Knigge or what is polite? vol 1

You reach the Coordinates of a Cache or a Stage of a Cache and you see another person/a group of other persons searching there. This person/theese persons having Caching-Logos on their cloths so that you can be sure that he/she/they are other Cacher(s).

How would you act?

(1) I would wait and if they find something I will go to them and say hello.

(2) I would go over to them say hello and we search together.

(3) I would go over to them say hello and we search together but if I find something I say nothing. The result is, that we don't find anything. So we leave the location. I would go an other way, wait until they disappeared and then I will log the Station/the Cache. Especially if this meight be a chance to get an FTF.

(4) I would ignore them and wait until they left.

You reach the Coordinates of a Cache or a Stage of a Cache and you see another person/a group of other persons searching there. This person/theese persons having Caching-Logos on their cloths so that you can be sure that he/she/they are other Cacher(s).

How would you act?

That is if they didn't mind. :rolleyes:

I think the best solution is the second, probably because that's what we always do! The other option I think is fine is simply leaving and returning later, but I wouldn't advise hanging around and watching them without telling them who you are. That would be kind of creepy and rude. We have made many new caching friends by introducing ourselves and searching together with other cachers we meet on the trail.

i used to be the friendly type, but now there are some cachers i have never met and don't want to meet them, so i'd probably hang out somewhere nearby creepy if i'd come any significant distance to find the cache.

habitually these days if i see another person on the trail who i think might be a geocacher, i hide my gps and attempt to appear like "just" a hiker or birder.

i have not been approached, but if approached i am prepared to give a false name.

Flask

The cachers I meet are very friendly and I have not met any who have not welcomed the chat. These include cachers of many nationalities.

Why allow the few cachers you do not wish to meet spoil the rewarding experience of meeting the majority of cachers who are friendly.

By all means give a false name if you wish to remain anonymous. It is intriguing that one can easily remain anonymous in the forums but that is not 'real' life!! Or is it??

Go out and enjoy the extended caching family where all are welcome.

I would welcome a chat with you as a fellow cacher regardless of all else.

How would you act?

(3) I would go over to them say hello and we search together but if I find something I say nothing. The result is, that we don't find anything. So we leave the location. I would go an other way, wait until they disappeared and then I will log the Station/the Cache. Especially if this meight be a chance to get an FTF.

(5) Play with them a little - Introduce yourself as the local authoritative figure (property owner, manager etc.. NOT a LEO) and you want to know just exactly what they are upto and see how they react for a few minutes.. then break in with some well earned laughter, fess up and cache along with them. You may end up with some new caching buddies!

Flask

The cachers I meet are very friendly and I have not met any who have not welcomed the chat. These include cachers of many nationalities.

Why allow the few cachers you do not wish to meet spoil the rewarding experience of meeting the majority of cachers who are friendly.

By all means give a false name if you wish to remain anonymous. It is intriguing that one can easily remain anonymous in the forums but that is not 'real' life!! Or is it??

Go out and enjoy the extended caching family where all are welcome.

I would welcome a chat with you as a fellow cacher regardless of all else.

i am not afraid that cachers will be unfriendly; i am afraid that i will not be able to offer up even basic politeness to a few cachers who by their actions have made me exceptionally uncomfortable.

i do not know these people and i wish for it to remain this way. since they are active in my area, i have to go underground.

if a stranger who only knows you from your caching logs ever does the equivalent of drunk-calling you at work to talk about their immoral and distasteful behavior you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about.

I fit nicely in the (2) category.

A true FTF hound would either pelt the other party with large rocks to get them to leave, or else sneak up behind them and whack them with a stick. Nothing gets in the path of dedicated FTF'er.

if a stranger who only knows you from your caching logs ever does the equivalent of drunk-calling you at work to talk about their immoral and distasteful behavior you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about.

So.... another cacher send you immoral and distasteful PM's at work? Did you report them?

So.... another cacher send you immoral and distasteful PM's at work? Did you report them?

you'll notice that i said "equivalent"; i don't feel it's appropriate to describe it fully in a public forum. it wasn't like a stalking; it was more like a sick person in need of help. there's not much to report.

