Dropping coins abroad

ThePetersTrio

Hello all~

Before I get to my question, let me preface this whole thread by saying I know releasing coins into a cache is a risk that we all take when we let them go. I'm not looking for guarantees here - just information.

A local cacher has 2 of my coins and is leaving for Ireland in a couple of days. The one coin I'm totally happy about going abroad because it's goal is to get to Sweden.

The other coin she was nice enough to ask if she should take it or leave it here. Obviously coin theft in the states is a given and that will always be a risk. I've always wondered if there were "safer" states than others but realized it is probably not wise to generalize. But I honestly have no idea how much coin theft occurs in other countries. I have heard Australian caches seem to be the safest for coins.

I guess I assume that coins released abroad have a slightly better survival rate than those released in the states. Does anyone happen to know if Ireland is a decent risk vs. the US?

Maybe we could use this thread for people to give their opinion about the relative safety of coin dropping in their home state/country/continent....

Thanks!!

Hello all~

Before I get to my question, let me preface this whole thread by saying I know releasing coins into a cache is a risk that we all take when we let them go. I'm not looking for guarantees here - just information.

A local cacher has 2 of my coins and is leaving for Ireland in a couple of days. The one coin I'm totally happy about going abroad because it's goal is to get to Sweden.

The other coin she was nice enough to ask if she should take it or leave it here. Obviously coin theft in the states is a given and that will always be a risk. I've always wondered if there were "safer" states than others but realized it is probably not wise to generalize. But I honestly have no idea how much coin theft occurs in other countries. I have heard Australian caches seem to be the safest for coins.

I guess I assume that coins released abroad have a slightly better survival rate than those released in the states. Does anyone happen to know if Ireland is a decent risk vs. the US?

Maybe we could use this thread for people to give their opinion about the relative safety of coin dropping in their home state/country/continent....

Thanks!!

I would just worry about pin pointing an area as a "bad" area for coins. I enjoy coins coming into my area and would not want someone to read that my area is bad and not want to drop a coin here. Thoug my area in Northeast Missouri seem to be a good area to drop. We are lucky that local cachers take care of each other around here. I have checked a few caches that I heard were reported muggled or damaged and have checked in on them. I know that others in my area would do the same. Good topic. Thanks for starting the thread.

Koolbrez

Edited by Koolbrez

Prior to my rtecent sending off an additional 40 coins overseas, I had 7 coins in Europe and 3 in Canada and all are still in play. Of the 7 in Europe 5 have been in play since 2006 or early 2007. I have not lost a coin yet overseas. I have 16 that have been muggled or are just missing from caches in the USA (13 different states represented in the missing coins). I have coins that are either in or have passed through the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Luxumburg, Denmark, Czech Republic, and Italy.

We have 3 travelers abroad-

Frosty is a TB we dropped in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in August of 06, he actually made it within 160 miles of home about 3 weeks ago. We had to go in direction anyway so we thought we would stop and pick him up and bring him home...he wasn't in the cache and hasn't been logged out yet either.

Michigan Traveler is a Michigan geocoin we dropped in Florence, Italy in May of 07. It is still traveling somewhere in the U.K. (West Midlands if anyone knows where that is??)

Corky is a TB we dropped in Florence, Italy in May 07. Corky traveled throughout Austria until 2/08 when he moved on to the Czech Republic where he has been traveling ever since.

We will be heading to Mexico next week, I have a couple geocoins ready for the trip! I don't think you could say that any one place is better than another to release coins/TB's, it all depends on who picks them up next, and next, and next.......

This is just hearsay from others posting their gripes on the forums so take it for what it's worth.

The UK and Oz are slowly becoming like the US as geocaching over there becomes more mainstream and attracts some folks who don't really give a cold darn about others.

Hi, its Ragged Robin.

I have had problems with coins going missing and not be logged abroard.

Does anyone have the following in differant countries languages:...

Please do not keep this item!

