GSAK non-geocache waypoints

How do people deal with waypoints that aren't geocaches in GSAK?

For example, I have a set of waypoints that I'd like to keep in my GPSr no matter what else I load in there. For example, I'd like to keep my home, office, etc.

If I put those points in GSAK just like any other cache, the names will get mangled (smart names, waypoint strings, etc.) when they get transferred to the GPSr.

So, what's the solution here? Should I maintain a set of waypoints outside of GSAK that I have to upload separately? Macro? Am I missing some obvious setting?

Thanks!

I was thinking this very thing this morning. My dad will be becoming new owner of our 60cs very soon. He's a fisherman, not geocacher. I was thinking what software I was going to install for him to manage his fish waypoints. I'm thinking of looking at Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager that comes with MapSource City Select. We never installed it because we have GSAK too. But since he's getting our old City Select too, if it works, it will be an easy package for him.

Other option, I was going to look at something like easy GPS. He's older & not as computer savy as us so it needs to be easy.

For example, I have a set of waypoints that I'd like to keep in my GPSr no matter what else I load in there. For example, I'd like to keep my home, office, etc.

If I put those points in GSAK just like any other cache, the names will get mangled (smart names, waypoint strings, etc.) when they get transferred to the GPSr.

So, what's the solution here? Should I maintain a set of waypoints outside of GSAK that I have to upload separately? Macro? Am I missing some obvious setting?

Thanks!

How about like a benchmark? Code is some sort of string, say, SP0001, SP0002, etc. Waypoint name SP0001, etc, container is other, type is other and so on. I've loaded benchmarks into GSAK and then to the GPSr with no problems. If this doesn't float your boat, as suggested go to the GSAK general forum and someone will come up with something.

Jim

I create/edit/manage those sorts of waypoints in Mapsource and then export them to a .GPX file which I then load onto the GPSr as Custom Points of Interest using Garmin's POI Loader. I leave GSAK for Geocaches.

Naturally, this only works if you have a GPSr which supports custom POIs.

If the only thing you're worried about is mangling of names because of "Smartnames", that's easy to override. Just edit the point in GSAK (right click and edit this waypoint); next to the Smartname box click the "Check to override" box, then type what you want.

I was thinking this very thing this morning. My dad will be becoming new owner of our 60cs very soon. He's a fisherman, not geocacher. I was thinking what software I was going to install for him to manage his fish waypoints. I'm thinking of looking at Garmin's Trip & Waypoint Manager that comes with MapSource City Select. We never installed it because we have GSAK too. But since he's getting our old City Select too, if it works, it will be an easy package for him.

Other option, I was going to look at something like easy GPS. He's older & not as computer savy as us so it needs to be easy.

Mapsource would work good for that. The "basic" version comes with all Garmins. It's the same program overall whether you have topos or City Navigator installed. The only difference is the detail of the maps shown.

It's also good for "sucking waypoints" off the GPS, like if you hide a multi. You can just copy & paste the coords to GC.com, eliminating having to type them manually and possibly making a typo.

For your dad, you could load up the GPS with all kinds of waypoints for him, use fancy icons for fishing spots, a different one for parking and so on. Ohhh, the possibilities. ;)