Groundspeak cache items at REI

AndrewRJ

I stopped by REI las night to pick up a new car charger for my GPS when I noticed official Groundspeak, geocaching fake rocks in the display case next to the GPS displays. ;)

While I was looking for the cable I found official Geocaching Large bisons capsuals.

I asked one of the employees there and he indicated that they just came in last week or so.

Just FYI ;)

The REI in Seattle has carried the above, plus the Groundspeak 'branded' (with the sticker) Lock & Locks and Geocaching log books for at least a month now, as we were checking them out by the maps before we moved.

It'd be pretty groovy if they carried everything in the Groundspeak store!

Edit to note that we haven't seen them in the Redmond or Issaquah stores... wondering which REI you happened to see them in?

Edited by intolerable

The REI in Seattle has carried the above, plus the Groundspeak 'branded' (with the sticker) Lock & Locks and Geocaching log books for at least a month now, as we were checking them out by the maps before we moved.

It'd be pretty groovy if they carried everything in the Groundspeak store!

Edit to note that we haven't seen them in the Redmond or Issaquah stores... wondering which REI you happened to see them in?

This was the Redmond store.

Well I guess i have been out of the loop about the other stores then. I guess geocaching is truly mainstream now.

I think I saw the bisons and log books in one of these stores in the last two weeks. Can't remember which store, as I tend to bounce between both.

I saw the gc.com lock-n-locks at the REI in Issaquah last week.

Great, thanks for the info! I typically go to the two above stores with my son, which means an army of 12 ft tall fluorescent green aliens could be standing around and it wouldn't be impossible for me to miss them.

Hi all,

I've already gotten some TB's with my employee discount! :anicute:

If your local store does not have them in stock, you can order them on the website and have them shipped to store for pickup...

Linda

Linda, I noticed this post and almost fell out of my chair. It is good to see you posting in here again.

Back to your regular topic.

Last night, I checked at the REI at Clackamas Town Center (Portland area) for items with Geocaching labels. They didn't have any. An employee checked and couldn't find any indication that they had anything in the store. I asked if they could please consider carrying some items. I purchased a bison capsule and a few other things that I could make into containers, guess I will just add the labels myself.

I was in the Redmond store today... mightyzinn noticed the fake rocks right away, but oddly, they were inside the GPSr case so you couldn't actually touch them without assistance. If he hadn't noticed them, I would have missed them even though I was looking for Groundspeak stuff...

Not into needle in the haystack searches eh? :)

I was in the Redmond store today... mightyzinn noticed the fake rocks right away, but oddly, they were inside the GPSr case so you couldn't actually touch them without assistance. If he hadn't noticed them, I would have missed them even though I was looking for Groundspeak stuff...

Not into needle in the haystack searches eh? :)

Especially not when I'm shopping with a 'enthusiastic' 5 year old...

Fake rocks, safely behind glass, but ice axes are just hanging there at eye level for him... good times.

Anyone checked Tukwila yet?

I didn't see anything Saturday, but I wasn't doing a full search.

The last time I was there, I looked for GPS units and they did not have very much of a selection. They probably don't have much other stuff related to geocaching. That was back in June, though.

Anyone checked Tukwila yet?

I didn't see anything Saturday, but I wasn't doing a full search.

The last time I was there, I looked for GPS units and they did not have very much of a selection. They probably don't have much other stuff related to geocaching. That was back in June, though.

They're completely Garmin eccentric and limited in models. Of course secure shelf space being a premium for gadgetry, one can hardly blame them.

They're completely Garmin eccentric

What are you trying to say about us Garmin users? B)

Just remember that TL is still using that old Maggie MeriGold that he has. I have heard rumors that he might get a newer Garmin sometime soon though.

or is that a MeriPlat? I forget.

I'm the Meridian Gold user. (Strikethrough mine) The comment refered to the fact that they don't carry Magellans, which would be important to a Magellan user like myself. That said, I'm looking at moving to Garmin myself.

Boise idaho REI has geocaching items in there store.

They also contacted me and had me place a geocache outside there store and talked me into doing a powerpoint Presentation on Geocaching. I agreed to do everything and we scheduled it several months in advance and they told me they should have a large crowd for the presentation so i got some other local cachers set up to help and we hid several types of geocaches around the outside of the building and I had six geocachers there to help and split up in groups to show everyone. This started at 7:00pm and when i seen nobody was showing up I realized i never got any notices from REI on the events for the month of September and I asked the lady in charge if they put it on the calender and she said they missed it somehow and they did zero advertisement for the presentation. One geocacher even drove over from Oregon but it was only 60 miles away and my drive was 50 miles one way. It was sad to see they are not orginized to do presentations. I did agree to do another one in the spring and I hope someone will tell there customers this time.

:laughing:

Boise idaho REI has geocaching items in there store.

They also contacted me and had me place a geocache outside there store and talked me into doing a powerpoint Presentation on Geocaching. I agreed to do everything and we scheduled it several months in advance and they told me they should have a large crowd for the presentation so i got some other local cachers set up to help and we hid several types of geocaches around the outside of the building and I had six geocachers there to help and split up in groups to show everyone. This started at 7:00pm and when i seen nobody was showing up I realized i never got any notices from REI on the events for the month of September and I asked the lady in charge if they put it on the calender and she said they missed it somehow and they did zero advertisement for the presentation. One geocacher even drove over from Oregon but it was only 60 miles away and my drive was 50 miles one way. It was sad to see they are not orginized to do presentations. I did agree to do another one in the spring and I hope someone will tell there customers this time.

:blink:

I'm so sorry to hear about how this turned out :ph34r: How very frustrating!! :(:D

Our Spokane REI store contacted our WSGA Inland Empire Chapter to do some trainings a while back. We've done 2 in the last 18 months so far, and they've gone very well. Due to liability concerns however, we weren't able to actually go geocaching with the class. Now the trainings are cross sponsored with Spokane Parks and Rec, and REI has donated classroom space, advertising, and GPSs to use for our monthly classes, and with the city involved I can now take folks caching for a few hours on a second session!

I hope that your next try goes better! :)