Micro Caches

Abitagirl

I just moved back to the area, was living in Louisiana. There are currently 906 caches within a 20 mile radius that I haven't done yet. Why are there so many Micro's? I don't mind doing an occassional micro cache, when they are clever and can not put a regular cache in the same area. But from what I have seen lately most of the micros are put in areas that a regular cache can be placed, therefor not a regular cache could be put in. People use your imagination. I lived in the New Orleans area and never saw so many micro's as I have seen in the quad city area.

I think a lot of it is that it is cheaper/easier to place a micro; no swag needed, no special container. My brother-in-law (who got us into caching), stopped for a long time because he was dismayed by the spew of micros popping up in North Carolina and his young kids like trading swag.

On the other hand, I guess if there were no micros there'd be less caches.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I think a lot of it is that it is cheaper/easier to place a micro; no swag needed, no special container. My brother-in-law (who got us into caching), stopped for a long time because he was dismayed by the spew of micros popping up in North Carolina and his young kids like trading swag.

On the other hand, I guess if there were no micros there'd be less caches.

Yeah, I'll go with the old "cheaper and easier to deploy" line. I looked at the Quad Cities. Iowa is way behind!! Moline looks to be a good 75% micro. There are boatloads of them along the river. Are you saying most of these riverfront caches could be larger caches?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Larger containers

1) are a little more difficult to conceal

2) are a little more expensive to buy

3) require a little more thought to properly hide

4) are heavier, bulkier, and therefore harder to lug around

5) have room for trade items (which usually cost a little money)

Because of the above, many people choose the cheap/easy alternative - a micro. For those who are willing to make the extra investment of time and money to hide a larger cache, please know that I (and my kids) really appreciate your extra effort.

From what I was able to gather from another thread, private emails, and other sources:

• You can carry several on you in case you find an opportunity to place a cache.
  • They are generally cheaper.
  • They are easier to palm while retrieving and replacing in a high muggle area.
  • You pretty much eliminate cache maintenance in terms of trade items.
  • They are much easier to hide than larger caches.

Supposedly, finders prefer them because:

• They are much more of a challenge to find.
  • You don't have paw through a bunch of junk to find the logbook.
  • Most are PnGs so power runs are more productive.

I might have missed a few, but that's the general idea of both observed and stated reasons.

Recently a gentleman started hiding caches in our area, some are the typical Walmart LPC types, but some are in small green spaces. When asked why he choose micros in the green spaces he did say it was a money thing. He already had the containers. So, yeah, there are some who legitimately have issues with being able to put out a larger container.

I just moved back to the area, was living in Louisiana. There are currently 906 caches within a 20 mile radius that I haven't done yet. Why are there so many Micro's? I don't mind doing an occassional micro cache, when they are clever and can not put a regular cache in the same area. But from what I have seen lately most of the micros are put in areas that a regular cache can be placed, therefor not a regular cache could be put in. People use your imagination. I lived in the New Orleans area and never saw so many micro's as I have seen in the quad city area.

It's what a huge number of cachers enjoy. If they didn't enjoy them, they wouldn't do them. And they get found a LOT.

Every place that sells ice cream, and every manufacturer of ice cream that you can buy in the supermarket sells their version of vanilla. It's easy to understand because nearly everyone enjoys vanilla. Not everyone enjoys Caramel Apple Crunch, which is why I can almost never find it (dangit).

To those that want to avoid eating vanilla, just don't buy any.

To those that want to avoid finding micros, just don't load them into your GPSr. PQ filters make this easier than creating a thread to complain about them.

Every place that sells ice cream, and every manufacturer of ice cream that you can buy in the supermarket sells their version of vanilla. It's easy to understand because nearly everyone enjoys vanilla. Not everyone enjoys Caramel Apple Crunch, which is why I can almost never find it (dangit).

