GEOASIS

I thoroughly enjoy my daily dose of comments and complaints from these forums, all the too many, too trashy, too microey, too dangerous, too crowded, etc, etc... makes for a good read. ;)

All the angst and issues that seem to plague so many seems like another world, sort of another caching dimension to me...

With the exception of a handfull of poor quality caches found while visiting in another city, EVERY cache I have found has merit.

Why? I must be smack in the middle of a Geoasis, cause around here we got no saturation issue, we got no prolific micro explosion, we got no caches in homeless camps. LPC? Whats that? Never seen one around here. :wub:

What we do have is a 200 mile radius of awe inspiring beauty, geologic diversity like no other, and millions of acres of public lands. We also have cachers committed to quality hides, a lightning fast reviewer, and plenty of caches to keep me busy for years to come.

I realize not everyone can be so lucky, but there must be dozens if not hundreds of similar places out there. Tell me so I can plan my next vacation... ;)

Where is your Geotopia?

My "Geotopia" exists in the Eastern Sierra along HWY 395.

I posted this on another thread but it belongs better here: ;)

Since you would consider flying. Why not fly for some adventure beyond one cache?

Fly into Reno, rent a 4WD Jeep and head south on HWY 395 until you get to Mono Lake.

You will encounter some of the most interesting terrain in the world between Lee Vining and Bishop Ca. And guess what? I have dozens of great caches (back meet pat) and there are hundreds more in the area. Many of my caches are on the favorites lists of cachers with over 10k & 20k finds!

But don't take my word for it. Read the logs and look at the pictures. Then look at all the other caches in the area. I spend at least a month in this area every year and I'm lucky enough to have family there. Oh, and Yosemite is just around the corner too.

A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack

66f1ba4b-c5b7-4a2a-8f3f-5c609c24aa04.jpg

Hardcore Sunrise or Sunset

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

Ode to Ranboze and bthomas

The guy in this shot has over 28,000 finds. ;)

4912ee72-36c7-41bb-9478-bb0625f3f223.jpg

The Secret Dirty Golfball Graveyard in the Sky

ae655b47-09c4-48f7-a7ce-f45af971b9dc.jpg

Fortress of Solitude

9411623e-cbe8-438f-b66b-8bf864974019.jpg

The FrogStar (West)

90574290-d5b6-4fb9-9814-710918141187.jpg

The folks in the above picture are the hosts (Monkeybrad and Scoot) of next year's GeoWoodstock VII. They flew into Reno from Tennessee and rented a jeep. Guess where they went before heading to GW6? :wub: My blatant self promotion of my caches inspired another group find and about a 180 mile detour to GW6. Their whole party let me know how much they enjoyed the adventure at GW6 and they only did 3 of my caches. :wub:

This picture seems to show how much Monkeybrad liked it. ;)56263e03-753d-49b5-be3b-f4e4ad5b9b7b.jpg

I got to see the smile on his face as he told me about it. :wub:

My "Geotopia" exists in the Eastern Sierra along HWY 395.

I haven't had a chance to geocache in that area but I'd love to spend a week traveling down 395 from Markleeville to Barstow geocaching and fishing the many lakes along the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada. I've spent several vacations near the June Lake Loop and Mammoth Mt. areas but that was long before I discovered geocaching.

The OP missed one of the most important criteria for a Geotopia; the local geocaching community. One of the things that makes my area so great for geocaching are the other goecachers.

Beautiful pics Snoogans! I'm reminded constantly everytime I go out why I love this country and those pictures have done no less.

I don't get the concept of oversaturated areas except when people just want to crowd a specific spot with caches. Here in Washington, we have over 13,000 active caches and I can still find places to hike 7 miles in just to get one. My geotopia is this state for the proliferant choices one can make to play their game.

The social aspect is a big plus too. Between the camraderie on the trails, or the cache machine madness, to the mutual enjoyment of milestones and adventures to sharing all of this at events.

Beautiful pics Snoogans! I'm reminded constantly everytime I go out why I love this country and those pictures have done no less.

I don't get the concept of oversaturated areas except when people just want to crowd a specific spot with caches. Here in Washington, we have over 13,000 active caches and I can still find places to hike 7 miles in just to get one. My geotopia is this state for the proliferant choices one can make to play their game.

The social aspect is a big plus too. Between the camraderie on the trails, or the cache machine madness, to the mutual enjoyment of milestones and adventures to sharing all of this at events.

Western Washington is definitely a geotopia. Many great caching options there!

We only spent a week there, and caching was a secondary activity at best, but I was highly impressed by the caches in the Florida Keys. All the caches, both those we went after and those we didn't, seemed to be in a location that someone had a reason to show off. Now granted it's hard to find a not beautiful site in the keys, but still. Caches pointed out some of the lesser publicized state parks and natural areas. I didn't see on in a big box store parking lot. I found myself wondering sometimes why there weren't more. "Ohhhh! That would be a good spot!" escaped more than once. But the local cachers went for quality over quantity and I really ended up appreciating it.

par-ty.gif

Edited by stites1

I'd like to second the Eastern Sierra along HWY 395 being Geotopia. We go camping up at Annett's Mono Village every year and this is the first year we cached the area. Did a lot of caches hiking around Twin Lakes and up to Barney Lake. It made me wish we had allotted a couple days to drive home so we could take some longer detours to caches farther away from the main road, but there will always be next year.