Release Notes 8/19/2008

OpinioNate

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: August 19th, 2008 Release

4819: Google Calendar Icon for Event Caches

• Added Google Calendar functionality to Event Cache pages (next to the date)

4471: "More" link for hitchhikers on cache page

• Split travel bug history link on cache pages into two lists: history of travel bugs, and travel bugs which currently live within the cache

4622: Text change on the error page

• Fixed grammar on new 404 page

4735: Portuguese Cache Notes

• Hotfix: Added Portuguese cache note

4692: non-CITO events show up on the CITO calendar

• Hotfix: Fixed issue with non-CITO events showing up in the CITO calendar

We also have added PICLENS Cooliris functionality to cache pages for those of you who are interested.

...plus many more "behind the scenes" type fixes which aren't necessarily visible. Please reply if you notice any odd behavior. Thanks!

Edited by OpinioNate
4819: Google Calendar Icon for Event Caches

Those two have been around for a week or two already.

4622: Text change on the error page

[*]Fixed grammar on new 404 page

Good :anicute: although the "retry your previous request" link seems to link to "error.aspx", so it will give you an error anyway?

We also have added PICLENS functionality to cache pages for those of you who have the Firefox plugin.

Cool!

...plus many more "behind the scenes" type fixes which aren't necessarily visible.

That sounds good.

Thanks!

We also have added PICLENS Cooliris functionality to cache pages for those of you who are interested.

...plus many more "behind the scenes" type fixes which aren't necessarily visible. Please reply if you notice any odd behavior. Thanks!

You guys are awesome!

[*]Split travel bug history link on cache pages into two lists: history of travel bugs, and travel bugs which currently live within the cache

Actually, I think that is a needed improvement. There is a well known and very popular cache in my area where people often report that not all of the trackables listed in the cache are actually in the cache, and I think they may be confusing them with the history of trackables that have been in the cache, because there are so many trackables in the cache, that in order to see them all, you have to click on the more at the bottom, and before, it showed not only the ones in the cache, but the trackable history as well. I think seperating them is a good solution.

Edited by Dwoodford

These sound nice, but none of them seem to address the issues still being complained about from the last Release. :D

Had to think about that one... so you'd like them to stop all progress untill all bugs are fixed instead of moving forward with the things they can?

I had to think about that, but yes, I would, even though most of the things people are complaining about haven't affected me. If bugs just keep piling up, problems will just keep compounding.

Following this link immediately crashes my browser - both FF and IE. What is PICLENS Cooliris? Does anybody else have problems with the site? What is the website doing for those who can open it?

The page opens fine with Safari on my Mac, but on my Windows XP laptop with Firefox the page opens but the text is misaligned and overlapping. I am still trying to figure out how having it on Geocaching.com is a good thing. :D

Following this link immediately crashes my browser - both FF and IE. What is PICLENS Cooliris? Does anybody else have problems with the site? What is the website doing for those who can open it?

The page opens fine with Safari on my Mac, but on my Windows XP laptop with Firefox the page opens but the text is misaligned and overlapping. I am still trying to figure out how having it on Geocaching.com is a good thing. :D

The addition doesn't add any formatting content the page. It's only an RSS link in the <head /> section. So if you're having formatting issues, it has nothing to do with PicLens.

Ditto the browser crash. I'm steering well clear of this. Seems like one more piece of bloatware to slow down my surfing.

The addition doesn't add any formatting content the page. It's only an RSS link in the <head /> section. So if you're having formatting issues, it has nothing to do with PicLens.

No problem on my end - with FF

These sound nice, but none of them seem to address the issues still being complained about from the last Release. :D

Had to think about that one... so you'd like them to stop all progress untill all bugs are fixed instead of moving forward with the things they can?

I had to think about that, but yes, I would, even though most of the things people are complaining about haven't affected me. If bugs just keep piling up, problems will just keep compounding.

I disagree with this logic. Following it would mean no improvments to car safety, no improvments to software and operating systems, no improvments to greener solutions. You're also making assumptions the solutions to the issues are not being worked on and may be more complex with the new code than current release improvments were.

Ditto the browser crash. I'm steering well clear of this. Seems like one more piece of bloatware to slow down my surfing.

It's actually very fast and doesn't add any extra surfing time to the browser. It is a separate application that quickly pops up to provide an added browsing sensation when viewing the photo gallery. It's a very smooth scroll and very responsive. The slideshow feature takes about 5 seconds to start and you can view it with or without captions by simple placement of the mouse near the bottom of the screen. This is not an application that is called from the website but is downloaded and installed on your system.

The problem you are having with the website has something to do with the browser having a feature disabled or you don't have all your security patches updated.

The formatting issues are on PicLens/Cooliris website. Not with Groundspeak.

Hard to have confidence in their product if they can't get their own website right (though usually websites fail on my Mac, not on my Windows machine).

Mine didn't crash, but I think I will steer clear of this as well. The link brought me to a page full of moving, shifting, zooming images -- I felt intensely motion sick within just a few seconds. Whatever PICLENS Cooliris is, I don't want it -- it makes me queasy. icon8.gif

Ugh -- I'm feeling sick again from just remembering the site!

Cooliris is actually quite nice for browsing image galleries. Before I had to use the Ctrl+click method to open images in a new tab to keep from having to constantly use the back button to get back to the other images. With Cooliris there are several ways to navigate. I prefer to use the arrow keys. But that's because I'm a bit of a keyboard hound.

Hi the 'state' (or Region as we call it) field is blank in PQ's for the UK, states were in the previous release notes. Downloading individual caches is fine if the detail is on screen it comes across but not in a PQ.