That can't be right. I don't see the innumerable threads in the icecream.com forums complaining that there is too much vanilla. Clearly the ice cream eaters who don't like vanilla or who find so much vanilla boring, don't feel the need to start a new forum thread every third day to complain about it and ask what can be done to encourage more creative flavors like Caramel Apple Crunch. No one there ever posts that vanilla is not really ice cream or that we should ban 90% of all vanillas. Your analogy must be wrong. ;)

That can't be right. I don't see the innumerable threads in the icecream.com forums complaining that there is too much vanilla. Clearly the ice cream eaters who don't like vanilla or who find so much vanilla boring, don't feel the need to start a new forum thread every third day to complain about it and ask what can be done to encourage more creative flavors like Caramel Apple Crunch. No one there ever posts that vanilla is not really ice cream or that we should ban 90% of all vanillas. Your analogy must be wrong. ;)

I just checked over there, and there IS a thread about too much vanilla. Someone named Mr. T, with an avatar of a 35mm film cannister, made an analogy about hiding stuff in the woods and what if a lot of them didn't have room to trade and couldn't people just avoid what they didn't like.

That analogy was even less successful there than the ice cream one is here. ;):wub::wub::wub:

OK, I see what's going on here. I won't even bother with the simple and straightforward reason that the ice cream analogy is logically invalid. That is because there ain't nothing in this town but Vanilla anyways!! If you were to surf the listings in the Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois, you'd quickly stumble across a person(s) who joined the website barely over a year ago, and has almost 500 hides! It looks like 90%, maybe even 95% of these hides are micros. Has an entire City ever been designated a power trail? ;)

My feeling is the hobby is changing.

I know in my area, there aren't hundreds of locations to put Ammo Cans. Parks and Cemeteries are getting saturated and the urban areas are to muggle heavy.

My largest caches currently out are smaller sized locknlock's. You can put small swag, TB's and coins but that is it.

Besides we have a Ammo Can thief around these parts and some CO's are tired of replacing them.

Also, in these parts it seems like the new trend is to find "harder" finds. Thus Micros seem to be the trend of the day. There isn't anything wrong with that either.

We are, taken as a whole, mostly lazy, cheap and disinterested.

How many cars are in, say, a ten-mile radius of your house? How many of those are unique in some way? How many do you see being washed and waxed in the driveways each Saturday? For that matter, how many even get run through a car wash once a month? As a percentage, not many. We don't set out to own plain lame dirty cars, we just do.

Now imagine that guy that owns the unwashed Cavalier becoming a geocacher... you think he's going to be any more attentive, involved and interested in his cache than he is his car? Nope, he'll most likely treat caches the same way.

In large numbers we're the same way about caches. Micros are cheap, easy to hide, easy to maintain, easy to find... in fact micros fit our lifestyle, it's the uncommon cacher that maintains the spiffy nice cache at an interesting location!

This is not to cause a flame war or anything like that ,there has been to many on this subject, but maybe the OP can tell us the reasons for theirs hides

6 micros

1 smalls

2 regular

What were their reasons for hiding mostly micros ?

Respectably

Joe

BTW , I like all types of caches especially virtuals

Edited by JoGPS

-//- To those that want to avoid finding micros, just don't load them into your GPSr. PQ filters make this easier than creating a thread to complain about them.

its not the size, its the location, the experience.

ive done micros at monuments, chapels, historic sites, there is at least something to see.

but lamppostskirts... dumpster behind stores... parking lots...

if at least yer cleaning up a bit that ld be good.

would the lamppostskirtlifters stop geocaching if they didnt get a smiley for a find?

i would still be going for the nature multis or hiking trads, but i would totally disgard dumpster caches or lamppostskirts.

and you get these,

How long did it take you to claim 100 finds?

...and how many did you have in your first 2 months?

Edited by Guinness70

I think the reason so many cachers place micros is because..........

.........................................THEY ARE ALLERGIC TO A BIG PILE OF STICKS!! :anicute:

-//- To those that want to avoid finding micros, just don't load them into your GPSr. PQ filters make this easier than creating a thread to complain about them.
its not the size, its the location, the experience.

ive done micros at monuments, chapels, historic sites, there is at least something to see.

but lamppostskirts... dumpster behind stores... parking lots...

if at least yer cleaning up a bit that ld be good.

would the lamppostskirtlifters stop geocaching if they didnt get a smiley for a find?

i would still be going for the nature multis or hiking trads, but i would totally disgard dumpster caches or lamppostskirts.

That's fine, but all completely off topic.

This is not to cause a flame war or anything like that ,there has been to many on this subject, but maybe the OP can tell us the reasons for theirs hides

6 micros

1 smalls

2 regular

What were their reasons for hiding mostly micros ?

