best handheld with a large display?

Blufwatch

Have been using an E Legend for the past 4 years, works fine

wanted to buy extra handheld so more family members

can join in

but would really like something affordable

with a larger display screen for vision reasons

If the shorter battery life is not a problem, the new Nuvi 2x5W's are great. The combination of 24K Topos and the touchscreen is terrific for map viewing and only $200.

Even though the screen is 4X the size of my eTrex, the screen re-draws are significantly faster. Also the satellite reception is far superior, never had a lost signal.

As a bonus it comes with 48 state CN with a human voice with turn directions.

Here's a map:

SpoutLake.gif

I made this table to compare screens:

GarminCompare.gif

Edited by MtnHermit
Best handheld with large display?

As great as the N2x5 screen is, it is not a "handheld" unit. Portable yes, handheld no (not waterproof, dirt proof, rugged, etc.).

Theirs a $0.10 option that covers waterproof and dirt proof, it's called a ziplock bag . . . works great. I did an afternoon long battery test on Sunday, rained most of the time, the Nuvi sailed along w/o a drop. You can even run the TS through the ziplock.

I've taken my Nuvi on 3 backpacking trips and a few more day hikes, had no problems with durability. What do you do with your GPSr's? Drive nails? :anicute:

The OP is seeking affordable, hardly the realm of the CO/OR. It's possible to offer alternatives w/o slamming another's suggestions. Life is full of compromises, let's let the OP select from the many choices.

Sorry dude…I wasn’t intending that to come across as slamming you.

Zip lock bags are one way of doing things but I’m thinking that water damage will not be covered by Garmin. While pounding nails with my GPSr might not be a reality it can withstand being stepped on, dropped from the waist or dumped in the lake a few times over its life span without issue. Something that can’t be said about my nuivi. Being as the OP requested a “handheld” unit and used to own a eTrex I was thinking that handheld virtues like those above were important to him.