I became the prey

WVangler

Went to get a cache in Pinnacle Rock State Park (in West Virginia) this last week and had a near-death experience. To get to the cache you have to bushwach to the top of a hill and then attempt to summit a ~40' rock where the cache is. I am into photography so I knew this would be an awesome spot for some shots. To get on top of the rock you have to crawl up a long crack in between the two monolithic slabs. The crack is littered with boulders you have to climb over and about 25 yards up the crack I came face to face (~10') with a bobcat who let out a blood curdling hiss. I yelled, turned and bounded down the rock crack as quickly as I could (did I mention I was wearing a pair of crocs?) and then bounced down the hill looking over my shoulder to see if I was being followed. I wasn't. I think I took every cuss word I knew plus a few new ones and strung them together into one long single word.

Good to hear that you did not get injured while srambling down. Certainly, I do not want to diminish your adventure. I can imagine that seeing a big and angry cat so close to ones face is quite shocking. However, I do not think there actually was a significant danger to your life. Here in northern Bavaria, after decades of efforts, finally bobcats have become a -still smal, but growing- part of the natural fauna again (although they are of the species lynx lynx, which is slightly larger than the lynx rufus you find in the continental US). Anyhow, I do not know of a documented case where a bobcat actually killed a human. Even medically significant non-lethal attacks are exceedingly rare, and in many cases related to rabies. So, forgetting for a moment the unpleasant circumstances of the encounter, I think we should all count ourselves lucky to be living in parts of the world where it is still possible to see large mammals in their natural habitat.

Cheers from Germany,

Dominik

Yeah, I guess I overstated a bit. I was really just on an adrenelin rush since it scared me so bad. I have a degree in Biology and am an avid outdoorsman so it really isn't the prospect that got me as worked up as it was the surprise. Not really what you expect to run into out looking for caches.

I found out from someone watching the cache log reports that there is another direction to get to the top of the rocks and that he would meet me and go with me next time I'm in that area. I'll attempt it again.

Yeah, I guess I overstated a bit. I was really just on an adrenelin rush since it scared me so bad. I have a degree in Biology and am an avid outdoorsman so it really isn't the prospect that got me as worked up as it was the surprise. Not really what you expect to run into out looking for caches.

I found out from someone watching the cache log reports that there is another direction to get to the top of the rocks and that he would meet me and go with me next time I'm in that area. I'll attempt it again.

I ran up on one years ago, as a teenager. Had a chance to look at him for a while before he decided to head the other direction.

THey actually aren't as big as you might think, but I'll bet he _appeared_ 3 foot tall and covered in fire, to you. :)

Glad everything came out allright!

:laughing: Bobcats. When I was a little girl, we were on our way to visit relatives. On the side of the road was a little grey kitten. Being little girls, my sister and I were like "We have to go get it, Mommy. It'll get smashed on the road. We can't let it die!" So mom grudingly pulled the car over and backed up to the kitten. As we approached the poor kitty, it sprung up in the air and bounded into the undergowth as a much larger version of it sprang up and bounded towards my sister and I. EEEK! Baby Bobcat! I don't think I've ever moved so fast before or after.

I live in North Mississippi, and have heard from other turkey hunters of having a bobcat stalk up on them as they call. Have even heard of one or 2 that had the bobcat pounce on them before the cat realized they were NOT a turkey.

Many people say that their cry is one of the most haunting things that you will ever hear in your life and that it will send chills down your spine like nothing else. I've not experienced the sound of one yet, but I kind of hope I never do.

They are beautiful creatures, though.

I have heard from other turkey hunters of having a bobcat stalk up on them as they call.

Something similar happened to me, but it was during a wild hog hunt. We were scouting a new area, and found a bunch of fresh rooting. The sun was going down, and we wanted to stick around and see what showed up. Since we were there to scout, not hunt, we didn't have our treestands or hunting firearms. I donned my Ghillie suit and sat against a tree with overhanging foliage.

The only part of me that was visible was my eyes. I saw a decent sized male cat walking along a trail past me. He stopped in mid stride, then began a stalk, creeping ever closer to me. I think he was stalking my eyes, as I blinked. When he got about 5' away, I pointed my Glock at him and said "Boo!". He leaped up in the air, turned in flight and tore up the ground in his rapid flight away from me. :)

I live in North Mississippi, and have heard from other turkey hunters of having a bobcat stalk up on them as they call. Have even heard of one or 2 that had the bobcat pounce on them before the cat realized they were NOT a turkey.

Many people say that their cry is one of the most haunting things that you will ever hear in your life and that it will send chills down your spine like nothing else. I've not experienced the sound of one yet, but I kind of hope I never do.