Should we feel victimised over here :wub::wub: .

States are appearing in PQ's for the UK now so it seems they are now turned on for us. Thank you :wub:

while there are still serious bugs (java decrypt, line spacing in logs with Opera, wrong working friends list, ...

The JavaScript decryption was a feature that was never completely working, for instance when the hint contained an & (ampersand) character, so they removed it.

The line spacing thing is odd.

What's wrong with the friends list?

The JavaScript decryption was a feature that was never completely working, for instance when the hint contained an & (ampersand) character, so they removed it.

Great way of fixing a bug by removing the functionality... :wub: Anyway they said it would be back soon. Soon... and it's been nearly a month...

What's wrong with the friends list?

They never showed the correct hide count. AFAIK it only counts the active caches. Since the stat bars show the correct count it shouldn't be that hard to adopt.

By the way I really enjoy the new Cooliris feature but I am a bit grumpy that new features have a higher priority than bugs (whether long existing or introduced lately).

Hi the 'state' (or Region as we call it) field is blank in PQ's for the UK, states were in the previous release notes. Downloading individual caches is fine if the detail is on screen it comes across but not in a PQ.

Should we feel victimised over here :D:P .

States are appearing in PQ's for the UK now so it seems they are now turned on for us. Thank you :yikes:

Update States do NOT appear in the My Finds PQ. :P They appear in the unfound ones though :P

Don't know where to say this...but being still on dial up it now takes me almost 5 minutes to get to the "seek a Cache" click. I wait while all sorts of things I don't want download first.

Cheers, Plushcat

Edited by plushcat

I really like most of the updates. Unfortunately there's been a bad side effect as well. I used to be able to log onto the site thru by Blackberry and use the Hide and Seek link to find caches. The Search function no longer works on my BB. When I enter the information into any of the search fields and click on Go nothing happens. Please this please be fixed? It's a great feature on the road!

Thanks for an otherwise great site!

Bermudian

Thanks for the update Nate!!!!

Not sure what Cooliris is at the moment. I'll have to do some surfing and check it out.

One suggestion though. The next time there is going to be a major update to the site could a note be posted in the forums a couple of days ahead of time, or maybe in the weekly newsletter. I know new bugs pop up with just about any update but a major update to the site like the last one would have been nice to know that it was going to happen. It wouldn't have been such a shock just to log on and say whooooh what the heck happened.

Doing a great job lackeys!!!!! Thanks for the updates. Please don't take me wrong as there where some bugs but you guys where all over them with the can of raid, just a suggestion so it wouldn't have been such a shocker when I logged on that day.

But anyways keep up the great work and thanks for all your guy's (and gal's) efforts!!!!!

I am having a hard time using the maps though. I love the new ones that came out a few months back. The only problem and maybe it's just cause I'm using IE. But when you make a big pan and looking at a large area they take quite a while to load on the map. If I would step into the firefox world (which I need to just force myself to do) would that speed up the loading time of the caches on the google maps?? Or has this been addressed or asked about in a forum thread that I missed. I would like to see if others have the same thing going on and if switching over to firefox speed's it up. I don't think I would conside this a bug by anymeans. Just think it should load faster when panning around on the map.

Oh well, I just wanted to say thanks for your effort's and Jeremy should give ya an extra day off to get out of the office and go outside and play. :D Call it some on the job experience. :D I know a "training day".

Should we feel victimised over here :o:D .

States are appearing in PQ's for the UK now so it seems they are now turned on for us. Thank you :huh:

Update States do NOT appear in the My Finds PQ. :) They appear in the unfound ones though :D

I'm having the same problem as GusHoneyBun. Empty state /region information in the My Finds PQ. Booooooooo.

Would it be possible to set the forum avatar sizes back the way they were? 75x75 just doesn't work for some avatars.

I don't think the Forums were changed. For example, the forum avatar that I see for you is not 75x75. Of course, this larger avatar will now look compressed (to 75x75) on the main site.

Would it be possible to set the forum avatar sizes back the way they were? 75x75 just doesn't work for some avatars.

I don't think the Forums were changed. For example, the forum avatar that I see for you is not 75x75. Of course, this larger avatar will now look compressed (to 75x75) on the main site.

That's because I haven't logged in from the "Enter Forums" link under my profile. I want to change my sig line, but if I do, then I'll be stuck with a 75x75 avatar like everyone else.

Dang it, I got tricked. I just clicked on Forums on the left side bar and it brought me in and compressed my avatar. Now I REALLY WISH THEY'D FIX IT.

I don't think this is something they will "Fix" since it was an intentional change.

Just create a 75x75 version of the avatar that you want, and be done with it. Use border-filler on the pic if the pic is not square to begin with.

For those complaining about new features appearing while bugs exist -- there are multiple good reasons this can happen in software development. One is that new features take a while to develop and were probably already in process before the latest batch of bugs appeared. Another is that when more than one person is working on a project, areas of expertise vary -- for example you may be waiting for one person to finish a really important subproject because she's the best one to fix the bugs. You may know that some of your new features will make it a lot easier to fix a bug. Etc. I have no knowledge of how gc.com does development, but these would be common reasons in software development in general.

I have said before, and still say, that gc.com would do both themselves and us a big favor by maintaining a public list of bugs and requests and the status. Such a list would go a long way to answer this question as well as others.

That said, I also think Groundspeak does very well in providing regular (usually monthly) updates, with decent to good release notes. How many other web sites can you say that of? Probably there are some, but the ones I've encountered, I can count on the fingers of one elbow. Keeping a regular roll-out schedule takes a good bit of discipline.

Edward