This is a travel bug! It is no ordinary trade item! It is not meant to be kept, but should be moved on from cache to cache and have its movements logged at www.geocaching.com. Be sure to write down my number so you can log me! Thank you

I would like to add this mesage to my coins in German, French, Spanish and Dutch.

Can anyone translate for me.

Regards

Ragged Robin.

Here is Dutch for you:

Houd dit object aub niet!

Dit is een travel bug! Het is geen gewoon ruilobject. De bedoeling is dat het van de ene naar de andere cache reist en dat deze reizen worden vastgelegd op www.geocaching.com. Vergeet niet mijn nummer te noteren om me te kunnen registreren! Hartelijk dank!

Hi we have a bunch of travellers all over the place. Lost 1 in Norway, and one in oz, one a coin and the other a trackable pin, had a couple of TB's go AWOL then re-appear. We have a bunch ready to leave from oz, all that have been here a long while or aiming on a mission, so they will be off soon. We look after the coins we pick up and hope others do the same for ours, but there is always that unknown element, and we take the risk with trust and faith sending our travellers off to see where they go. We have 11 new travellers to release on our trip, with a distinct aussie bent, they may go missing, but fingers crossed they will all have a great adventure on their travels.

Cheers

Gayle & Mark

Here is Dutch for you:

Houd dit object aub niet!

Dit is een travel bug! Het is geen gewoon ruilobject. De bedoeling is dat het van de ene naar de andere cache reist en dat deze reizen worden vastgelegd op www.geocaching.com. Vergeet niet mijn nummer te noteren om me te kunnen registreren! Hartelijk dank!

Thank you

Dank

Ragged Robin

Hi, its Ragged Robin.

I have had problems with coins going missing and not be logged abroard.

Does anyone have the following in differant countries languages:Please see below, one person has wrien one in Dutch for me, and Dank to him.

Can anyone write in German and french and spanish..

Please do not keep this item!

This is a travel bug! It is no ordinary trade item! It is not meant to be kept, but should be moved on from cache to cache and have its movements logged at www.geocaching.com. Be sure to write down my number so you can log me! Thank you

I would like to add this message to my coins in German, French, Spanish.

Can anyone translate for me.

Regards

Ragged Robin.

Who had the coin insert label in Spanish, French, German, English that said " This Geocoin is a traveler, not a keeper. Please log the find at Geocaching.com and keep this coin moving lke other travel bugs. Thank You"? Cant find the site but I do have the pdf file.

Edited by IBcrashen

from yahoo babel fish site Dont ask me if they are correct, I have trouble with English.

Spanish:

¡No guarde por favor este artículo!

¡Esto es un insecto del recorrido! ¡No es ningún artículo comercial ordinario! No se significa para ser guardado, sino debe ser movido encendido desde escondrijo al escondrijo y hacer sus movimientos registrar en www.geocaching.com. ¡Sea seguro anotar mi número así que usted puede registrarme! Gracias

French:

Veuillez ne pas garder cet article ! C'est un bogue de voyage ! Ce n'est aucun article commercial ordinaire ! On ne le cense pas être gardé, mais devrait être déplacé dessus de la cachette à la cachette et faire noter ses mouvements chez www.geocaching.com. Soyez sûr de noter mon nombre ainsi vous pouvez me noter ! Merci

German:

Bitte halten Sie nicht dieses Einzelteil! Dieses ist eine Spielraumwanze! Es ist kein gewöhnliches Geschäftseinzelteil! Es wird nicht bedeutet gehalten zu werden, aber sollte an von Pufferspeicher zu Pufferspeicher verschoben werden und seine Bewegungen bei www.geocaching.com loggen lassen. Seien Sie sicher, meine Zahl zu notieren, also können Sie mich loggen! Danke

Edited by IBcrashen

Just a warning if you want to use these results from babelfish.

This is the English babelfish text you get when you translate my Dutch version (see a few posts back) back into English:

"This object does not keep aub! This is travel bug! It is no ordinary ruilobject. The intention is that it travels that of one to the other cache and these travel are fixed on www.geocaching.com. Do not forget my note number to be able register me! Thank you very much!"

