefully) giving coins to newbs!

Maybe I should ask our friendly mods to get the answer to this!

ETA: The original end date for the race was 5/5/2009 (my birthday), as WSR mentioned, the cointest has been extended to 8/21/2009, which is Tod's birthday! Can't remember if I posted that, but it was my intention since I had extended the release date! WHICH REMINDS ME....only 17 days to get your coins released!!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

We are so glad to see that there is so many people here that have taken in part of this cointest. Val of sweetlife doesnt drive a motorcycle, bit I have one, that she bought for me, for a first bike, she screams. Hope to someday get a nice motorcycle so her and I can go riding. There is not a day that goes by that we dont think of Tod. Wesure miss him. Every time we are on the road and we see a motorcycle, so many thoughts go thru our minds. But doing this ten commandments has really opened up our eyes, not only for me as I drive my motorcycle and what things i need to do, but what to watch out for and look out for them bikers.

Thank You Tod for having this contest. It is been alot of fun reading up everyday what people have putforth for their opninions and such

Thank You!

We are so glad to see that there is so many people here that have taken in part of this cointest. Val of sweetlife doesnt drive a motorcycle, but I have one, that she bought for me, for a first bike, she screams. Hope to someday get a nice motorcycle so her and I can go riding. There is not a day that goes by that we dont think of Tod. Wesure miss him. Every time we are on the road and we see a motorcycle, so many thoughts go thru our minds. But doing this ten commandments has really opened up our eyes, not only for me as I drive my motorcycle and what things i need to do, but what to watch out for and look out for them bikers.

Thank You Tod for having this contest. It is been alot of fun reading up everyday what people have putforth for their opninions and such

Thank You!

OOPs Tod must be on my mind, I meant Rod thank You for having this cointest. It is been alot of fun. We are so glad that we got to give you a coin(Biker Dog) you been wanting in memory of Tod. We hope to be able to watch it.

I don't think there's any surprise this was both BrierPatch's and my favorite, expect an email shortly my friend!!

I was searching around the net for some ideas and have come up with this list.

1 Thou Shall Not Pose

2. Honour thy authorized dealer.

3. Slow Down, No one has ever hit something too slow

4. The true vehicle is a motorcycle, Thou shall not put any vehicles before it other than thy Snowmobile

5. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's bike.

6. If thou hast overindulged in the fermented nectar keep thyself far from thy machine.

7. Thou shalt not pass thy brother biker who is in mechanical distress.

8. Thou shall not taketh thy turn signals for granted

9. Thou shall not commit importary (purchase of thy foreign motor bike)

10. Thou shall remember riding a motorcycle is not dangerous, having an accident with one is

Although I HIGHLY disagree with the 9th commandment here, I like the majority and BrierPatch liked it as well. Here's our second winner!

Email with instructions on it's way soon, please take the time to read the first post of this thread as well as check out some of the coins so you have an idea of what I'll be asking of you!! :santa:

I'd give you a second coin to enter if you change the 9th commandment! :rolleyes:

eta: Third winner will be announced soon!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

WOW - I WON ! ! ! Thank you . These 10 commandments are what I am a firm believer in :)

I don't think there's any surprise this was both BrierPatch's and my favorite, expect an email shortly my friend!!

I could not think of 10 orginal ones...I kept coming up with the same thing as everyone else...but wanted to add:

Thou shall not ride between lanes

Thou shall remember the shoulder is for emergencies, not a special lane for motorcycles

Mixing and matching would have been fine, just as long as you injected your own thoughts as well!! THANKS for the post though!! Keep watching, more cointests coming soon!!

Sorry for the delay in posting everyone, KAboom and I have been hard at work planning an event as well as placing a night cache! Night cache was submitted last night, we're hoping all is good and the cache will be published for our event! BUT...now that that's out of our way, we're back at work on the TWR campaign!

Fairyhoney, mail on it's way as well as to our second place, Hiker24. I will also pick the third winner and you can all set your coins up for travel!! Remember that your message will be your Ten Commandments of Biker Safety posts, you can give them any side-missions you'd like as long as you post the Ten Commandments!

Ten Commandments for Bikers:

1. Thou shalt not buy a bike bigger than you can handle.

2. Thou shalt not weave in and out of traffic just because you can.

3. Thou shalt not forget your helmet and leather.

4. Thou shalt not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

5. Thou shalt not show off.

6. Thou shalt not race.

7. Thou shalt not forget to watch out for animals.

8. Thou shalt not drink and drive.

9. Thou shalt not forget there is a lot of power between your legs.

10. Thou shalt not forget that others may not be paying attention.

Winner #3!! These were all very hard to pick, so being 1st, 2nd or 3rd really has no meaning as you are ALL winners my friends!! Expect an email my friend!