Respectably

Joe

BTW , I like all types of caches especially virtuals

Oh-oh, not this again. Actually, I think she only had 5 micros. But you're right, she has some 'splainin' to do. :anicute:

My brother-in-law (who got us into caching), stopped for a long time because he was dismayed by the spew of micros popping up in North Carolina

this seems common. I stopped for a while because I was in the same situation.

But then I hid a micro and it helped me to get over it.

I've hidden a few more recently, but that's only because up until a while ago I couldn't come up with any other good container for hiding caches in the middle of a lake. :anicute:

I was going to come here and complain that micros are causing me to have to run multiple PQs to get all of the caches beyond about 18 miles. But I decided to verify that first. It turns out there's roughly an equal number of Regular of Small caches (searching on each of those three sizes hits the 500 max at about 38 miles). I found that pretty interesting.

I tend to hide the smaller variety of cache including micros but they are not of the small container under a lamp post type. They are considered creative and unique. No film cans with cammo tape here. Many fit in with the environment in which they are hidden and took considerable time time to devise, construct and place. While I like the larger containers I dislike finding just another ammo can under an unatural pile of sticks next to a tree as much as many dislike the LPC's that populate urban areas. I much prefer the artistic concealment whether it be in the woods or along a parkinglot. It's the quality of the hide (both placement and container) that inspires, not the size. (carefull how you read that last line)

I was going to come here and complain that micros are causing me to have to run multiple PQs to get all of the caches beyond about 18 miles. But I decided to verify that first. It turns out there's roughly an equal number of Regular of Small caches (searching on each of those three sizes hits the 500 max at about 38 miles). I found that pretty interesting.
Many people are calling Altoids and mini-M&Ms containers smalls these days. Edited by TrailGators
Many people are calling Altoids and mini-M&Ms containers smalls these days.

:DYeah.

Edited by Dinoprophet
Many people are calling Altoids and mini-M&Ms containers smalls these days.

The definition of micro has changed somewhat as caches have gotten smaller and smaller. Altoids tins and mini M&Ms were definitely micros, in fact most of the first micros I found were Altoids tins. Now many people list them as small, so a search that shows an even number of small caches and micros may be misleading.

I just played with PQ results from my home coords. 10 miles from my home coords are 167 caches, 41 micros (I included the unknown in this group), 62 regulars (mostly ammo cans) and 64 smalls, mostly decons and lock and locks. One virt.

I don't live in an urban area. Strikes me as a pretty good mix.

I'll echo the answer to "why so many?" because they're cheap. Period.

The two best micro containers are both about $1 (matchsafe, bison) film cans are free, and the best small containers (lock and locks) are ~$3 + swag, log, pen, and an ammo can is gonna be $4-8 + swag, log pen. So it's about the money mostly.

I'm not agin 'em myself. I used to feel like a micro cache skirt lifter at Wally World was entertainment at Wally World. I'm no longer entertained enough to bother loading the gps and carrying it, but I'm fine with the reality that others are having fun with it.

Why are there sooooo many reality TV shows on TV?

They are cheap to produce, usually take little thought to implement, and the public viewers are watching them. Also if one fails, don't worry - they'll be another one just like it on in 25 minutes.

Why are there sooooo many micros being placed?

They are cheap to produce, usually take little thought to implement, and the cachers are finding them. Also if one fails, don't worry - they'll be another one just like it within a 25 minutes walk.

Why are there sooooo many reality TV shows on TV?

They are cheap to produce, usually take little thought to implement, and the public viewers are watching them. Also if one fails, don't worry - they'll be another one just like it on in 25 minutes.

Why are there sooooo many micros being placed?

They are cheap to produce, usually take little thought to implement, and the cachers are finding them. Also if one fails, don't worry - they'll be another one just like it within a 25 minutes walk.

So sad. So true.

One reason that there are so many micros is that they tend to "fail" less often than larger caches placed in the same or similar area. Micros are less likely to be discovered by muggles. And if they are discovered by a muggle are less likely to be stolen or blown up by the bomb squad. Some of the hide types that are most often called "lame" by some people are in fact great examples of how to hide a cache that can survive in a high muggle area. You can put an LPC in a crowded parking lot. A cacher will go right to the lamppost, lift the skirt, sign the log, and put it back - all so quickly as to not arouse the suspicion of a muggle walking by or even a security watching on the close-circuit camera. Even if security sees you and decides to check on it later on, they will be so relieved that this is just part of some game people are playing and not something criminal like a drug deal, that they may just leave the cache for the next person.