If you think it's better than nothing, go ahead and use it. Personally I would keep looking...

I work as a translator so these issues are close to my heart.

Katja

from yahoo babel fish site Dont ask me if they are correct, I have trouble with English.

Spanish:

¡No guarde por favor este artículo!

¡Esto es un insecto del recorrido! ¡No es ningún artículo comercial ordinario! No se significa para ser guardado, sino debe ser movido encendido desde escondrijo al escondrijo y hacer sus movimientos registrar en www.geocaching.com. ¡Sea seguro anotar mi número así que usted puede registrarme! Gracias

French:

Veuillez ne pas garder cet article ! C'est un bogue de voyage ! Ce n'est aucun article commercial ordinaire ! On ne le cense pas être gardé, mais devrait être déplacé dessus de la cachette à la cachette et faire noter ses mouvements chez www.geocaching.com. Soyez sûr de noter mon nombre ainsi vous pouvez me noter ! Merci

German:

Bitte halten Sie nicht dieses Einzelteil! Dieses ist eine Spielraumwanze! Es ist kein gewöhnliches Geschäftseinzelteil! Es wird nicht bedeutet gehalten zu werden, aber sollte an von Pufferspeicher zu Pufferspeicher verschoben werden und seine Bewegungen bei www.geocaching.com loggen lassen. Seien Sie sicher, meine Zahl zu notieren, also können Sie mich loggen! Danke

German:

Well, the German does not sound good, someone who does not know ablóut it already wouldn´t understand it...

When I have more time I am gonna give a better translation...

Hi there,

here comes the german version (the babelfish version is really funny, but I don't think that anybody who doesn't already know what a geocoin is can understand it):

Bitte behalte diese Geocoin nicht!

Dies ist ein travel bug, kein normaler Tauschgegenstand! Sie soll nicht behalten werden, sondern von Cache zu Cache wandern, dabei kann man ihre Reise auf www.geocaching.com verfolgen. Denk dran, die Nummer zu notieren, so dass Du die Coin loggen kannst! Danke!

But if you want to add so many different languages, I would recommend to use a shorter text:

Dies ist kein normaler Tauschgegenstand! Bitte bring sie in den nächsten Cache und logge sie mit dem tracking code (auf der Rueckseite) unter www.geocaching.com. Danke!

(Translation: This is not a regular trade item. Please bring it to the next cache and log it with the tracking code on the back at www.geocaching.com. Thank you!)

"auf der Rückseite" means on the back. If the tacking code is on the edge change it to: "am Rand"

Well, I wish a good journey to all your coins :-)

Gute Reise!

Chur

-//-

French:

-//-

my written french is not 100%, but THAT^ translation is not gonna be appreciated by the chauvinistic frenchmen!

the black bit is ok, the red bit is ... :anibad: rather silly really

i had a go at it :

Veuillez pas gardez cette pièce. C'est un bug voyageur, elle n'a pas de valeur monnaietaire. On n'est pas sensé de la garder car l'idée est qu'elle voyage de cache à cache et que ces voyages soient enregistrés sur www.geocaching.com . Pour cela il faut noter le numéro que vous trouverez sur la pièce.

not sure what you mean with "not a regular trade item"

Edited by Guinness70

Okay - I've watched all the comments about coins & TBs going missing in the states....

so I've been cheeky!

New geocoin with a specific goal.

TB2C99J Prove them wrong USA!

I've yet to send it on it's journey.... but the accompanying note is

Some geocoin owners say ALL coins in the US caches get stolen. Now prove them wrong.

From New Zealand to the US…..Keep moving around the US until stolen. How many moves? Prove them all wrong please. Released Sept 2008.

Now - that's just one small cacher in the south Pacific, watching with curiosity as to whether there is any truth in the rumours...

BTW - I've had TBs go missing here in NZ, usually through cache destruction etc.