Paperless geocaching

I've heard of all these programs and macros out on the Internet that are supposed to ease you into paperless geocaching, such as GPX Spinner and GSAK, but I'm one of those people who prefers to just compile and load up the information manually. I use a TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator with NoteFolio software as my paperless geocaching aid, and I have a program on my computer that will allow me to create note files that my calculator accepts, so I don't have to tediously type them into my calculator. I simply choose the geocaches I want all the info for, manually cut and paste them into a file (one note per geocache, with one file able to hold many notes), then just upload the whole file into my calculator, and presto! Paperless geocaching!

Here's what the geocache information looks like in such a file on my calculator:

TI.png

Has anyone else out there chosen to eschew such esoteric macros and just manually transfer the geocache info onto his/her paperless geocaching aid?

Edited by DENelson83

Well, before I got my Colorado or Oregon, I would still load the gpx file into my PocketPC/Cell because it made things much easier. I could ALSO log the find online right from my phone through GPXSonar. Putting the GPX file on my device was simple and I always have my phone/pda with me anyway.

Now. I much more prefer to use my Oregon to do everything. I still carry my XV6800 (PPC/Cell) with me of course, but I don't use GPXSonar anymore.

I've never used GSAK, Spinner or anything else, and in fact I usually just copy and past the coordinates into Mapsource, transfer them to the 60CSx, and hit the road. Since I don't use a PDA or anything else either, I would think this would be considered paperless caching in it's crudest form.

;)

Edited by roadrage64

On my pda I used voice notes for each cache with cachemate, made the whole process really easy.

Thanks for reminding me that my old PDA has a voice recorder. About the only time I enter anything into Cachemate is when I swap a TB or discover. If I have the camera, I'll take photo of the TB# but voice will work great too. Thanks!

I use EasyGPS to copy the GPX files into my 60CX. I copy the same files into my Ipaq 3955 and read them with GPX view. All of this only takes a few minutes. I am sure that it is easier to do all this with one unit like the Oregon, but since I already have these units I don't see any reason to spend the additional money.

I've never used GSAK, Spinner or anything else, and in fact I usually just copy and past the coordinates into Mapsource, transfer them to the 60CSx, and hit the road. Since I don't use a PDA or anything else either, I would think this would be considered paperless caching in it's crudest form.

:anicute:

I used to do the same. I didn't feel like taking the time to download to my gpsr and pda. If I was out and about I would just hunt for a cache without anything, but the name. Now that I have a Colorado I am spoiled. Sure does make a difference having details about the cache in the palm of your hand.

Until I got my new 64-bit computer I used to use GSAK and Cachemate to send PQs to the PDA and waypoints and details to the GPS. It took me about 5 minutes to get 500 waypoints onto both units and then I was out the door. I used that combo recently to get 700 caches onto two gps units and 2 PDAs for a 2500 mile trip across 16 states. It takes a bit longer now that I have to put the PDA files onto an SD card, but it is still much faster than handling each cache individually.

Cut and paste is cool for a handful of caches. I wouldn't want to do it for hundreds of caches.