... Why are there so many Micro's? ...
Geocaching is a game.

People play the game to have fun. If they weren't having fun, they wouldn't play the game.

Therefore, people hide and find micros because they enjoy hiding and finding micros.

For us, nanos are not fun. We have learned to avoid them like the plague. I long for the good old days of tupper ware and ammo cans.

Larger containers

1) are a little more difficult to conceal

2) are a little more expensive to buy

3) require a little more thought to properly hide

4) are heavier, bulkier, and therefore harder to lug around

5) have room for trade items (which usually cost a little money)

Because of the above, many people choose the cheap/easy alternative - a micro. For those who are willing to make the extra investment of time and money to hide a larger cache, please know that I (and my kids) really appreciate your extra effort.

Amen to your thoughts. We are eaten up by them! We have so many, our guard rails are sagging and the Wal-Mart lamp posts are falling over!

P.S. Did I mention that every phone booth is weighed down and listing badly? :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

That can't be right. I don't see the innumerable threads in the icecream.com forums complaining that there is too much vanilla. Clearly the ice cream eaters who don't like vanilla or who find so much vanilla boring, don't feel the need to start a new forum thread every third day to complain about it and ask what can be done to encourage more creative flavors like Caramel Apple Crunch. No one there ever posts that vanilla is not really ice cream or that we should ban 90% of all vanillas. Your analogy must be wrong. :)

The main reason this analogy is wrong is I can add raspberries to my wife's vanilla ice cream and we are both happy.

... Why are there so many Micro's? ...
Geocaching is a game.

People play the game to have fun. If they weren't having fun, they wouldn't play the game.

Therefore, people hide and find micros because they enjoy hiding and finding micros.

For us, nanos are not fun. We have learned to avoid them like the plague. I long for the good old days of tupper ware and ammo cans.

The good old days are still here. You say you've learned to avoid nanos, so I assume you've also learned how to avoid micros too.

You can quite easily avoid anything smaller than the coveted tupperware and ammo cans you prefer.

Hooray for choices!!!!

Oh man, the Quad City area. Without even looking I know what you're talking about. And the cords on most of those, well they sure are not ideal (to put it nicely). There are many upset people over the spew that started last summer. Most of the caches are less than a year old. But when you have one hider tossing out of his car window 12 a day they add up fast.

Most of them if one would look they don't conform to the guidelines and permission was never gotten for any of them. On the Iowa side our reviewer is a bit more picky (thank god) and asks more questions when it comes to the questionable hides, and a lot less have been approved there.

All I have to say is learn to use your ignore list. It comes in very handy for that area. :D

But on the plus side is this has caused a surge of people playing on multiple sites now instead of just one, all because of "the bland hides". :blink:

Oh man, the Quad City area. Without even looking I know what you're talking about. And the cords on most of those, well they sure are not ideal (to put it nicely). There are many upset people over the spew that started last summer. Most of the caches are less than a year old. But when you have one hider tossing out of his car window 12 a day they add up fast.

Most of them if one would look they don't conform to the guidelines and permission was never gotten for any of them. On the Iowa side our reviewer is a bit more picky (thank god) and asks more questions when it comes to the questionable hides, and a lot less have been approved there.

All I have to say is learn to use your ignore list. It comes in very handy for that area. :laughing:

But on the plus side is this has caused a surge of people playing on multiple sites now instead of just one, all because of "the bland hides". :blink:

Oh, I remember this recently bumped thread now, and posting to it when it was new after checking out the Quad Cities on Geocaching.com Google maps. What's that guy who joined last year up to now, about 800 hides? :D

I vote for designating the entire Quad Cities metro area as a power trail, and all further cache submissions are rejected. :lol:

Actually, after checking the area out yet again, that may have already happened. Good luck maintaining your 500 micros placed in a year there, buddy, you're going to need it. :P Sounds like more than a full-time job to me. But I'm sure you're up to the task, seeing as you took the time to toss them out the car window in the first place.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

"Why are there so many micros"

Over the years, micros were hidden. New players game aboard, found the micros, and said"Ah Ha, you are supposed to place little caches".

More micros were hidden.

