How do we change people’s attitude towards filing a DNF

lrosell

i'm working on a new kind of log: not worth looking for.
It's called the ignore button... :anicute:

yeah, but most of the time i don't get to find out it's one of those until i get there.

Same here but I refuse to sign the log when my fun meter hits zero. Why would I? I'm in this game for the smiley on my face and not the other one. :cute:

usually i like to reserve judgement on the lameness of the cache until i have found it. once i have found it, i will take the smilie for my trouble. i won't write a real log, but i'll take the smilie. those who know me know what this means and can save themselves a trip.

usually i like to reserve judgement on the lameness of the cache until i have found it. once i have found it, i will take the smilie for my trouble. i won't write a real log, but i'll take the smilie. those who know me know what this means and can save themselves a trip.

I can spot most of them from over 100 feet away. Maybe they need a DNHF log (did not have fun).... :anicute:
GC1AZYM

This cache is one I am hoping to get. In order to claim it you must have 100 DNF's and a screen shot to prove it.

I also like Lep's bookmark list of DNF's. I think I might start one. Like others have said, sometimes the story that goes with the DNF is just as good as finding the cache.

How many DNFs do you need to DNF it? :D
GC1AZYM

This cache is one I am hoping to get. In order to claim it you must have 100 DNF's and a screen shot to prove it.

I also like Lep's bookmark list of DNF's. I think I might start one. Like others have said, sometimes the story that goes with the DNF is just as good as finding the cache.

There are no DNFs on GC1AZYM. Perhaps this is a loophole: If you're short of the hundred DNFs, log the balance on GC1AZYM. (The description allows multiple DNFs on a single cache.)

:DKidding! Put out the torches and put down the pitchforks!

GC1AZYM

There are no DNFs on GC1AZYM. Perhaps this is a loophole: If you're short of the hundred DNFs, log the balance on GC1AZYM. (The description allows multiple DNFs on a single cache.)

:DKidding! Put out the torches and put down the pitchforks!

I looked at the cache page; punched in the coodinates; hit "Goto;" and then walked six feet towards it and realized that it was too far away so I didn't find it. So can't I log a DNF for it? It's pretty simple, I didn't find it. :D Edited by TrailGators
For a moment, think about what you do personally to develop this culture of best practices. When was the last time you thanked someone for writing a DNF?

This is something I try and do on a regular basis. Most of my caches tend to be relatively easy finds, so when I get a DNF that is normally an indication that something is wrong. I normally respond to the cacher who DNFs the cache with some sort of personal reply and thank them for alerting me to a possible issue via their DNF entry.

The advantage of owning so few caches is that it is a lot easier for me to offer this sort of "personalized service" to cache seekers.

WOW! There are posts in here from both sides. And, most are so adamant about their own stance on the subject.

If I made an honest attempt to find a cache, and did not get the opportunity to sign the on-site logbook, as stated in the guidelines, it is a DNF, and I will post that to the on-line log. Most times the explanation is included in the on-line "just because" it keeps the owner updated on the condition of their hide.

I don't log as many DNFs as I earn. I do log DNFs just not all of them. But it's not about the :anibad: it's about the other cachers thinking I'm an idiot for not being able to find their 1/1 that five million people just found right before me and, by the time I get home, eight million found right after (probably were waiting in their cars laughing at me) (I just know it!)

Now, I may be an idiot. I don't rule out that possibility. But I just don't feel the need to broadcast it over the internet to the cache owner. When I do, I try to come up with some lame excuse like, "Ran out of time!" or "Alligator tried to eat me!"

- Elle

Yea, if you notice there are lots of I's in most of everyones posting :anibad: .

My "personal" rule is if it takes longer than two minutes to find a regular cache, then its either missing, not listed correctly, or coordinates are off.

I move on and find another. I not going to take the extra time to list it as a DNF, I can always come back later.

There you have it - "I", "I" and I. Not really worrying about giving the next cacher or CO an idea about something going on with a missing cache.

Nice...

Does this come up weekly, or only monthly?

Changing one little word in what's posted to your "My Account" page might make a difference. Right now, when I log a DNF I see "DocDiTTo couldn't find The General (Traditional Cache)".
I've mentioned this too. The "couldn't" also appears in the email notification. The difference is small but significant. Fixing it won't solve the problem but would help a little.

Edward

Hi folks, just a quick observation on the OP’s question. Go to your, or anyone’s profile page, and click on the Geocaches Tab. What is obviously missing here? (Hint: DNF’s logged.) Some people, for instance the OP, proudly state their DNFs. Otherwise, short of scrolling through someone’s entire caching history, DNFs are hidden/overlooked/ignored. A proposal would be to have DNFs included on the Geocaches tab of everyone’s profile. No one’s perfect, right?

Will this alone answer the question??? No, but it could be a start.

i won't write a real log, but i'll take the smilie. those who know me know what this means and can save themselves a trip.

You could always use the random cache log generator found here.

I got:

This cache should be archived so you can save a little face. The kids will love this cache! TNLN and almost didn't bother signing the log!!

That'd do the trick.

The Heck With This!. Enough said. I think Irosell's even looked for this one

Every cache i go for, i log it. Found it, DNF, or needs Maintenance. I've got 25 DNF's to my name so far, most have been archived after we found it, two have been archived since i couldn't find it. I've gone back for some of them and have found them.

My caching partner doesn't like posting DNF's.........not sure why

I've had three in the last week or so that I didn't come up with...sometimes I log as a DNF, others I post a note..depends on what was going on.

Example..one I got to or close to GZ>.could not find the cache...that one I took as a DNF...even though it WAS a busy cache..and now no one has logged for almost 3 weeks. I e-mailed the owner telling where I went for GZ, so they knew if I was in the right area...if it needs checked..or if i was waay off and to wait and see if someone else pulls it up. No answer from that one.

Another we went to in flip flops..cat. 3 terrain...our bad...looked quick and decided to come back later in shoes. Didn't log anything there, didn't want to make people think it was harder then it is...or make the cache owner think there was a problem. Actually went back a week later..but ended up not getting there until after dark...that didn't work for us with no min. flashlights..so again..I didn't log anything...plan to go back..figure the problem is a glitch and not drastic. (thugh I don't remember..I might have posted a funny story of how I hear this cache laughing at us everytime we drive by it now...lol..but then again...I might have posted that on another forum talking about that same cache)

Third one was a multi/puzzle that we couldn't do..only because we were supposed to get a word off a memorial...I couldn't find the memorial..so I didn't take a DNF..but instead, left a note that I thought the memorial was missing, and e-mailed the owner how-where etc we looked for the memorial. He e-mailed me back telling me where it was...we went again..and it was REALLY gone. When I got back home to e-mail him again (we were gone for a few days w/o computor) I saw that while we were gone he went and checked it..and then disabled the cache.

Another one, we couldn't find..eventhough the hint told us EXACTLY where it was...we found what was for sure the "hollow stump" but it was empty...high muggle area..so we assumed it was gone. I don't count that as a dnf if it is really not there in the first place...so again...I posted a note telling the owner that I found the spot and it is gone...also e-mailed them where I looked...BUT never herad back form that one....others have logged dnf's for it..but it hasn't been checked or a note made of any work by the owner.

So sometimes, for us, a note works better then a dnf.