to all the 1000+ Cachers

doc1881

It took me 7 months and 1 day to do my fist 1000. 2000 in 13 months and 17 days. And yes I logged EVERY one of them. I plan to attempt my first 100 plus day tomorrow. I think I can get it done in about 12 hours and then again if I don't make it there are lots of hides to hunt at a later day!

I can't figure out how anyone hits 1000 caches in so short a period of time. I cache almost every day in the New Hampshire/Massachusetts area and think I'm flying with 172 finds as I write this. I really started going out faithfully around July 1st of this year and because of New England Winters, don't expect to go out that often when the snow starts to fly. Now of course it's easy to find untapped clusters of caches around your house and place of employment when you're first starting out, and in July and August I did OK, averaging a few per day. However, there is no way I can sustain this pace as I am already starting to burn out my home turf my goal by year's end is to hit between 250-300. Next year I hope to start a little earlier in the season, but with fewer caches left for me to hit, still anticipate only hitting another 250-300 for the year. As such, I'm expecting my 1000th to be hit in just over 3 years. How does anyone do this in a matter of months?

I can't figure out how anyone hits 1000 caches in so short a period of time. I cache almost every day in the New Hampshire/Massachusetts area and think I'm flying with 172 finds as I write this. I really started going out faithfully around July 1st of this year and because of New England Winters, don't expect to go out that often when the snow starts to fly. Now of course it's easy to find untapped clusters of caches around your house and place of employment when you're first starting out, and in July and August I did OK, averaging a few per day. However, there is no way I can sustain this pace as I am already starting to burn out my home turf my goal by year's end is to hit between 250-300. Next year I hope to start a little earlier in the season, but with fewer caches left for me to hit, still anticipate only hitting another 250-300 for the year. As such, I'm expecting my 1000th to be hit in just over 3 years. How does anyone do this in a matter of months?

Lately I have been averaging about 13-14 caches a day, which is around 100 a week. I have milestone'd weekly for about 14 weeks now. It actually took me 2 weeks over 4 months for the first thousand, and the second thousand was in about 2 1/2 months.

That's exactly what it was for me, a little over 3 years. This wasn't a perfect 333/year average though, there were much less caches around when I started, I know I made 200 in the first year.

Oh, I can only speak for the handful of people I've seen from my area, but they accomplish this feat in a few months by going out on cache runs with other "numbers orientated" cachers from the area; usually finding 50+ caches every single weekend, and they obviously start doing this very early in their caching career. I'm sure if you stalk errr, I mean surf the profiles, of some of the people who've said "1,000 in 4 months, 2,000 in 7 months", you'll see the same thing.

That's exactly what it was for me, a little over 3 years. This wasn't a perfect 333/year average though, there were much less caches around when I started, I know I made 200 in the first year.

Oh, I can only speak for the handful of people I've seen from my area, but they accomplish this feat in a few months by going out on cache runs with other "numbers orientated" cachers from the area; usually finding 50+ caches every single weekend, and they obviously start doing this very early in their caching career. I'm sure if you stalk errr, I mean surf the profiles, of some of the people who've said "1,000 in 4 months, 2,000 in 7 months", you'll see the same thing.

Uhmm...excuse me, but I started caching rapidly very early on by myself, not with some "number oriented" cacher from the area. It wasn't until I was at around 800 finds that I held myself to a specific standard. I enjoyed the game, and had a quick find rate before the idea of a "number run" came into my head. I have my share of caching in dense cache populated areas surrounding my milestones, but if you would look at my stats you would see it ISN'T about number runs every weekend, but that I hold a specific caching standard throughout my work week as well. I cache just about every day, and have had at least 1 cache found for over 100 days now.

Edited by BTBAM

Uhmm...excuse me, but I started caching rapidly very early on by myself, not with some "number oriented" cacher from the area. It wasn't until I was at around 800 finds that I held myself to a specific standard. I enjoyed the game, and had a quick find rate before the idea of a "number run" came into my head. I have my share of caching in dense cache populated areas surrounding my milestones, but if you would look at my stats you would see it ISN'T about number runs every weekend, but that I hold a specific caching standard throughout my work week as well. I cache just about every day, and have had at least 1 cache found for over 100 days now.

No need for the "excuse me" response. :laughing: I did pull your numbers as an example, but that was only because they were the only ones I could see while typing a response (you can only see the last 10 posts). Hopefully that will explain why my post seemed to be about you specifically, whereas my post was really about people I've observed personally. If you did most of that alone, that's quite impressive. I'd have to think there will come a day when you run out of "local" caches though.

Yea, I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and I'd say most of my cache finds have been in Dayton, Ohio, just because I enjoy the caches there more. A lot of people hide caches in trees, and tunnels, and just have ideas a little more outside of the box. Check out this cache for example, my #1 favorite cache.

No strength required, just ingenuity 2 - GC11AT5

No need for the "excuse me" response. :laughing: I did pull your numbers as an example, but that was only because they were the only ones I could see while typing a response (you can only see the last 10 posts). Hopefully that will explain why my post seemed to be about you specifically, whereas my post was really about people I've observed personally. If you did most of that alone, that's quite impressive. I'd have to think there will come a day when you run out of "local" caches though.

It took me 759 days to find my first 1000 caches.

It took me 699 days to find my second 1000 caches.

It took me 547 days to find my third 1000 caches.

And It took me 481 days to find my forth 1000 caches.

But it only took 87 days to go from 4000 to 5000 caches. Then again I moved to a new location and was with out my family for 102 days. In that time I found a total of 1202 caches with 1000 of those finds being done in 80 days.

High find count are really only a matter of cache density and lots of free time on your hand.

Team Sand Dollar

You folks are impressive. Maybe part of the answer to my slower pace is that around these parts, you hike into alot of these cache sites, so in a local park with 3-4 caches, it will take perhaps 2-3 hours to locate them all. If I'm on my way home from work, that's pretty much all the time I can squeeze out of my day. Even in the denser areas, I'd have a hard time doing 13-14 per day. A couple of days ago, I hit 12 in a single day (mostly urban hit and run types) and that was the most I've done yet. Before that, 8 was highest find count for a day. I've also noticed that some people get around faster using mountain bikes, while I'm puttering about on foot, so that doesn't help.