More caches found the game, found that many (a higher percentage every year) of the caches were micros, and now believe micros ARE the game.

I live in a very micro-heavy area, where it's not unusual for cachers to hide up to a dozen or more micros in a weekend.

HIJACK:

More and more people are calling what was traditionally a micro (find-a-key, altoids tin, m&m tubes, prescription bottles) "small containers" for the same reason. As more people do it, new players think it's the norm....and I get called a "cache cop" for pointing it out :)

Over the years, micros were hidden. New players game aboard, found the micros, and said"Ah Ha, you are supposed to place little caches".

More micros were hidden.

More caches found the game, found that many (a higher percentage every year) of the caches were micros, and now believe micros ARE the game.

I live in a very micro-heavy area, where it's not unusual for cachers to hide up to a dozen or more micros in a weekend.

HIJACK:

More and more people are calling what was traditionally a micro (find-a-key, altoids tin, m&m tubes, prescription bottles) "small containers" for the same reason. As more people do it, new players think it's the norm....and I get called a "cache cop" for pointing it out :)

You are 100% correct on that. What scares me most about the Quad City area is you've got two or three people that dumped out all these caches. When new cachers sign on and become active they think this is the norm. I'm wondering who or what will start next. :(

And ya I must agree, don't say a word to someone and tell them that's not a small that's a micro and point out what the size descripitions are. :lol:

The sad part is the cords for most of them are shot from the car where the person parked then get got out and hide the container within 100 feet and marked and posted the cords for where this person parked as the cache cords. :D

Then posted them anywhere from 1.5 to 5 on both the difficulty and terrian so this makes it better hard to PQ them out. Attruibes where also just made up so that doesn't help eather. It's been a bad situation for a while now.

Now there are some great caches somewhere in the middle of all that spew but trying to find the cache pages for them is very hard to do without just finding someone that you know takes pride in there hides and only hunt those.

Case in point.

Just after typing the above, this gets published in my area...all micro power trail placed by a single cacher:

powertrail.jpg

edit to add:

All the micros are in a very rural setting far from the nearest town, and a small (at the minimum) to regular cache would be better served.

The hider is the son of a local cacher known for micro spew and micro power trails.

Edited by Ed & Julie
HIJACK: More and more people are calling what was traditionally a micro (find-a-key, altoids tin, m&m tubes, prescription bottles) "small containers" for the same reason. As more people do it, new players think it's the norm....and I get called a "cache cop" for pointing it out :)
I've noticed the same thing. I think some do it to remove the micro stigma from their hides. I don't think it was a hijack because when some add micros to the small category they are messing people up that filter out micros.
HIJACK: More and more people are calling what was traditionally a micro (find-a-key, altoids tin, m&m tubes, prescription bottles) "small containers" for the same reason. As more people do it, new players think it's the norm....and I get called a "cache cop" for pointing it out :)
I've noticed the same thing. I think some do it to remove the micro stigma from their hides. I don't think it was a hijack because when some add micros to the small category they are messing people up that filter out micros.

Hmm. I see there's a new thread about "lying" about the size of a cache, although I haven't checked it out before typing this. I don't know, I think it's just cluelessness. I've seen a decon container, and totally huge supersized pill bottle listed as micros, but altoid tins listed as "small". These were all in my region though, it's very possible some people may be trying to remove the "micro stigma" from their hides elsewhere. They wouldn't fool me though, you'd have to wake up pretty early in the morning to do that. :lol:

Good point

More micros were hidden.

Here's what you are missing:

The new players who you believe think that the game is about hiding and finding micros are actually enjoying the game. Those caches apparently meet the guidelines and they are enjoyed. Therefore, perhaps the game is not the problem and those other cachers are not the problem. Maybe you should look inward to find the source of your angst.

Edited by sbell111

I don't object to micros; they have been some of the most challenging hides I have found. But I do agree that it would be best if the cache fit its surroundings. When I'm hiding a cache, I consider the environment. If it is a wooded area with room for a regular, I will go with that. If it is an urban area where a regular just won't fit, I will go with a nano or cleverly disguised micro. Both types get found often, and I have never had anyone complain about the size of the cache other than to say it was well concealed or camouflaged. I prefer regulars to micros, but you wouldn'y know that from my stats. I have sought many a micro and do feel a certain smug satisfaction when I find a devilishly concealed nano. :)