Immediately freeze in your tracks. Don't move a muscle. Take only shallow, slow breaths. Act like a mannekin. If they see you and approach you, they will be curious. Try not to blink or move your eyes from a blank stare and remain motionless. If they poke at you with a stick, ignore it. Eventually they will get really scared and think you are a lunatic or a diseased zombie , and will vacate the area. Then you may resume your search. If you encounter them later, or they tell on you, act as normal as you can and they will sound like they're the crazy ones. Warning: This doesn't work with C.O.'s. They will know you're full of carp and will kick you behind your knees to drop you. :rolleyes:

you'll notice that i said "equivalent"; i don't feel it's appropriate to describe it fully in a public forum. it wasn't like a stalking; it was more like a sick person in need of help. there's not much to report.

She's too polite to mention me by name, but I don't mind telling the story. I've apologized enough to her already and if she's not going to accept it then there's not much I can do. The hate filled email I sent to Flask was after I had spent a horrible few days trying to get AT&T to stop billing me for service that I'd long ago canceled, I was in a really bad mood, and I was letting off steam. Well, it wasn't an email, it was a PM. But really, I'm only human so sue me if I let something get to me. And it wasn't hateful so much as just a general sharing of random things that happened to me during my day. It was a pretty pleasant PM really, since the AT&T thing actually happened a few weeks later. And now that I think about it, it wasn't Flask either.

Okay, so I sent a nice PM to a new friend and now Flask hides from locals. I just don't understand some folks...

But AT&T has really bad customer service.

She's too polite to mention me by name, but I don't mind telling the story. I've apologized enough to her already and if she's not going to accept it then there's not much I can do. The hate filled email I sent to Flask was after I had spent a horrible few days trying to get AT&T to stop billing me for service that I'd long ago canceled, I was in a really bad mood, and I was letting off steam. Well, it wasn't an email, it was a PM. But really, I'm only human so sue me if I let something get to me. And it wasn't hateful so much as just a general sharing of random things that happened to me during my day. It was a pretty pleasant PM really, since the AT&T thing actually happened a few weeks later. And now that I think about it, it wasn't Flask either.

Okay, so I sent a nice PM to a new friend and now Flask hides from locals. I just don't understand some folks...

But AT&T has really bad customer service.

oh, aren't you the funny one?

i also hide a little on the road; almost without exception when i meet a cacher, the first thing s/he wants to know is how many finds i have.

. . . (5) Play with them a little - Introduce yourself as the local authoritative figure (property owner, manager etc.. NOT a LEO) and you want to know just exactly what they are upto and see how they react for a few minutes.. then break in with some well earned laughter, fess up and cache along with them. You may end up with some new caching buddies!

I have been on the receiving end of this one twice; once in a SC state park while hunting and a marked ranger truck comes swooping in, ranger pops out and asks "what I'm up to" (turns out she was the CO and we had a big laugh) and later while searching on an electrical box on a city street corner for one of those flat magnetic letter caches - marked city policecar does a U-turn, pulls up and the LEO pops-out, "hey, what are you looking for?" - again, a fellow geocacher (with a great sense of humor). Both great people that I was glad to meet -

I've had fun with this one both ways. Several of the AGA geocachers are police, I love riding with one particular Deputy Sheriff and rolling up on cachers. You'd be amazed at the tales they'll tell to cover what they are doing before you say "It's alright, I've already found this one".

I meet people at caches or on the way to and fro pretty regularly. If I see a geo-logo on a shirt or hat or see them carrying a GPS I always ask if they are geocaching. If so and if asked (I usually am) I join them, if not I go on with my cache hunt. If they appear to be friendly muggle folk I almost always invite them along for the hunt and introduce them to the game, even hand them the GPS and let them look for it.

When I come upon cachers actually at the site and looking I introduce myself and look too. If I am FTF I may tell them they are welcome to log it as a shared FTF, if one of them finds it I just log it as a regular find.

Like most everything else in this game it is situational; no two encounters are the same, but if I am hunting with a group, strangers or friends, when I spot the cache I usually back off and let them find it (unless we're on a numbers run, then whoever finds it is expected to call "Found It!"). It's great fun to know where it is and see them look right at it but not recognize it. If time is of the essence I might say "Here's a hint, what was the last thing you touched?"

I can't imagine a scenario where I knew where the cache was and let them leave with a DNF.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

How would you act?

I've never ran into anyone yet,but if i did and it was a far hike to the cache i'd opt for #2.If it was close to my car,well that's why i keep the bigfoot suit in the trunk..... : :anicute: