Coins with agendas...what's allowed?

Rockin Roddy

I am working on several coins I would like to release, all with the mission to raise bike awareness. I was wondering, would it be acceptable for me to release a coin with the following mission:

GOAL: This coin is being sent out to raise awareness of bikes on the road! Please remember that we on the motorcycles (or even the pedal bikes) have just as much right as anyone else, but MUCH less protection! Please check your mirrors before changing lanes, look both ways and pay closer attention when making a turn onto or off of a roadway, we might be there! It only takes one hurried move, one careless push of the gas. When you begin to pull out, if we are coming and see you, we must make a split-second decision...that decision could be life or death! Tod didn't hit anyone, the truck stopped before pulling all the way into his lane...this didn't matter as Tod had already committed himself to braking. Once committed, there's no way to stop the chain of events which will follow. Please don't make us commit, watch for us and help protect us as we travel.

About this item:

In loving memory of Todie Phillips! Tod, 1/3 of Team Rod & Tod w/KAboom was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident when a motorist pulled into his lane unexpectedly. Tod (as we have surmised) likely locked his brakes and skidded sideways until he perceived he was safe to disengage the brake and resume. Unfortunately, when in a skid, bikes usually tend to skip if the brake is released (as I learned at the funeral services). Tod likely released the brake (just a speculation), the bike jumped and then grabbed before flipping several times...Tod rode it to the end! This accident was needless, the driver merely needed look and would have seen Tod there. This usally happens because of people being in a hurry. PLEASE take your time and help us arrive safely! PLEASE keep this coin moving to help spread the word of bike awareness!!

Would this be frowned on by TPTB...would it be something you'd not want to find while caching? I want to raise awareness, but I don't want to irk anyone and I certainly don't want to go against guidelines! Any thoughts??

Also, working out the details of a cointest, will be posting it soon! ;)

I am working on several coins I would like to release, all with the mission to raise bike awareness. I was wondering, would it be acceptable for me to release a coin with the following mission:

GOAL: This coin is being sent out to raise awareness of bikes on the road! Please remember that we on the motorcycles (or even the pedal bikes) have just as much right as anyone else, but MUCH less protection! Please check your mirrors before changing lanes, look both ways and pay closer attention when making a turn onto or off of a roadway, we might be there! It only takes one hurried move, one careless push of the gas. When you begin to pull out, if we are coming and see you, we must make a split-second decision...that decision could be life or death! Tod didn't hit anyone, the truck stopped before pulling all the way into his lane...this didn't matter as Tod had already committed himself to braking. Once committed, there's no way to stop the chain of events which will follow. Please don't make us commit, watch for us and help protect us as we travel.

About this item:

In loving memory of Todie Phillips! Tod, 1/3 of Team Rod & Tod w/KAboom was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident when a motorist pulled into his lane unexpectedly. Tod (as we have surmised) likely locked his brakes and skidded sideways until he perceived he was safe to disengage the brake and resume. Unfortunately, when in a skid, bikes usually tend to skip if the brake is released (as I learned at the funeral services). Tod likely released the brake (just a speculation), the bike jumped and then grabbed before flipping several times...Tod rode it to the end! This accident was needless, the driver merely needed look and would have seen Tod there. This usally happens because of people being in a hurry. PLEASE take your time and help us arrive safely! PLEASE keep this coin moving to help spread the word of bike awareness!!

Would this be frowned on by TPTB...would it be something you'd not want to find while caching? I want to raise awareness, but I don't want to irk anyone and I certainly don't want to go against guidelines! Any thoughts??

Also, working out the details of a cointest, will be posting it soon! ;)

There's already a slew of coins out there doing just this very thing. Check out the Motogirl Memorial Geocoins. A fitting tribute to a sad coincidence. ;)

I for one would be very very supportive of this coin.

And as one who also knew and loved Tod it would be even more poignant to honor him in his untimely death.

In my drive back last night I found myself waving at every biker I passed even though I am just a dweeb in an old car. I was disappointed that only one acknowledged my wave. (Isn't that ridiculous of me)

Anything that can be done to remind folks of the presence of these 2 wheeled vehicles is a good idea in my eyes.

Go for it!

anne

Hey, this is a loving memory with hopes of bringing awareness to something personal. It's your coin, so I imagine that it's quite alright - unfortunately, we geocachers aren't the only ones on the road :anicute: . GO FOR IT :wub: !

Point taken...but it's a start!! :cute:

I now have a new heart's desire too...I would be honored to own a motogirl Memorial coin!!

At this point, there is no official stance on TBs and Geocoin missions. I don't see any issues with what you have proposed.

Since a lot of folks may see this post (new thread, etc.) please note that I have now included a link in my signature line to the Groundspeak KnowledgeBase on trackables. Feel free to point "newbies" here to help them get questions answered if you don't Eartha or I around to do so.

Thanks!

At this point, there is no official stance on TBs and Geocoin missions. I don't see any issues with what you have proposed.

Since a lot of folks may see this post (new thread, etc.) please note that I have now included a link in my signature line to the Groundspeak KnowledgeBase on trackables. Feel free to point "newbies" here to help them get questions answered if you don't Eartha or I around to do so.

Thanks!

THANKS FSM, will do!

I now have a new heart's desire too...I would be honored to own a motogirl Memorial coin!!

Rod, I have a motogrrl coin you can have. It is activated but I would be honored to adopt it over to you. :anicute: No trades wanted. It is yours if you want it. It has no logs & no mileage.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Recently Maine lost a Cacher to Domestic Violence (Aefuss). I activated a very collectible and coveted Geocoin in this cachers memory. Go to TB1X0EB to see the Celebrate Aefuss Jeep Geocoin. We hope to keep this in Maine and New Brunswick Canada but want to share the message with the World!

In addition to the coin, we went to producing and putting out a non-Geocaching.com trackable which I will not name here. PM me for more info.

I see no trouble with sending out a trackable coin with a message. Hopefully the message will be shared with others.

It's your coin/trackable do as you wish - send the message you wish! Never Forget ~ Life is Precious ~ Today is the present ~ Tomorrow a gift!

Edited by hollora