COINTEST: Completely mindless and boring

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Congratulation to the winner!

And Robert, I do not agree with you on the boring part. I enjoyed the cointest. After you gave the two hints <24> en <7> it was all a part of mathematics and it took me a few hours to figure it out. The only possible options were 1018, 1497, 1530, 1973, 1984, 1996, 2250 and 5671. Acaciahiker was way too fast for me...

And Robert, I do not agree with you on the boring part. I enjoyed the cointest. After you gave the two hints <24> en <7> it was all a part of mathematics and it took me a few hours to figure it out. The only possible options were 1018, 1497, 1530, 1973, 1984, 1996, 2250 and 5671. Acaciahiker was way too fast for me...

Could you Please explain why and how "24" and "7" equals what you came up with :) -

Yes, I AM clueless :)

Could you Please explain why and how "24" and "7" equals what you came up with :) -

Yes, I AM clueless :)

Oops, 24 must be 28, but...

In post #170 Robert wrote: "One guess so far is only off by 28". I put all the given answers before post #170 into a spreadsheet and + and - it with seven. The correct answer must be in that range (A).

In post #249 Robert wrote: "One guess so far is only off by 7. So I put all the answers given from post #171 till #249 into the same spreadheel and + and - it by. The correct answer must be in this range (:)

Now I know that the final answer must be in both range A as in range B. And then there are only a few options.

Finally a winner!! congratulations Acadiahiker!!

Actually there were more combinations than those. Robert clarified that he meant near 28 and not exactly 28 which opened the spreadsheet a bit further. He also gave another hint telling Ali she would never get to the answer using her method of choosing dates of important battles. That made me drop everything lower than 2008.

I knew that as soon as I started putting in statements it would lead to some mathmatics. I shouldn't have done that as it gave an unfair advantage to the puzzle solving bunch out there. I'm glad someone piched up on the 2008 part. That was very subtle, but it was meant to eliminate any numbers that were less that the current year. I almost put in somthing about notridamus? But I didn't know how to spell it.

It is harder than you think to keep from giving hints. I've ruined my own rules. I said there was only one hint, and then I went and gave a bunch more. What a dummy!

Another way to read the 28/7 part is just to find all the sets of numbers that are seperated by 14, and you're left with only numbers that are 7 away from that pair.

2250 :)

Congratulations acadiahiker!

My new address is

Robert Ayers

PO Box 2250

Salt Lake City, UT

84110-2250

USA

Thank You all for the neverending guesses! Three coins to the winner!

FINALLY :):) !

When I started this I intended to let it ride for a full week, but I just sent out a bunch of packages with the new address on them, and they should start arriving any day now.

Too bad you missed the 2008 clue as those two methods combined leave only two possible ansers (according to your post, I'm not doing the math) and if posted in order, you would have been correct on the first try.