When I was younger, I used to bullhead fish at my parents cabin in northern Wisconsin at night. I remember many times sitting out on the pier and listening to the loons and frogs. There were quite a few times when all of a sudden we would hear the most terrifying sounds that we ever heard in the woods. It would make the hair on our arms and necks stand straight up. It was the bobcats down in the swamps. The only way I could describe the sound is to say that we honestly thought that there might be some young woman being tortured somewhere. I's been many years since I have heard that sound, and that is one sound that I will never forget.

You have to watch out for those bobcats; especially the kittens. They're very sneaky! Here's one that almost got into our house.

cat-thief1.jpg

Staff Sargeant to Kitty Holdup Artiste:

"You! Sir! The one with the Beretta! This is MondoRangemaster III! Giiiiit yer finger OUT of that triggerguard, nooooooW! Keeeep yer finger outside that trigger guard--and DON'T PLAY HOLDUP WITH KITTENS EVIRRRRR AGIN'!

(Takes kitten off your hands and makes you do 10,000 pushups (hand clapping type) on the spot!)

+++Real Geocachers Don't Point Guns At Kittens+++ (Bobcats Possibly, but Never Kittens ;->)

Squirrely regards from,

I had a similar experience like Clan Riffster had. I was early season squirrel hunting about 20 years ago. Was sitting with my back against a nice hickory tree, and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a cat coming towards me, and then beginning a stalk... As it got closer, I realized that it was a Bobcat. I let it get about 20' away, and then sat up quick and said BOO! Just like you might picture a domestic cat, this one arched it's back, jumped straight up in he air, and beat tracks out of there. My squirrel hunting was over for the day, as I couldn't stop laughing every time I thought about it! :D:D:D

My guess is that you ended up sneaking up on the cat, and kind of startled it, and of course, it's then going to react. However, I'm fairly sure that it would really have liked to go the other way real fast, just like you did!

Edited by Stumpy75

When I was younger, I used to bullhead fish at my parents cabin in northern Wisconsin at night. I remember many times sitting out on the pier and listening to the loons and frogs. There were quite a few times when all of a sudden we would hear the most terrifying sounds that we ever heard in the woods. It would make the hair on our arms and necks stand straight up. It was the bobcats down in the swamps. The only way I could describe the sound is to say that we honestly thought that there might be some young woman being tortured somewhere. I's been many years since I have heard that sound, and that is one sound that I will never forget.

On my parents farm here in Minnesota I have heard bobcats. Like you folks have said, its the most unworldly, spooky sound you are likely to hear in the woods. One time we heard it in the evening. My Dad and I jumped in the truck to go look for the cat. Didnt see it, but it was still quite a thrill.

You have to watch out for those bobcats; especially the kittens. They're very sneaky! Here's one that almost got into our house.

cat-thief1.jpg

"You! Sir! The one with the Beretta! This is MondoRangemaster III! Giiiiit yer finger OUT of that triggerguard, nooooooW! Keeeep yer finger outside that trigger guard--and DON'T PLAY HOLDUP WITH KITTENS EVIRRRRR AGIN'!

(Takes kitten off your hands and makes you do 10,000 pushups (hand clapping type) on the spot!)

+++Real Geocachers Don't Point Guns At Kittens+++ (Bobcats Possibly, but Never Kittens ;->)

Squirrely regards from,

I humbly apologize. No more kitten hold ups. From now on I will limit myself to puppies and baby seals. :laughing:

Seriously, this picture is a common one on the internet. I believe that a search for "cat thief" would bring it up. You are right about the finger on the trigger. Totally not cool! <_<

cat-thief1.jpg

Squirrely regards from,

I humbly apologize. No more kitten hold ups. From now on I will limit myself to puppies and baby seals. :blink:

Seriously, this picture is a common one on the internet. I believe that a search for "cat thief" would bring it up. You are right about the finger on the trigger. Totally not cool! :o

I am new on here, but I have got to say that I have seen that one a lot, and it IS pretty funny. However, I have seenfunnier ones, like these. I went to google.com typed in "funny pictures" and clicked on images. Click on the on e that says "this is so funny that it hurts".

Anyways, hve fun looking at them. :o:huh::blink::o

Edited by greenworldfeather
Real Geocachers Don't Point Guns At Kittens

That reminds me of a snarky T-shirt I wanted to get made:

"Every time you hide a film canister, God kills a kitten"

My wife wouldn't let me... sniff. :blink:

You are right about the finger on the trigger. Totally not cool!

How else can you assure a double tap, center mass? Them kittens are kwick! :unsure:

Real Geocachers Don't Point Guns At Kittens

That reminds me of a snarky T-shirt I wanted to get made:

"Every time you hide a film canister, God kills a kitten"

My wife wouldn't let me... sniff. :)

You are right about the finger on the trigger. Totally not cool!

How else can you assure a double tap, center mass? Them kittens are kwick! :(

\

The way i see it that cat is breaking and entering. He is definitely across the threshold. Besides kittens are really dangerous it may have disarmed him before he got the chance to pull the trigger. lol